Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steve.E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    748

    Covert 'V2' (2010/2011) - small bumps?

    Hi guys

    I'm on the look out for a new frame, the Covert has recently caught my eye after I initially dismissed it - not sure why I did. Anyway.

    I'm coming off an Enduro SL with a DHX 5 coil rear (ti spring).

    In all the videos I have seen of the Covert, quite often they're on very nicely groomed smooth trails, this combined with a few posts about the frame not being very good with small bumps has just given me a bit of a worry about getting one - I live in the UK (yorkshire) and a lot of the trails I ride are very bumpy, lots of old fallen cobble stones and rocks from walls.

    My Enduro is very plush at the moment. I want a bike that can do it all, has to have great bump compliance, but at the same time be a good climber (very steep terrain here) I also want it to do a bit of everything - seeing people take gaps, drops and jumps on the Covert is very inspiring.

    SO - how is the Covert with the RP23 on small bumps, climbing and big hits?
    A very small number of people have gone for a coil (DHX5 and Elka in picture thread) - is this a good decision?

    I appreciate any input from those who've ridden a Covert in similar terrain
    Cheers
    Steve
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1
    Climbs very well - but Ive got Talas forks so i can keep the front down on the most steep bits. But Im talking really steep when I dial the travel down.

    As for bump compliance if you have the latest shock and forks, set them up properly then you will be fine. Its a pretty standard single pivot bike, so the shock will work well, the forks Ive got, 2011 Fox Talas 36's are pretty much the best money can buy, so they are great.

    Compared to my previous bike, it outperformas them easily. Ive had Whyte, Spesh and Orange.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Neily03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    220
    Hi Steve, I've had my Covert V2 for almost a year with the RP23 and a 36 Float RC2 fork and love it. Been all over England, Wales and Scotland with and it just get better the harder you push it. My previous bike was an 07 Stumpy FSR and imo even the 160mm fork on the Covert it climbs almost as well as the stumpjumper.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: adamm3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    146
    I had the same question when i bought my V2 last year...and I decided on the DHX Air. The bike felt great going down but even with the ProPedal on it still bobbed going up. I had a problem with it leaking down, so my shop sent if off for repair and gave me an RP23 to use while waiting. Long story short the DHX never went back on the bike. The RP23 climbs so much better and still gives 98% of what the DHX gave going down.

    If you take the time to set up things right i don't think you will be disappointed in the Covert. I run 30% sag in the rear and just flip the ProPedal to climb.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steve.E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    748
    This is music to my ears..

    I was dead set on the DHX air, I have a DHX 5 coil on my Enduro and it's so plush, I instantly thought the DHX would be better for the Covert, but lots of people say the RP23 is fine, so this puts my mind at ease a bit.

    Neil - cheers for the advice, it seems like your bike progression has been pretty similar (fsr to linkage driven single pivot) and it's reassuring that you've had it ragged around the country a bit! I've got a trip to Glentress and Innerleithen coming up mid-April and will hopefully give the Covert a good test by then!

    Just this evening I have ordered some BOS Deville forks (160mm), and have a test ride on the Covert this Sunday.

    I'd still like to hear some comments on those who have put a coil on the Covert though!
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    41
    I've ridden several shocks on my Covert at this point. The RP23 is definitely the best balance of pedal efficiency to bump compliance - especially with the latest tune spec'ed for the Covert.

    But day-in-day-out, I love the DHX coil on there. If you run a granny ring on there, the pedaling is still very good and it doesn't bother me with my single ring 34t up front. The bump compliance is out of this world good!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Neily03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    220
    Just to add, when my RP23 is due for a service in about April i'll be getting it Push'd which will make it even better.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steve.E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    748
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuch
    I've ridden several shocks on my Covert at this point. The RP23 is definitely the best balance of pedal efficiency to bump compliance - especially with the latest tune spec'ed for the Covert.

    But day-in-day-out, I love the DHX coil on there. If you run a granny ring on there, the pedaling is still very good and it doesn't bother me with my single ring 34t up front. The bump compliance is out of this world good!
    Sounds great that the RP23 is so good - I'd pretty much turned to teh opinion that all air shocks must be crap after installing a DHX coil on my Enduro

    What is this RP23 tune spec'd for the Covert? Is this done on the factory shock included with the frame or do tftuned/mojo do it?
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

  9. #9
    never summer
    Reputation: singlefin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    240
    Mine came with the 2011 RP23 that has high volume can, med tune, and boost valve at 250.

