mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Covert - FOX 34 or 36?

Hi Folks,

I've just bought a 2013 Covert , Alu, build kit 2. Easy to say I'm fairly excited! One question though, I had originally wanted a fox float CTD 36. I've just found out that Transition are out of stock till May.

So my options are go for 34 CTD float which is available - Wait till May or pay an extra $200 (ish) to get a float 36 ordered in.

I have ridden a 36 Talas for the last 5 years and really can't fault it. Does anybody have any time on the 34's with the Covert? I ride the North Shore and am pretty hard on parts!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Why does'nt your shop just grab you an aftermarket Float 36 or Talas? They are available now.
    The Dropnzone
    Bellingham,Wa
    www.dropnzone.com
    1-888-95 Pin it

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_Money View Post
    Why does'nt your shop just grab you an aftermarket Float 36 or Talas? They are available now.
    Good question Chad - I'll ask them, thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Why not run a 34? Fox is moving away from the 36 platform, and the 34 platform is the latest and greatest they have to offer. Designed and tested to be ridden hard and that includes use on more or less DH trails in the European enduro races. That stuff is very similar to the rocky shore stuff, but a bit faster.

I have not met anyone yet that felt a 34 was "flexy" and you save considerable weight. The current model year 36 forks are also the more DH oriented RC2 damper, compared to the very user friendly and on the fly adjustable CTD damper.

It will always come down to the weakest link for strength and stiffness. A pair of stiff, round 34mm or 36mm fork tubes, join into a single crown/steerer that sees a lot of torsional stress. The 34 series forks use the same crown/steerer as the 36 series. A 2mm reduction in stanchion size shouldn't have a huge effect on the stiffness of the fork. The 32 forks use a much slimmer, lower profile crown and I think that contributes a LOT to the flexy feel of those forks (by comparison).

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That's one of the best reviews of the 34's I've read - Thanks for the feedback

Completely agree that it's down to weakest link and was not aware that the same crown/steer were used as the 36 series. It would definitely make me feel more confident going with the 34's. The only weak point I could possibly see is the 15mm thru axel against the 20mm. It would certainly not be as stiff but may not count as much as the steer and crown - Would you agree?

I had not even considered the 34's as an option but was certainly intrigued on how they performed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    You know, I just got the Covert 26 2013 and it came with the float 34 160 and I wanted the 36 also but once i felt the difference from the 36 and 34 the weight was big but rigidity was still there. I think that it is underrated but the fork is designed fabulously and i can't complain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hi Hazbo
    leave the Fox aside
    go whith the pike 160
    It is in anther level
    Last edited by yarondot; 02-23-2014 at 02:05 AM.