mtbr member
    May 2011

Covert questions - shock,size, drive train?

I'm dreaming of a Covert with a coil shock. Am I able to order a new frame and pay for a shock upgrade? I'm trying to avoid removing a new rear shock and buying another.

I'm 6' tall and want to run the bike with a dropper seat post, wide bars and short (50mm) stem. I think the Transition website suggests a medium, but I've read a few reports that people this height felt cramped. I'm worried with a large that I wont be able to get the seat low enough for drops. Any input on a M vs L Covert for someone who is 6'?

Top end components are not in the budget right now. I want to run 1X10 with a chain guide. Any big suggestions on SLX vs. X7?

I'm sure I will have a lot more questions. Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

This is also a 1x10 setup, kinda what you after in the end. 6' tall just depends on your overall torso length, inseam. Long inseam you wont feel cramped on a medium, short legs, you will probably want more cockpit room.
    The Dropnzone
    Bellingham,Wa
    www.dropnzone.com
    1-888-95 Pin it

mtbr member
    I'm 5 10 on a medium and with the seat slammed it's plenty low enough for drops.
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Chad - Good call I actually saved that picture a day or two ago. That is exactly what I'm looking for with a dropper post.

Steve - If you were 2" taller would you still pick the medium? I have a longer inseam for my height so I'm leaning toward the M.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I'm 6' with a 34" inseam and I demoed a large for about a week, fit very good. Couldnt imagine it being any smaller and being comfortable. I also ride a large El Guapo for trail duty and a large Delirium for FR.

mtbr member
    jds some people who are 6" ride the medium, but I think it's personal preference and will come down to the whole issue as to whether you want the bike to feel 'chuckable' or not.

For me the medium is perfect so I wouldn't like to say!
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

I gotta pee
    I would go with a large. The extra cockpit room comes in handy when tackling rough terrain or you are moving around for jumps and drops

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sorry to Hijack the thread. But because of my paltry post contributions, I cant start a thread yet!

Anyway, my question petains to the drive train for my covert.
    Currently, I'm running a double chain ring SRAM S7 set up. Basically the build kit that is currently offered by transition.
    Crank set = Truvativ S1400 GXP 175 38/24
    FD = SRAM X7 HIGH CLAMP 2x10 38/36t
    Chain = KMC X10.93
    Casette = SRAM PG-1050 10SPD 11-36

I'm thinking of changing the shifters, FD and RD to Shimano XTs. Prefer the feel of them. However, there are so many different variants of XT parts that I am confused.

I've shortlisted the ones which I think I am right and am hopeful for anyone that can point me in the right direction!

FD = Shimano M786 XT 10-speed Double Front Derailleur, Conventional Swing
    RD = Shimano M780 XT Shadow 10-speed Rear Derailleur, Top Normal
    Shifters = Shimano M780 XT 10-speed Rapidfire Shifter Pods, Pair

Am I right to think that these parts will work alongside my current set up and my SRAM casette? That the FD will work with my current 38/24 chain rings? Also, would I need to change my chain?