mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Bought a Covert, loving it..

Im pretty convinced on buying a Covert. Im going to the lbs to check out a Carbon model that I cant afford but at least I will be able to ride it around a bit and get a feel for it.. currently riding a 2010 Trek EX8 that I love buy I would like something with more slack geo and 160mm travel.

edited original post.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Dirk77; 05-18-2013 at 01:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    well I think Im just gonna buy a new one. I Called a local dealer today and got quoted, $3199 for a Covert 3 with Fox rear shock upgrade and with the RS lyrik R solo air fork.. $3480 for Both Fox rear and Fox 34 float CTR front shock..

Is the Fox 34 float worth another 280 bucks? Im guessing that the Lyrik solo air doesnt lock out for climbing?

mtbr member

which Covert to buy? whats the average weight of the 2012/2013 Coverts?

I wouldn't be afraid of the rockshox stuff. Yeah it's cheaper, but I've been happy with everything I've had from them. A lot of people aren't stoked on the 2013 fox CTD stuff. I have it on my bandit and like it fine, but don't love it. I probably liked the adjustments on my RS revelation I had last year more.

As for weight, transitions have yet to ever be the lightest bikes. It's just part of their "make it more fun on the downhill" bias. I'm personally okay with that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks BB. Yesterday, I committed to it and ordered the 2013 Covert 3 with both Fox shock upgrades. I'm sure I would have loved the RS lyrik as well but I couldn't tell if it has a lock out on it or not for climbing, even the website is pretty vague on the different models they offer. So I went with, what I thought would be a sure bet on the Fox fork.. I'm sure I will love it too, as I'm not super picky..

Ya I should have searched more on the weight of the Coverts.. Stock bikes aren't the lightest but I came to the conclusion that I really don't care that much about a few extra lbs.. I'm not a racer, don't plan on racing.. I bike strictly for the fun of it and the exercise is a bonus..

The one thing, while pouring through tons of reviews and opinions on different bikes that kept me coming back to the Covert, is that everyone seem to say that the bike is just really fun to ride.. And that is the main thing for me..

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    You won't be disappointed. The Fox upgrade was a good move and will be worth it. I have a 2011 with the Fox 36 and it's a great rig. It's not the lightest but it climbs well. Mine doesn't feel any slower than my outgoing 10 year old 4" travel FS that had full fox suspension. The extra 10mm of travel on the new models is a good thing. You'd be hard pressed to feel the 12mm axle or notice the direct mount front derailleur but they're nice upgrades. I believe the new model also has a more solid rear derailleur hanger. Anyways, enjoy the new bike!

mtbr member

which Covert to buy? whats the average weight of the 2012/2013 Coverts?

Yeah, you definitely won't regret the fox stuff. If it's in the budget, why not?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Not sure if RS stands behind their stuff like Fox does. Last time I sent my rear shock into Fox for a rebuild, they sent back a note saying they couldn't rebuild the old one because it was outdated and in the box was a brand new shock with remote lockout for the same cost as rebuilding the old one. I already liked Fox but I'm a life customer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    well, I went to the lbs this morning to check in on the order and Transition was having trouble getting the Fox 34 to fill the order.. So The lbs sold me on the Rock Shox Lyrik RC or RCL 160mm in white, now I cant remember which one it was but none the less.. for the same total price as the fox 34 was going to be.. So it must have been the RCL, cause it seems that one is $1060 or so and he said it was a few bucks more than the fox34..?? to many acronyms being thrown around to remember..

I was able to check it out because he just got one in and it seems pretty badass.. 20mm axle, which he said he will change the front wheel hub for me for free.. 35mm tubes with the bulge.. Compression and rebound adj and 25% suspension drop for climbing.. I think I might actually be glad they cant get the fox shock.. ??

What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Even better, It's the lyrik RC2L 160mm.. Can't wait to try this one out,i think I'm gonna like it alot more than the fox. I want more ofa set it and forget it fork.. Especially with the 30mm suspension drop for climbing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Sounds like it'll be good. Let us know what you think after a few rides.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Id take a lyric over a fox 34 any day. Not to mention the slightly taller a-c will make the bike just a tad slacker...nice
    and good call on going for the newr model covert.
    Last edited by dwyooaj; 05-06-2013 at 10:49 PM.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    Id take a lyric over a fox 34 any day. Not to mention the slightly taller a-c will make the bike just a tad slacker...nice
    and good call on going for the newr model covert.
    thanks. Im stoked on the Lyrik.. The RC2L sounds like a great Fork and Im really glad it will raise the HTA a tad as well..

Now, I wish I knew when I am going to receive this bike.. Hopefully it is at least on its way.. Haha..