    With ProPedal on set at 2 climbs great and hand handles large hits fine, honestly I'll forget its on til I get into something slow where I find myself higher in the travel and notice it. Off it works great and feels really compliant and confident in the chunky loose rocks. Tire pressure also plays a part in this too though.

    I'm on the heavy side, 200lbs geared up. So I kinda gave up on a sag setting, when I had sag set proper it was pretty stiff and but still had full travel. Went softer and I would be in the middle of the travel with ProPedal off, felt way better, and still doesn't bottom out. Heard some people say that the LV can would be better for a heavier ride like myself...figure next time I do the seals I'll give one a shot.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steve.E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    748
    Great info singlefin, I'm about 200lb geared up I guess.

    How much sag do you have?

    BTW my BOS deville's arrived today, I think they're gonna look so awesome on a Covert
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.E
    Sounds great that the RP23 is so good - I'd pretty much turned to teh opinion that all air shocks must be crap after installing a DHX coil on my Enduro

    What is this RP23 tune spec'd for the Covert? Is this done on the factory shock included with the frame or do tftuned/mojo do it?
    Scuch is referring to the tune that Fox does for our OEM spec shock on that bike. It is included with the frame...

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steve.E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    748
    Thanks, that's good to know
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steve.E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    748
    Just put a deposit down on a 2011 medium in black Can't wait, it's gonna look so pimp with my white stans rims and white BOS Deville fork
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: adamm3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    146
    the black one should be sweet...you wont regret it...this bike rips

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Neily03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.E
    Just put a deposit down on a 2011 medium in black Can't wait, it's gonna look so pimp with my white stans rims and white BOS Deville fork

  16. #16
    rider of bicycles
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by Neily03
    Just to add, when my RP23 is due for a service in about April i'll be getting it Push'd which will make it even better.
    This for sure. I've had my V2 for a little over a year and sent my RP23 to Push for a rebuild and revalve. OMG, what an improvement. Overall performance is better in every way, including small bump compliance.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steve.E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    748
    Hi again all instead of making a new thread I thought I'd ask here.

    Can anyone recommend a good front derailleur for my Covert?

    I run a dual ring and bash setup, been recommended the SLX front derailleurs, is this the one I want? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=28028

    The covert apparently needs a 'bottom pull derailleur' is this different to dual pull?

    I'm a bit lost when it comes to FD's!
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    38
    had the m665 myself. dual pull means u can use either bottom or top pull. so you should be fine with it.

    check this:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830656705.pdf
    (only found the german one right now, but just checking out the picture under the m665 headline should do the trick)

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Neily03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.E
    Hi again all instead of making a new thread I thought I'd ask here.

    Can anyone recommend a good front derailleur for my Covert?

    I run a dual ring and bash setup, been recommended the SLX front derailleurs, is this the one I want? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=28028

    The covert apparently needs a 'bottom pull derailleur' is this different to dual pull?

    I'm a bit lost when it comes to FD's!
    Yes Steve that's correct. Though I use an XTR with a double and a bash.

  20. #20
    never summer
    Reputation: singlefin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    240
    Using SRAM X9 front and rear with e.13 DRS.

  21. #21
    never summer
    Reputation: singlefin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa
    This for sure. I've had my V2 for a little over a year and sent my RP23 to Push for a rebuild and revalve. OMG, what an improvement. Overall performance is better in every way, including small bump compliance.
    Gonna do the same with my Talas and RP23 since I'm down for a bit with another shoulder injury.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    703
    are they matte or gloss black?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steve.E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    748
    Quote Originally Posted by gunt pimp
    are they matte or gloss black?
    Good question, don't have a clue! I would assume gloss.

    Thanks for the FD info chaps, I'll get that SLX.
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Neily03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.E
    Good question, don't have a clue! I would assume gloss.
    I'm not so sure... They do the TR250 in matt black....

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    703
    i do dig the matte over the gloss

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •