mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Dropper post length for Scout

Hey guys,

I'm going to buy a KS LEV Integra dropper post for my Medium scout. Problem is I have no idea whether I need 125 mm or 150 mm. I read a bunch of articles on it, but it didn't help much. I have a Medium Frame. I am 5'8". Is it just personal preference what length you use?
    If there's no mountain, it's just biking.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jfett View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm going to buy a KS LEV Integra dropper post for my Medium scout. Problem is I have no idea whether I need 125 mm or 150 mm. I read a bunch of articles on it, but it didn't help much. I have a Medium Frame. I am 5'8". Is it just personal preference what length you use?
    It can be but really you need to get the saddle out of the way as much as possible. Heres some advice Sam gave me on the reverb and my size.

Everyone's leg length and seat height are different, but here is some info to work with...
    Measure your seat height with your favorite saddle from BB center to the center of the rail/clamp.
    Subtract the seat tube length (457mm for L and 495mm for XL)
    What you are left with is the length needed for exposed seatpost, which you can compare with the Reverb (or other) seatposts.

Min insertion line on a Reverb is 90mm, so the 150x430 post can go up to 340mm exposed and the 125x420 post can go up to 330mm. The shorter 125x380 post only gets you 290mm.

If you are super close to that number going a couple mm beyond the min insertion shouldn't be a problem, but obviously proceed with caution and don't push anything too far.
    Put your phone down and get riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenspink View Post
    Min insertion line on a Reverb is 90mm, so the 150x430 post can go up to 340mm exposed and the 125x420 post can go up to 330mm. The shorter 125x380 post only gets you 290mm.
    Would you mind explain where 150x430, 125x420, and 125x380 came from?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So for a Reverb of 150 travel is 430mm in length with a max exposed post length of 340.

This might be a useful thread KS Lev dropper post. What size you riding? « Singletrack Forum

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jfett View Post
    Hey guys,

No, its not that simple. You have to make sure you don't have too much post. If the post is all the way inserted in the frame and you extend the seat up and its in a too high position that's the wrong dropper. You want the post to extend out all the way to your seated position. You will adjust the seat post by how much post is inserted into the frame.

I had a Large Scout and had a 125 dropper, I am 5'10". I could have gone with the 150 but the 125 worked.

Easiest way to measure what dropper you need is if you have a seat post on you bike now measure the exposed seat post from frame to seat.

If you don't have a seat post now borrow one for a measurement.

Then use this for the KS.

Measure your non dropper post.

Make sure your measurement from frame to bottom of seat is within "B" + "F" and that tells you what you need...roughly.

Dropper post length for Scout-876866d1362053352-125-150-dropper-post-776233d1362053352-ks-lev-125mm-am-i-first-have-misure_lev.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Ahh ok. Thank you for the picture. That helps a lot

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Anyone know the max seatpost insertion length on a medium scout? I just got one used off of CL and I'm scratching my head a bit on dropper sizing. I'm pretty short (5'7") but I have enough exposed seatpost for a 125mm dropper (8"). On the other hand my seatpost bottoms out 6.5" into the seat tube, for a total length of 14.5" or 368mm.

When I stick a tape measure into the tube it bottoms on the pivot at about 8.5", but it appears the machining only goes down 6.5" causing my seat tube to bottom. Is this what other people are finding? It seems odd as if the tube was machined I would get an extra 2" of seatpost and able to fit a 125mm dropper as opposed to a 100mm dropper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    here is a link for the Integra.

LEV-Integra-drawing.pdf

Transition is including 125 and 150 mm KS lev integras on their bikes.

Look at value D, then double check your measurements. I think you got something mixed up?

According to the chart you would use a 100mm dropper.
    Last edited by BluePitch; 03-15-2016 at 05:54 PM.