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    got the Covert on Friday and it was an interesting day.. After the lbs got the build done, i paid the balance, loaded it up and drove to some local trails.

About 20ft from the truck the chain breaks.. FSA Team issue 10..?? total fluke?? the start of the trail was uphill but I didnt midshift/crank on it.. I was already in gear, so that was weird.. So I debated fixing it but said nah, I loaded it back up and went back to the lbs and he put a sram 1051 on it and said I shouldnt have much trouble with that one..

Got back to the trails and started really loving the bike and the way it was climbing felt great.. the lever on the rear shock is easy to access and I was surprised at the feel of the bike while climbing. It felt great, no bobbing or extremely minimal that I suppose I couldnt really feel it.. Got to the top, its about a 1.3 mile climb and fairly steep in parts, and I was winded for sure. It is deffinetly heavier than the trek I came from..

lowered the seat and started ripping downhill and had a flippen blast.. the first few small hits and catching some small air I knew this bike was going to be fun to jump on. it just seemed really easy to stay straight and guide it through the air. The bike felt stiffer and more solid in every way over the trek. Frame, forks, wheels, drivetrain, shifters. The only thing I could see maybe needing an upgrade might be the brakes(elixer 3's).. Ill see after some more rides. Maybe the pads just need some breaking in?? But I had a blast.

I really like the Lyrik so far but it was a little stiff on the first ride but I gotta admit I was a little confused at first on all the settings and then I was VERY frustrated because I couldn't find any instructions or recommended settings until last night..

Sram needs to list all the info on the product page instead of making you search on other shocks and dampers that they use to figure it out.. the only manuals they list on the products own page is the service manuals. They dont even include a guide or instructions with the forks in the box.. They did include a seal kit though and thats great.

So finally just last night figured out what the RC2L even means..
    Rebound/Compression/2-stage travel (160-130) and Lockout..

Didn't know it had basically a lockout feature when I bought it.. but after lots of searching figured out the floodgate feature, and finally found the mission control pdf download with the recommended settings and what the whole mission control explanations.. That PDF helped a LOT and I like it.. Lots of adjust ability and now all the settings functions make perfect sense..

Now I can get out and make adjustments and at least know what they should be doing.

Cant fricken wait to get out and ride again. This bike is a beast.. Oh yeah, Rock Shox Reverb 125mm, showing up tomorrow from ups.. that will be great, adding weight but well worth it. It might cost some bucks to shed weight from this beast..??

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Wait until that Lyrik breaks in. It should get a little smoother.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I rode 10 miles on the trails last night and it felt, GREAT! I am so glad I found the mission control settings guide because it really helped me understand the fork. I was riding till pretty late and got caught in the dark. I could barely see on the final singletrak down. I just kept going fast and the shocks were soaking up the bigger rocks like nothing. It was awesome..

Just got my reverb mounted.. Its time to RIDE!!

mtbr member
    Care to share that Mission Control pdf link?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Service Resources - RockShox | SRAM

http://www.sram.com/sites/default/fi...ngguide_en.pdf

Mightbe outdated but seemed to work.. Seems like there was a more extensive one somewhere but I'm on my phone and can't find it.. And I'm about ready to throw my phone out in the street because this forum works horrible on it..
    Last edited by Dirk77; 05-15-2013 at 09:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    No prob. Im still messing with pressures and setting on the fork. Im 180lbs-188lbs loaded for riding and the pressure chart says to put 105-125lbs of pressure.. I can only get about 15% sag with that much. so I dropped it slowly and im at about 75-80 lbs and getting 25% or so sag.. Its kind of hard to messure sag on it as well, its like you have to jump on it for a sec and let it settle then move the ring down.

I washed out the front wheel the other day, cornering and tweeked the handlebars a little bit. When I got up and went to straighten out the stem, the bottom bolt had totally stripped out. the aluminum was prettty shredded in the threads..??

I wanted to go a hair shorter anyways so I put on the Deity Cavity stem last night.. Havent got to try it out yet though.
    Last edited by Dirk77; 05-20-2013 at 08:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: which Covert to buy? whats the average weight of the 2012/2013 Coverts?

Put on 14 miles on the trails Sunday morning. Loving the new stem. I was doing jumps, drops and descending more comfortably. Didn't notice much difference on the climbing and i did 2700 ft in total elevation changes.. But definitely noticed much more comfortable descending, so it was worth the price.

Love this bike!

Unfortunately, now I'm dealing with maybe a compressed ulnar nerve and a little Carpel tunnel issues..

My right hand is tweaked out, weak and fine motor controls are hard.. Simple things like buttoning my pants or starting the car are effort..

It's always gotta be something..

Went to chiro today and that really helped, I'm gonna quit biking for this week and see, maybe go to dr. If it doesn't really improve in the next few days.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2