mtbr member
    May 2004

Dirtbag questions related to Nomad

I currently ride a SC Nomad (large) with a DHX 5.0 coil and Fox 36 Fit RC2. It's my all mountain bike, and I really do ride it everywhere - lots of steep technical climbs and descents. The problem is I don't want to beat it by hucking it a whole lot it since it's my only trail bike.

I'm looking for another bike that will still pedal okay, but will handle drops and more abusive riding. What are people's thoughts on a large Dirtbag with a DHX. 5.0 coil and Totem coil? Will this be different enough of a ride from my Nomad? Just don't want to end up with 2 very similar bikes. I also don't really want a full fledged DH rig that plows down hills. I like being able to throw around bikes and actually pedal them.

mtbr member
    I can't speak to the Dirtbag based on any personal experience, but it is certainly burlier than the nomad, can take a front derailleur and can probably grind to the top of climbs OK if you weren't in a hurry. The nomad, esp with coil shock and 36 fork is a pretty burly setup itself depending one what other components are on there. To me it might make more sense to either pick up a second set of wheels for the nomad, or beef up the nomad somewhat and look into a slighter more dedicated trail/xc bike. I'm just not sure that the difference between the two is large enough...the nomad will handle abuse nearly as well, will build up lighter and probably pedal better too. To have a significant gap, you'd need a DHish bike like the TR250 or 450 (to use transition bikes) and you said that was not what you want.

Flow
    I have a dirtbag built that weighs 36 lbs with single ply tires that I use to climb up so that I can bomb back down. I have very limited time on a nomad which was also a size to small. In my opinion, the frames are similar but you can put a larger fork on the dirtbag and dual ply tires which would result in a very different bike than a nomad with a lighter build. Plus, dirtbag frames can be had for cheap.