mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Creaking/clicking noise in Covert Frame

After many hours of hunting the noise i need all the help i can get before this drives me crazy.
    I can reproduce the sound when "preloading" the rear by sitting on the saddle or pulling the chainstay up and then pushing the bike against the wall or pulling the front brake. Sometimes its sufficient to compress the shock.
    It seems the sound is coming from the top tube but of course the reason can be anywhere else.
    Without the "preloading" there is no creak/clicking so the reason can not be in the fork/headtube section.
    When i dismount the shock after the "preloading" before i push it to the wall, i can also hear the sound so the reason can not be the shock or the shock mounts.
    What i have also tried so far whithout success:
    - put out the rear wheel and - unmounted the cranks (though the sound is not related to pedaling) -> same sound
    - cleaned the setpost, saddle mounts, use a different seat post and saddle -> same sound
    - disassembled the rear triangle: cleaning, checking the bearings (replaced them all some months ago)

So the only thing that is left is the frame itself but i can not see any creaks in the frame. Is it possible that there is a creak inside the tubes or under the coating which causes this?

thx

mtbr member
    May 2013

I had somethin similar. It was the seatpost. Applied some grease and it was gone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I already cleaned and greased it and even tried another saddle and seatpost -> no luck.

It seems some kind of tension builds up in the frame when compressing the suspension which unloads when the front wheel hits the wall or i pull the front break.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Did you check crown race and headset?

mtbr member
    May 2013

All this was making me crazy, i even had my reverb at service....

mtbr member
    May 2013

What fork eo you use? Steelspring also make some noise.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I clamped the fork into the bench and tried to reproduce the sound but there was no play or sound.
    It is a steel spring fork so i could remove the spring and check it again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Spent some time again in the cellar: its definitely the rear supension or the frame but how to find out if its the frame?

mtbr member
    May 2013

I am sorry, but i am out of ideas.

Just maybe my last hint, i had to put quite some grease to silence the seatpost. Is it without seatpost as well?

cnut
    With the rear shock installed, is there any vertical play? i.e. when you lift the saddle, is there any movement before the bike lifts off the ground? If so, your shock bushings may need replacing.

If not, remove the rear shock and cycle the suspension through its travel and wiggle it side to side. Does it run smoothly or does it feel rough? Is there any play at all? If it's rough or there's any excess movement you night need new pivot bearings. You could also try removing the pivot hardware and regreasing it and making sure its all torqued up properly. It should all run smooth and (pretty much) silent.

While you're at it, check the rear brake mounts, disc rotor bolts, saddle rails, bb, cranks, pedals and headset (again).

Edit: the most recent clicking/play on mine was the pads moving in the front brake caliper! Apparently it's quite normal on XTR brakes...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Suspension runs very smooth, no play and i checked every bearing. It would be possible that one of the bearings produces the sound under the load, but i would need to replace them one by one to find out and they have been replaced some months ago.
    I use Huber Bushings and replaced the plastic parts to make sure there is no play.
    It is not reated to the cranks, bb or brakes since i can reproduce it while all these parts are removed from the frame.
    What i also did was to use a tool instead of the upper shock mount screw so i can easily remove it after applying the load on the suspension. This tells me that the shock is not needed to reproduce it and that the sound can be triggered by wiggling this tool which applies some load to the shock mount and downtube.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My previous Bandit had a similar issue. After all the obvious attempts(bottom bracket, cassette, head set) I popped the covers off of the frame bearings and packed them with grease. A couple were pretty dry. No more creaks.
    My new Bandit had the same problem that sounded like the head tube area and did all the same things with no good results. Fix was cleaning and greasing the stem bolts. I swore it was the frame making the noise and was a little concerned with the amount of flex in the head tube area when tweaking the bars trying to reproduce the clicking. All's well now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I gave up and re-assembled the bike again. Either one of the new bearings is creaking under load (though it turns smoothly otherwise) or the frame has a yet invisible crack so i will have to live with it until the crack shows up or i can replace all the bearings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    After some further investigation i found the cracks shown in the images . I can't imagine that this would cause the clicking sound but i think it would be possible. Is this something i should be concerned about? Are there any frame replacement options of Transition in such a case?

Creaking/clicking noise in Covert Frame-covert_crack_left.jpgCreaking/clicking noise in Covert Frame-covert_crack_right.jpg

connisseur
    Do you have a clutch type rear der? Mine will make that sound sometime when compressing the susp off the bike, sounds like it's in the linkage somewhere but it's the der

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
    Do you have a clutch type rear der? Mine will make that sound sometime when compressing the susp off the bike, sounds like it's in the linkage somewhere but it's the der
    Nope, no clutch. It even makes the sound with the derailleur taken off.

Are there any opinions on the little cracks on both sides of the frame?

thx

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erpete View Post
    Nope, no clutch. It even makes the sound with the derailleur taken off.

Are there any opinions on the little cracks on both sides of the frame?

thx
    I would call Transition about those cracks in the weld. They are really good guys and serious about warranty issues. Whenever I've had any issues and called they always are easy to deal with.
    Last edited by trailbrain; 06-18-2014 at 06:58 AM.

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    Stop riding the bike and call Transition. No such thing as a "minor" frame crack. They'll take care of you in a very fair way.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    thx a lot, will do.

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erpete View Post
    thx a lot, will do.
    Curious if you ever figured the noise out. I've got a 2014 Covert 29 that has a sound identical to what yours was like under the same conditions. Driving me batty.
    [URL=https://www.juststopandthink.com/david-nassar-religion-the-movie-religion-video/[/URL]

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yes, as you can see from the pictures above it was a crack in the weld near the head tube. I got a replacement for half of the regular price from the distributor.

just a man
    Ok thx. Glad you got it all resolved!
    [URL=https://www.juststopandthink.com/david-nassar-religion-the-movie-religion-video/[/URL]

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Good to see your were able to get a discount and new front triangle.
    THE RIDESTOKE COLLECTIVE
    https://ridestoke.com