• 01-18-2013
    drapeado
    Enduro 06 to 2013 Covert ?
    Hi guys

i ride my old spech and i still enjoy it every weekend,....while i keep riding my bike, all of my friends have changed bikes, some of them 2, even 3 times, i keep listening to travel and geo and slacker what ever,me ? just changing brake pads and tyres lol,If i like something i`ll stick to it for some time.

Anyway, a good friend of mine (Banshee dealer) told me about the Covert a few months ago, i instantly loved the looks, he also told me about how strong Transition frames are.... but i lost interest cause as i said i like my bike.......months have passed and i am starting to get worried about my chainstay, every couple of years it snaps so maybe it`s time to buy something and keep the Enduro frame as a souvenir before it hurts me on some nasty landing.....

There`s a Transition dealer close by and i asked them for a test bike, sadly there`s no such bikes for at least a month or so....

To kill some time ( and my curiosity) i wanted an honest opinion from someone that came from an FSR bike to the Covert.

Also, i cant avoid to think that the i2i is very short for 150 or the newer 160mm travel, the "poppy" feeling is surely related to that (?), but how is the bike going down, is it harsh ? cause my enduro is very plush,( dhx 5 coil) sometimes too plush, but it sure helps when going down really fast over bumpy sections or rock gardens.

I`ll be honest, i can`t wait to test this damm bike, it`s starting to mess with my sleep :)

Sorry about my English. Happy trails :thumbsup:
  • 01-18-2013
    dwyooaj
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drapeado View Post

Also, i cant avoid to think that the i2i is very short for 150 or the newer 160mm travel, the "poppy" feeling is surely related to that (?), but how is the bike going down, is it harsh ? cause my enduro is very plush,( dhx 5 coil) sometimes too plush, but it sure helps when going down really fast over bumpy sections or rock gardens.

I`ll be honest, i can`t wait to test this damm bike, it`s starting to mess with my sleep :)

Sorry about my English. Happy trails :thumbsup:

The 2013 covert has a longer shock (8.5 x 2.5) than the previous model years (7.5 x 1.5).
    So dont worry about that. I am also very interested in the new covert.
  • 01-19-2013
    drapeado
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    The 2013 covert has a longer shock (8.5 x 2.5) than the previous model years (7.5 x 1.5).
    So dont worry about that. I am also very interested in the new covert.

Oh sh!t you re right, i didn`t noticed, what an idiot, now i am even more anxious to try the bike.
  • 01-19-2013
    dwyooaj
    Yeah, glad they changed that. At my weight I had zero interest in the old covert with the short shock.
    I think the new covert is my next frame...too bad i had a grand in vet bills today...
  • 01-21-2013
    jmountain
    I have an 08 Specialized Enduro Carbon. It's a hell of a nice bike but I happened to ride the carbon covert at a demo last Fall and it blew the schite out of my Enduro. I was left with a "Are you freaking kidding me?!?" kind of feeling about how stable/playful/good I felt on the Covert.
  • 01-21-2013
    drapeado
    The carbon version is too expensive to me, as for the rest of your post: thank you jmountain for making my waiting even more miserable.

Is it only me, or this years colors are kind of...meh !
  • 01-21-2013
    jmountain
    Quote:

The carbon version is too expensive to me, as for the rest of your post: thank you jmountain for making my waiting even more miserable.

Is it only me, or this years colors are kind of...meh !

Yeah I'll be lucky if I can get the carbon covert. I'll likely just go aluminum because I'm going to build it from a frame up this time.

I have noticed that Transition's bikes definitely look better in person. The photos never show how beefy their frames really are.
  • 01-28-2013
    draculoff
    One guy, who owned a lot of different frames, told me that riding Covert gives much fun, even when compared to more expensive vpp frames. It has a little pedalkick due to single-pivot design but whole suspension works very well for the price.
  • 01-30-2013
    drapeado
    Thx draculoff

i was forced to calm my enthusiasm about the Covert, i mean, i won`t spend my money without riding it 1st, be it a Transition, SC or Special Ed, i want to try it for myself, whenever possible of course. Besides the shop told me one month until they have some test bikes so there`s no point to be thrilled about it, although the "Are you freaking kidding me?!?" quoting jmountain keeps me wondering, i had the exact same feeling some years ago when i rode a Banshee for the 1st time, i instantly bought the bike and became a pround owner for 3 years, i regret selling it, even today; i "see" the same proud around here by Transition owners so let`s see if it happens again....for now i`ll keep riding my Enduro and drop by to check some pics of the new Covert.
  • 02-01-2013
    jmountain
    Quote:

Thx draculoff

i was forced to calm my enthusiasm about the Covert, i mean, i won`t spend my money without riding it 1st, be it a Transition, SC or Special Ed, i want to try it for myself, whenever possible of course. Besides the shop told me one month until they have some test bikes so there`s no point to be thrilled about it, although the "Are you freaking kidding me?!?" quoting jmountain keeps me wondering, i had the exact same feeling some years ago when i rode a Banshee for the 1st time, i instantly bought the bike and became a pround owner for 3 years, i regret selling it, even today; i "see" the same proud around here by Transition owners so let`s see if it happens again....for now i`ll keep riding my Enduro and drop by to check some pics of the new Covert.

For sure get out and do a demo ride of it. This is my rule, never ever buy a bike with out a decent ride on it first.

