Deere Rider

Describe the Transition "ride" for me...

I am looking hard at the new Covert 29 as an all 'round trail bike/ Porcupine Rim killer. I am 6'3" and my last three bikes were a '10 Yeti ASR 7 (80mm stem, 28" bars), '07 Specialized Enduro (90mm stem 28" bars), and '11 Giant Anthem X29 (100mm stem, 27" bars)...all XL frames. The top tube and reach are a bit shorter than my current Anthem and a lot shorter than the ASR 7.

I realize that the shorter reach is part of the Transition "ride", but what does that mean? Can somebody lay that out for me? I am nowhere near a dealer and have no chance to demo a bike...I would like to preorder. I buy bikes based on thorough internet research and comparisons to what I rode in the past. If I can convince myself that I can be comfortable on the shorter top tube, I'm good to go. Am I going to feel like there is excess weight on my arms while pedaling in the saddle for extended periods?

I always set up a bike so my position over the pedals is biomechanically correct and choose the stem length to provide a comfortable reach depending on the top tube length. Years ago I was riding bikes in the 24" top tube range but was using 110-120mm stems. Not exaclty šll-mountain". Recently top tubes have been in the 25-25.5" range with stems in the 80-100mm range.

I have a 750mm bar on the way and I'm guessing the stem may need to be around 70-80mm to be comfortable on an XL Covert 29 frame. Is this wrong?

Any help on quantifying the Transition "ride" or advice from tall Bandit riders is GREATLY appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    TQ, I know you were looking for Bandit riders but I thought I would throw this out there for you. I have only had a Transam 29 for about 2 months now and for comparison my other trail bike is a Yeti SB-66. I'm 6'2 and run a 60mm stem on the Transam 29 and 50mm on the SB-66 with around 30" bars on both. I will say that the Transam has a very upright feel as the head and seat tube angles are steeper. Its almost has a poppy feel to it if that makes sense however comparing it to my sb66 isn't apples to apples. The best way I can describe the Transition I have it fun. Want to climb some...it can do it. Want to descend...let it fly.

I'm glad you started this thread as the Covert 29 is a bike I'm looking at. I thought about the Bandit as the Geo looks better on paper for me, but I don't like that it is not a 4" rear travel bike. If it was still 130mm that is probably what I would get.

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    TQ, I know you were looking for Bandit riders but I thought I would throw this out there for you. I have only had a Transam 29 for about 2 months now and for comparison my other trail bike is a Yeti SB-66. I'm 6'2 and run a 60mm stem on the Transam 29 and 50mm on the SB-66 with around 30" bars on both. I will say that the Transam has a very upright feel as the head and seat tube angles are steeper. Its almost has a poppy feel to it if that makes sense however comparing it to my sb66 isn't apples to apples. The best way I can describe the Transition I have it fun. Want to climb some...it can do it. Want to descend...let it fly.

I'm glad you started this thread as the Covert 29 is a bike I'm looking at. I thought about the Bandit as the Geo looks better on paper for me, but I don't like that it is not a 4" rear travel bike. If it was still 130mm that is probably what I would get.
    What size SB-66 and Transam 29 are you riding? My XL ASR 7 is great for long range comfort and high speed stability with the long top tube and wheelbase, but I think I'm ready to try something a bit more "playful". If I had kept the Yeti I was going to a 50-60mm stem with 30" bars.

My interest in the Covert 29 comes from a love of 29" wheels with a need for longer than standard travel. I don't care how big your wheel is, 4" is 4" when you drop off a 4' jump. I had been looking at the WFO but I wasn't excited about the geo. There are many bikes in the 120-130mm range but my cutoff is 140mm. If I'm going to settle for 130 then why not look at 120? By then you are under 5" and that's too short. I realize this is a bit arbitrary...but that's just me. I like the TBLT and Prime, but travel is not 140mm. I also like that with a 140mm bike you can extend the new Float 34 to 150mm and not be way off on front to back travel.

I basically want a 29" version of my ASR 7 and from the looks of things, the 140-150mm range may be tops for the big wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    What size SB-66 and Transam 29 are you riding? My XL ASR 7 is great for long range comfort and high speed stability with the long top tube and wheelbase, but I think I'm ready to try something a bit more "playful". If I had kept the Yeti I was going to a 50-60mm stem with 30" bars.

My interest in the Covert 29 comes from a love of 29" wheels with a need for longer than standard travel. I don't care how big your wheel is, 4" is 4" when you drop off a 4' jump. I had been looking at the WFO but I wasn't excited about the geo. There are many bikes in the 120-130mm range but my cutoff is 140mm. If I'm going to settle for 130 then why not look at 120? By then you are under 5" and that's too short. I realize this is a bit arbitrary...but that's just me. I like the TBLT and Prime, but travel is not 140mm. I also like that with a 140mm bike you can extend the new Float 34 to 150mm and not be way off on front to back travel.

I basically want a 29" version of my ASR 7 and from the looks of things, the 140-150mm range may be tops for the big wheels.
    They are both XL frames. I had a XL Yeti 7 before too. Man I loved that bike as you could ride just about everything and they bike felt planted. As you say though...it wasn't all that poppy. To me the 66 is probably right in the middle of poppy and plush when you need it.

I'm with you on this. I don't think that I could do down that much in travel as I like my full suspension bikes to be able to take punishment so my body doesn't have to. Well that and I want to be able to use it on the trail, park, urban, whatever. That's why the Covert appeals to me. Too bad I cannot find anyway to demo one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm right with the OP in looking for a 29er that can do it all and still fit a big guy. Lately I've been demoing a few different rides. I spent some time on a Banshee Prime and found the L to be too snug during climbs and the XL with a WB of 48" is not appetizing to me. The Covert 29 in XL has a similar length TT and the parking-lot pedaling I have done with it hasn't impressed me as much as the Bandit did (less pop and playfulness), but that could be attributed the heavy Hans Dampf that are equipped on it F&R. The bike I've enjoyed the most has been the Yeti SB-95 in an XL. It has a nice long TT, fits great, and climbs like a Goat through the technical SoCal trails.

The only other bikes that are worth a look in this category (that I'm aware of) are the FSR EVO and the Tallboy LT, both have their pros and cons.

I'm leaning towards the SB-95, personally, but sure wish that the Banshee Prime or Transition Covert 29 felt a bit better in the climbs. When it gets steep, the upright position just isn't comfortable to sustain, and we have to climb before we descend here in SoCal.

mtbr member

Describe the Transition "ride" for me...

I'm 6'3" and I've been riding a 2012 large bandit 29 for a year. It's the 140mm model. I lean towards freeride and dirt jumping, so I'm used to more compact bikes, but riding the large hasn't bothered me at all (even though they say I should be on the XL).

I have a 60mm stem and 800mm bars. The wide bars help offset the shorter top tube. I get plenty of leg extension with my Reverb. It feels a little short on the climbs, but I don't feel like it's a bother, and it's awesome when I turn around and go down.

Like all of Transitions bikes, it's just a bit slacker, shorter, and more aggressive than most comparable bikes. There's always a little bias toward the descent.

Anyway, I wouldn't let the numbers game get in your head too much.