mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Covert Sizing 5'7" ?

Hi there,

Have an opportunity to buy a second hand Covert frame at a good price. Price is fine and I know the frame has seen little use, - so its quite attractive...

Problem is I seem to be smack in between Small and Medium.

I'm 5'7", 30inch inseam approx - I already have a Bandit and its absolutely perfect for me, - it couldn't be better.

Covert seems to be very different in terms of sizing though. I'd plan to ride with short (50mm) stem and reasonably wide bars, c 745mm. I'd be looking to do a few enduro races etc.

Anyone out there at 5'7" or there abouts on a Medium?
    Any thoughts?

Cheers...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm a little taller (5' 8.5") and also have a 30" inseam, and I will say that the M Covert has quite a bit taller standover than the M Bandit. Not a fitment problem, but something I didn't like about it personally.

If you're on a medium Bandit and like it, you'll fit a medium Covert I'm sure. The reach is only 8mm longer and the stack is nearly the same. So you'd probably want to run a ~20-30mm shorter stem than you do on your Bandit to get the right fit based on the different type of riding and wider bars.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I've only test rode the medium, but felt much more comfortable on the small.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'7 with a 30' inseam, and I ride a small with a 40mm stem. Pretty good fit and it's a hell of a lot of fun!

jtd
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrocket View Post
    I'm 5'7 with a 30' inseam, and I ride a small with a 40mm stem. Pretty good fit and it's a hell of a lot of fun!
    I am 5'-9" (30" inseam) and fit perfectly on a medium Covert (w/ 50mm stem) and would ride a large Bandit (50mm stem). IMO the medium Bandit feels tiny in comparison to the medium Covert. I would hands down put you on a small Covert.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I think it depends how you are using it. I'm 5'7" and sold my small covert because it was too small. My trails are pedally with lots of rocks and jumps. I would go medium with short stem for sure.