Be sure to watch Transition's facebook page and maybe even just call them to see if they have demo's planned yet. I intend to get to another demo to ride it again before putting down money, even with how awesome it felt the first time.
  • 02-02-2013
    drapeado
    I already follow the Transition FB page, i also follow the page from Justbikes from Portugal, it`s the shop that told me to hang one month for the test bikes; There`s a pic of a 450 white/ black and green from them in the Transition page,it looks beautiful.
  • 02-05-2013
    ihaveagibsonsg
    I've ridden both the old and new covert. They are good bikes. I've also owned a nomad, reign, reign x, titus el guapo, jamis Dakar xam, gt sanction, gt force, gt sensor, ellsworth truth and a couple others.

Before I owned all of those bikes, I rode a 2010 specialized enduro. I sold it because I was curious of what other bike companies had to offer. Biggest mistake I ever made. After riding all of those bikes, I am back on a 2011 specialized enduro. That has a lot to say about how good specialized made the last generation enduro. The newest generation which just came out is supposed to be even better and if it is, its amazing. I absolutely love my enduro, it easily meets all of the criteria you've listed and then some. I ride hard and the enduro delivers. The newer enduro's are miles ahead of the one you ride right now. They don't even compare.

With all of that said, Transition makes a hell of a bike and they know what they're doing. My backup to my enduro is my transam which I absolutely adore. Hardtails do not get better than the transam. I have more fun on my transam than any other bike and it has more bragging rights too. If I were you, I'd even seriously consider buying a beefy transam and skipping out on a blinged out full suspension bike. The transam rides that good.
  • 02-09-2013
    enduroXtreme
    i owned a 2006 enduro with lyrik coil and dhx5 air for 3 years ( warrentied a chainstay), a nomad 2008 for one year and a half and now im on a 2012 covert for less than 6 months. The enduro is fun bike going down, but its one of the most ineffficient frames in terms on energy loss from pedaling. All this talk you hear about frame designs, geometry etc.. are not mambo jambo... its the evolution of this industry as the AM is pushing its limits and the word enduro is getting more common.

Im more connected to the covert in four months than i have ever been to the nomad or enduro i had for much longer. and both of them are icons.

The covert is a pure enduro machine. as the other two are more AM/FR rigs with a chopper like geo.

This bike feels faster than anything i rode/ test rode, its playful ,involving and shaves corvers that it makes you act silly :) . note that Its not anywhere as plush as FSR or VPP but i like it better... after the anduro and nomad spoild me rutten for years :P as far as rockgadens... you should watch andrea bruno shreddin his covert flying through gnarly sections...

I made this reply extra long for you to kill time till the demo ride :)

With todays top bikes.. you cant go wrong if you go with your heart. thers no bad bike.. just a wrong bike.
  • 02-09-2013
    titusquasi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ihaveagibsonsg View Post
    I've ridden both the old and new covert. They are good bikes. I've also owned a nomad, reign, reign x, titus el guapo, jamis Dakar xam, gt sanction, gt force, gt sensor, ellsworth truth and a couple others.

Dude...how'd you do that in such a short time frame. If they were new that's one thing, but if they were used then you are a zen master of Craigslist. Either way...wow.
  • 02-11-2013
    drapeado
    @ihavegibson: no hardtails for me mate, it is fun for short rides only, i am 36 now, although i am fit my back doesn`t like the punishment on longer rides.

Thx for the reading enduroxtreme, very helpful mate. The geo stuff that differs is the seat tube angle, maybe that`s where the `06 shows it`s age, even without riding one of the newer bikes i believe it will be a lot better, just because it makes sense. The plush(ness) i have on my bike sometimes is welcome, my kind of trails are tough and it helps my unskilled kung fu to keep the speed and momentum, i am aware it`s a bad habit though.

Still, one of my main worries continues to be the chainstay, after watching one snapping on youtube i am always worried with mine, specially on fast jumps or higher drops, falling down cause you`re exploiting your limits is one thing, you even learn from it, but falling because your bike fails you and knowing it could happen isn`t very bright tbh.

About Andrea, forget the Covert man, he is the kind of guy that would trash any bike, anywhere, it`s nice to see his riding, very smooth indeed.

Anyway, the dealer doesn`t have any bikes yet so i keep waiting; one thing for sure, i have the money and soon i`ll drive to some shops to demo some bikes, i would love to try a Transition but if it isnt possible i am sure i`ll find something to replace my Enduro.
  • 03-03-2013
    drapeado
    Well, i give up about getting a Transition, still no demo bikes and they have no idea when it will arrive, "if you order one, though...." it`s a diferent story. I am sure a lot of guys do it, i have no doubt the Covert is a fine bike but personally i can`t do it. Time to check other things i guess.
  • 03-31-2013
    sfr4dr
    Bummer man. What did you end up getting? I was looking at the enduro, nomad, covert, SB66, etc. Ended up with the covert because my coworker wanted to off his with only 4 months of riding on it. I never even rode it and took a gamble.
  • 04-14-2013
    drapeado
    Hi

I ended up with a brand new pair of Minions, so far not a single word from the Transition dealer, but it`s ok, i have my bike anyway. I tried a couple of interesting bikes so far, a Nomad for only 5 minutes and a Commencal Meta, this one is expensive but it felt so great on the trail. I`ll take my time to choose a new frame/bike, i `ll try to test ride some more. Anyway, have fun with your Covert mate !
  • 04-22-2013
    sfr4dr
    Cool. In hindsight I would have liked to try some of the DW link bikes. It sounds like the design might be one of the best all-around compromises. The Pivot Mach 5.7 is a beauty. I'm sure I'll get along well with the Covert but I still nice to look