Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 372

Thread: covert 29er

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: enduroXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    55

    covert 29er

    Hey Transitionairs

    Does any of you know if theres going to be a covert two 9? by looking at the current lineup only a 29er covert is missing.

    BTW

    I allways tell my covert riding buddy of mine.. that the only bike to replace my nomad are the 29er covert... Maybe they will


    Happy trail rockin'
    read online books -Publish and read books online for free with publisheep.com

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    703
    C'MON MAN! There is no need for a Covert 29er. IF you want to talk carbon I will listen.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: enduroXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    55

    Ok ill Bite

    Quote Originally Posted by gunt pimp View Post
    C'MON MAN! There is no need for a Covert 29er. IF you want to talk carbon I will listen.
    hahaha... well man, covert 29er carbon will work also.... Thers is a need...

    as a 26er fan i can see on the trails how the 29er world is taking over...in 2012 the 29er world is fine tuned into great enduro machines. and after that comes the carbon world for aggressive use... another contravetial issue.

    The bandit 29er i took for a test ride felt awsome! nothing like the sh*tty feel of regular 29ers. same was the trans AM 29er... I belive a covert 29er would be the ultimate modern bike. anyways,,, the guys at transition has got it spot on every time!
    read online books -Publish and read books online for free with publisheep.com

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: andy_n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    118
    No way, isn't the main goal a 650b carbon covert?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_n View Post
    No way, isn't the main goal a 650b carbon covert?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: enduroXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_n View Post
    No way, isn't the main goal a 650b carbon covert?
    never heared of it till now... i googled it and it does sound interesting !

    besides the fact you will have poor selection of tires,forks (?) and rims...
    read online books -Publish and read books online for free with publisheep.com

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: andy_n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    118

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by enduroXtreme View Post
    never heared of it till now... i googled it and it does sound interesting !

    besides the fact you will have poor selection of tires,forks (?) and rims...
    Rockshox Revelations, Nobby Nic, American classic or Enve rims.

    Poor choices,

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_n View Post
    Rockshox Revelations, Nobby Nic, American classic or Enve rims.

    Poor choices,
    Seems were are hitting the 2013 cycle and maybe tires are a little behind but that is it. No Specialized, Maxxis, or Continental 650b AM tires yet.

    But add Fox forks and "Stans flows laced to your favorite hub of choice" to that list as well.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: enduroXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    55
    By poor i was aiming at the lack of choices. The options you pointed may be good quality but will not appeal to everyone.

    well i guess time will tell us if 27.5 or 29 are the way to go...

    Thank you
    read online books -Publish and read books online for free with publisheep.com

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,764
    I don't think you'll ever see a Covert 29er. Far too many compromises in geo to get that kinda of travel.

    What is it going to do that you can't do on a Bandit 29er?

    Put a Bandit 26 the Covert and some 650b wheels in a blender and then you'll have a wicked trail bike. Oh and make it carbon.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    73
    So what???

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,764
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    I don't think you'll ever see a Covert 29er. Far too many compromises in geo to get that kinda of travel.
    I might have to eat my words.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: YannFr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    15
    Hello all, I could see a Covert29er in the french catalog at my dealer ! But I thinks 29er for the Covert it's too much. 650b could be better !

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    14
    I got a price list for the 2013 models here in Norway today. There is an (alu) Covert 29'er with the same price as the 26.

  15. #15
    rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,353
    The Covert Two9 frame is priced at $1699 in the US with the RP23 CTD shock. With the RC4 coil shock it is $1899. It has 140mm of rear squish.

    The frame has a 68 degree HTA with a Fox 34 fork set at 140mm. If bought with a frame, a F34 with CTD, FIT and Kashima set at 150mm travel is available for $900 from Transition. The 150mm F34 will slack out the HTA about a third of a degree.

    Disclaimer: I have no financial ties to TBC...
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ttrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico View Post
    The Covert Two9 frame is priced at $1699 in the US with the RP23 CTD shock. With the RC4 coil shock it is $1899. It has 140mm of rear squish.

    The frame has a 68 degree HTA with a Fox 34 fork set at 140mm. If bought with a frame, a F34 with CTD, FIT and Kashima set at 150mm travel is available for $900 from Transition. The 150mm F34 will slack out the HTA about a third of a degree.

    Disclaimer: I have no financial ties to TBC...
    Did you try the bandit 29er at all first? I am about to jump onto the 29er bandwagon but really have not liked the downhill capabilities of Kona Satori (coming off 4 straight enduros that I crave their downhill rides)... Any input is appreciated.

  17. #17
    rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,353
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrd View Post
    Did you try the bandit 29er at all first? I am about to jump onto the 29er bandwagon but really have not liked the downhill capabilities of Kona Satori (coming off 4 straight enduros that I crave their downhill rides)... Any input is appreciated.
    Try one? I have an XL Bandit Two9. Bought it on the preorder, so I guess I have had it longer than most. Downhill or up, cross-hill or on the level, it is an amazing ride.

    The guys at TBC really have a way of building a fun ride. As much as I love my Btwo9
    there is a strong possibility that I would like a Covert Two9 even better, so I am thinking of selling my Bandit frame and pre-ordering a Ctwo9.
    Last edited by 29erchico; 09-28-2012 at 08:51 PM.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

  18. #18
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,401
    Is there any info yet on sizing and are they gonna do an XL??

