likes bicycles

Covert V1.5 - Chainstay broke at weld

I've loved this bike from day one. We've been through a lot together, and my heart broke along with the chainstay.

I was riding the Tahoe Rim Trail today and had to hike it out. As you can see below, the break was right on the weld. I guess she just had enough.

Has anyone out there broke a V1.5 recently? I'm a student, so really hoping I can figure something out with this...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vitale232 View Post
    I'm a student, so really hoping I can figure something out with this...
    Sounds like you have two options...

Track down a replacement rear triangle... or chain stay...

Or

Have it welded by someone who is an artist with aluminum fab... the right person should be able to fix that up just like new... though it will never be as pretty, no reason that couldn't be tig'd back together.

mtbr member
    Are those just butted together? I always figured they were shouldered dropouts that were slid in and welded.

Either way - like htek said, have a competent weldor fry that thing back together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Call Transition. I broke a Vagrant frame a couple years ago. It was way out of warranty and Transition sold me a new frame at 1/2 price. They could've easily told me to pound sand, but they took care of me. They'll give you some options, give them a call.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

likes bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    Call Transition. I broke a Vagrant frame a couple years ago. It was way out of warranty and Transition sold me a new frame at 1/2 price. They could've easily told me to pound sand, but they took care of me. They'll give you some options, give them a call.
    You were spot on. Well taken care of by Transition.

Offered up a replacement part or a Bandit on the cheap. Seeing as this is my second time breaking the V1 Covert, I'm getting a new frame.

You've gotta love this company. Giving terrific options to a customer when they're 3-4 years out of warranty. Glad I decided to support them!

EveryDay
    Aug 2011

Covert Fail

Covert Build 1 2013 chainstay fail. hmmmm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Covert V1.5 - Chainstay broke at weld-covert-fail.jpg  

likes bicycles
    Bummer! How'd it happen?

I'm sure they'll take care of you. Hopefully they have a triangle in stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk now Free

EveryDay
    Aug 2011

just riding along

I was just riding along, literally. 900 miles from home so it was a total loss of a bike trip. I've ridden the bike hard but failure occurred during normal light braking. I live in alaska so it took 3 weeks to to send it back. I was hoping they'd just send a new frame cause this bike was new and I'm worried that when it failed it stressed or bent main triangle. They wanted to look at it so no resolution yet. There is no weld where it broke clean all at once. Weird catastrophic failure. Heat treated? Love the bike but must admit I'm a bit shaken. Transition still has to opportunity to make this right, they've treated me real good so far on my TransAM.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Covert V1.5 - Chainstay broke at weld-covert-fail-2.jpg  

likes bicycles
    That's pretty nuts, dude. Just comparing the pictures between my bike and yours, mine was due to break, yours sure doesn't look like it.

I'm interested to hear what they say and how they take care of you. Keep us in the loop and include pics of the new part(s) that are probably headed your way.

And I'm far from an expert, but it's really, really hard to imagine a rear triangle breakage producing a force capable of damaging the front.

EveryDay
    Aug 2011

Covert Warranty Progress

Agreed. This thing was not due to break. 10 months old with rides split amongst quiver. I'll post replacement pic and update like you suggested. Looking at the break it seems like its pulled apart and torqued there by break force. With no weld at break I wonder if the frame was not heat treated after welding. Super weird for the frame to fail all at once like that. I mistakenly thought only carbon breaks like that. I also agree that main frame should be fine but my confidence is trippin. I bought this bike for AM durability. Between the complete failure of the Haven hubs and the snapped frame each terminating otherwise awesome bike vacations this has been my least dependable bike ever and for an over 5k build. It's also the best handling bike I've ever ridden so I'll try to keep my mind open.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Carbon actually splinters when it breaks as the fibers come apart. Sucks your bike broke. I haven't broken either of my Transition bikes yet, but did blow up two of their hubs. Those guys took care of the warranty each time and were very responsive. You can even call them if your concerned.

unrooted
    DAMN't.

I was just looking at a used 13' covert29 that looks to be in good condition for a great price, but the biggest reason I want one is because it seemed like a bike that would last me a good 5 years.

You would think such a heavy frame would be super solid!

EveryDay
    Aug 2011
    I've been on the phone and email with them over the past 7 weeks. They have frame now and are looking at it. I also experienced failure of the hub. The ring with teeth inside the hub spun/ It should interface with the pals of the freewheel but just spun when I pedaled. They sent a new wheel promptly and without hassle.

unrooted
    7 weeks without a bike would SUCK.

Is it just taken for granted that bikes are going to break nowadays? You would think a frame as heavy as Transition's they would be a lot stronger.

EveryDay
    Aug 2011
    The covert is the best handling and stiffest frame I've had in 25 years of MTB. The pivots are super easy to service with available parts. My frame failure is the first reported and that's why it's taking awhile. Everybody is surprised and trying to figure out why it happened. Transition bikes are superior. Go for it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Here's my Covert V1.5 cracked
    Covert V1.5 - Chainstay broke at weld-130579017.jpg
    And repaired
    Covert V1.5 - Chainstay broke at weld-130579022.jpg
    It cracked again at the lower tube near shock mounts in about a month after being repaired. Bike was ridden for 2 years with only 3 trips to mountains.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Covert V1.5 - Chainstay broke at weld

I don't understand, where was the repair? dont worry about me!!! i looked again.
    Last edited by rpmjunky; 10-20-2013 at 02:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Covert V1.5 - Chainstay broke at weld-130579020.jpg

EveryDay
    Aug 2011
    Crash replacement warranty?

Did transition do the repair?

EveryDay
    Aug 2011
    Transition is sending a whole replacement frame for the pewter 2013 above. Got an email from the owner. Took awhile for them to determine to replace whole frame and not just rear end. Great warranty treatment. Transition doesn't make entry level gear. Their market is people that put bikes through hell so I'm impressed we haven't heard of more broken ones.

unrooted
    Haines, that's awesome to hear. Good to know they back up their products.

Did you have a bike to ride while it was gone?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    Call Transition and get a replacement would be better. I am assuming you can't get the C/S a proper heat treatment after weld it. Better to get a new one.

EveryDay
    Aug 2011
    Ya, bike was down for 8 weeks for shipping and all. Been riding my other bikes: TransAM 26, FSR Comp 29er, Echo Trials bike and Fat tire Bike. Regardless, its been a compromised life without the covert.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Haines Mountain Biker View Post
    Crash replacement warranty?

Did transition do the repair?
    I bought that frame new, but second hand, so no warranty for me.
    I live in Russia, it's too far from Transition factory Frame was repaired by local guy.
    I ride '13 Covert now, hope it lives longer.