Thread: Covert issue...

mtbr member

Covert issue...

Gutted, have had my Covert for a while now and at first I didn't quite get it. But having ridden the bike and got used to it I've been loving it!
    Ripped the rear mech off last week after a big rock bounced up and smacked it one:

Mech assisted braking! by KJs Shots, on Flickr

Sorted, new mech hanger and mech and bike is good to go.
    Rode it today and noticed the back end was a bit loose. On closer inspection the drive side main pivot has developed a serious amount of play. Dropped it off at the bike shop I bought it off and they are gonna phone Transition up for me and see what the score is once they strip it down and find the problem. I just hope its not the frame thats got any damage! Anyone else experienced this problem before?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    For some reason I kept blowing up hangers on mine, I lengthen my chain and I have not had any problems. Knock on wood, btw the chain was the correct length I just added a couple of links and I am hoping this does not happen again. Doubt is the same problem though and it took me a bit to get used to mine also. But now I think it is the best bike I have ever had.
    Your big wheels are so awesome!

mtbr member
    I have done the same thing but was lucky enough to shred seven spokes too! Mine was caused by the Low adjuster screw plastic threads (SRAM XO) rattling out allowing the derailleur to bang into the spokes when landing a jump. Wheel trashed, hanger, trashed just like yours and of course the der. was done...but no frame issues

mtbr member
    Last I spoke to the bike shop they said the bearings had collapsed and were waiting on some bearings being delivered before being able to fully confirm that is the only problem. Did I get a Friday bike? Seems very quick for this kind of thing, my Reign (that I sold to get the Covert) a 2009 model never needed new bearings in its life with me.

Just roll it......
    I'd blow up the seatstay bearings on my old Reign 2x per year....minimum.

mtbr member
    Can pick the bike up, new bearings and its sorted.Still think its a short lifespan, but hopefully the new bearings are better quality this time.

Just roll it......
    FYI, when I install new bearings, I always pull one of the covers and add more grease. Even on the enduro's it seems that they aren't always full of grease.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    You should grab a stronger hanger from North Shore Billet while you are waiting too. Those stock ones are pretty fragile.

mtbr member
    I have indeed grabbed a better hanger, I'm well off in that department now! Got two spares for on the trail repairs... Mind you, if I scrap the mech like the X0 in the pic a spare hanger aint much use!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    What got toasted on that mech anyways? I've have mech's snap off like that and they have worked fine after haha.

mtbr member
    Its an old one anyway, there is a bend in the main parallelogram part that I sorted ages ago by filing the main pivot head down a touch. (done twice) And this time it'd been bent in the same place plus the orange backing plate for the sprockets was bent as well. So I decided its just to fragile for what I want and put an oldish X9 on instead and this was retired to the bin