mtbr member

Covert rear shock

Hi guys, happy with my covert and still getting used to it I guess- its not been ridden over winter as where we ride is VERY gritty and just grinds everything away. So now the better!? weather is here in the UK I'm wondering if its worth upgrading the rear shock?
    I'm a heavy guy (getting lighter! ) And wonder if the RP23 just cannot control the weight properly? Seems very bouncy even with the rebound set to max.
    I have the miedium spacer from Fox fitted to it in an effort to stop it blowing through the travel so much. Is it worth getting it Pushed? Circa 150 over here, or get a different shock? The Crank Bros one looks promising, but is it really that good before I drop a load of cash on it or am I better with a coil setup?
    Just trail riding really with 2ft (or so) drops and plenty of rough stuff too old to get 'rad' or 'gnar' nowadays!

never summer
    I've never got my RP23 completely sorted. I weight 210 ready to ride. Its either too stiff or too bouncy...logged a lot of tuning notes and still leaves something to be desired. From my research people have swapped to a coil shock (elka, double barrel) and been happy. People have said its better with the normal size can instead of the HV can.

Good luck...maybe someone who has tried something else can comment. I'm going to have my RP23 Push'd in May to see how that works out.
    Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Although I've never had an air shock on there to compare, my Covert seems pretty well sorted for my 200 lbs running a Fox DHX 5.0 w/ a 650# spring. Yeah, I'd like to save the extra pound it cost me over an air shock, but I think the money could be better spent elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Hmm, food for thought!

mtbr member
    did a ccdb coil on my covert and it transformed the bike. grip with super composed control. i would choose more grip over less weight every time. I got great feedback and advice from covert owners here and it convinced me to coil. hard to go back to air. i like the set and forget with coils as well.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, buried in the various threads is great info... Guess I just wanted to hear what you've just said. I dont mind the weight issue TBH, I can lose a lot more than the bike can gain!
    Will have a close look at the CB coil shock unit. But it'll have to wait a bit, been an expensive month so far...
    Last edited by ratty2k; 04-16-2012 at 10:26 PM.

mtbr member
    ahh yes..my uncle sam will be taking one of my vacations instead for me this season.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook