"Covert" Heckler1
    Nov 2009

Covert Rear Der. Housing Pathway

Another question whilst I'm setting up my V2 Covert:

Is there a trick to routing the rear der. housing so that it does not contact the chainrings?

I'm running it through the angled cable guide on the middle of the downtube and then through the hollow in the chainstay, and I can't seem to get it to not cantact the small ring.

I'm using Truvativ 2.2AM crankset w/GXP BB, and from what I gather from the GXP User Manual, you're not supposed to use spacers with the 73mm BB and 51mm chainline.

I also notice a small hole in the chainstay that might aid in securing the housing closer to the stay in some way.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Sounds like you've got the first part correct. The routing is intended to run from the rear shifter across to the non-drive side of the downtube and run parallel to the brake housing. It will cross back over to the drive side using the angled guide you described at the low point on the downtube, and then go behind the granny ring and into the chainstay.

Check out the machined area on the drive side of the chainstay yolk - there should be a very small hole in it intended for a small zip tie to pass through from the inside to the outside. Then you can capture the housing and wrap the zip tie over the top of the stay and back around to the starting point. It can be a little tricky with the chainrings at times, so sometimes it's better just to pull the crank off quickly. Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Agreed. I used a small zip-tie thru the hole to help hold the cable housing in place while I installed the cranks. But since I'm using HS, I removed the zip-tie once everything was installed. The HS backplate essential does the same thing of keeping the routing clean.

We're awaiting pics of this bike!

"Covert" Heckler1
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the advice, I did exactly what Scuch described and it worked like a charm. Love how clean the lines are on this bike overall and the hidden cable path through the chainstay is a nice touch.

The build is complete, but I couldn't get out today so it's waaaay to clean to take pictures. Weather permitting I'll be getting out Weds night, so I'll try to get some action photos.

Thanks again for the help.