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    870
    M,L and XL , also available with the RC4 rear shock.
    The Dropnzone
    Bellingham,Wa
    www.dropnzone.com
    1-888-95 Pin it

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    27
    Man... Why did they discontinue the Bandit29er? That is the perfect bike for what I am after! New bandit a little to less travel and covert is a little to AM style for what I am looking for. I am in the midwest.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    732
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmountainskiercfg View Post
    Man... Why did they discontinue the Bandit29er? That is the perfect bike for what I am after! New bandit a little to less travel and covert is a little to AM style for what I am looking for. I am in the midwest.
    worry not, there should still be some 2012's kicking around at dealers and there are also a handful available on pinkbike if that's an option for you. the bike hauls ass!
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

  22. #22
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,401
    From the 2013 Bandit thread, in case anyone didn't see it, some numbers for the Covert-

    2013 Transition Bikes Bandit and Covert 29er | 29er Online

    The XL is looking kinda cramped in the cockpit, def interested but not sure about fit, like everything else tho.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider View Post
    worry not, there should still be some 2012's kicking around at dealers and there are also a handful available on pinkbike if that's an option for you. the bike hauls ass!
    Yeah... I've seen a few and called them. They are gone though.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider View Post
    worry not, there should still be some 2012's kicking around at dealers and there are also a handful available on pinkbike if that's an option for you. the bike hauls ass!
    Yeah... I've seen a few and called them. They are gone though.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,883
    Looking for a complete bike? Belmont Wheelworks (MA) had a Large/Black on their sales floor this weekend. I'm not sure if they had other sizes or bikes. No frames however.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    Looking for a complete bike? Belmont Wheelworks (MA) had a Large/Black on their sales floor this weekend. I'm not sure if they had other sizes or bikes. No frames however.
    Dang... I need an XL as I am 6'4". I wonder if a Large would work. Thanks for the advice. I'll call them tomorrow and have a chat. Really appreciate it. Think they would trade for a 2013 bandit 29er that I just pre ordered in an XL ha ha

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joel RW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmountainskiercfg View Post
    Dang... I need an XL as I am 6'4". I wonder if a Large would work. Thanks for the advice. I'll call them tomorrow and have a chat. Really appreciate it. Think they would trade for a 2013 bandit 29er that I just pre ordered in an XL ha ha
    Hey, I'm just a tad shorter than you and have an XL bandit, I have modified the sizing so much with stem and bar combos that I should of just bought a large.

    My next bike will be a large.
    Pivot mach 6!

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmountainskiercfg View Post
    Yeah... I've seen a few and called them. They are gone though.
    And we have medium 2012 in stock in our warehouse, so as long as you need that size, any dealer can special order.

    Sorry on the L and XL... no dice there.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by gunt pimp View Post
    C'MON MAN! There is no need for a Covert 29er. IF you want to talk carbon I will listen.
    Hahaha! This isn't the 1st time I have been wrong.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    From the 2013 Bandit thread, in case anyone didn't see it, some numbers for the Covert-

    2013 Transition Bikes Bandit and Covert 29er | 29er Online

    The XL is looking kinda cramped in the cockpit, def interested but not sure about fit, like everything else tho.
    I noticed that two however if I am reading this right it is only .3 " shorter than the Bandit in EFT. I like to run 50 - 60 mm stems so I'm worried about being cramped as well.

  31. #31
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,401
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    I noticed that two however if I am reading this right it is only .3 " shorter than the Bandit in EFT. I like to run 50 - 60 mm stems so I'm worried about being cramped as well.
    I emailed Transition to confirm sizing and ask a few questions, I think with the actual angle of the seattube it will make things roomy enough with the saddle at full height. That said wish they would of made it a tad longer, but I'm gonna try the 90mm stem I currently run and go from 28" to 30" bars.

    Yeah the bike is exactly what I want and I have demo'd a few w/24.5 ett that fit so didn't want .3" to stop me, hopefully I'm right!

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    I emailed Transition to confirm sizing and ask a few questions, I think with the actual angle of the seattube it will make things roomy enough with the saddle at full height. That said wish they would of made it a tad longer, but I'm gonna try the 90mm stem I currently run and go from 28" to 30" bars.

    Yeah the bike is exactly what I want and I have demo'd a few w/24.5 ett that fit so didn't want .3" to stop me, hopefully I'm right!
    Cool thanks. Please share their response if you can.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    I emailed Transition to confirm sizing and ask a few questions, I think with the actual angle of the seattube it will make things roomy enough with the saddle at full height. That said wish they would of made it a tad longer, but I'm gonna try the 90mm stem I currently run and go from 28" to 30" bars.

    Yeah the bike is exactly what I want and I have demo'd a few w/24.5 ett that fit so didn't want .3" to stop me, hopefully I'm right!
    Yes - those TT lengths are the "measurable" distance from the center of the headtube horizontal to the center of the seatpost. With any bike that has an offset seat tube, the TT length is going to look shorter. Look at the reach on the Covert 29 in that link and compare to the reach on the Bandit 29 (2012) listed on our website... that would be the real length difference between the two bikes.

    Saddle position can be adjusted +/- 1/2" very easily, so don't sweat 0.3" in TT length without considering all the other geo numbers.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Yes - those TT lengths are the "measurable" distance from the center of the headtube horizontal to the center of the seatpost. With any bike that has an offset seat tube, the TT length is going to look shorter. Look at the reach on the Covert 29 in that link and compare to the reach on the Bandit 29 (2012) listed on our website... that would be the real length difference between the two bikes.

    Saddle position can be adjusted +/- 1/2" very easily, so don't sweat 0.3" in TT length without considering all the other geo numbers.
    Thanks. That makes more sense now. Have their been any ride reviews yet of this bike. I know the Bandit 29 was great last year, but I haven't seen anything on the Covert 29 yet.

  35. #35
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    . Look at the reach on the Covert 29 in that link and compare to the reach on the Bandit 29 (2012) listed on our website... that would be the real length difference between the two bikes.
    It's within a few mm's, and the seattube angle is a tad slacker on the Covert too, so it sounds like the 2012 Bandit 29 in XL will fit the same as the Covert 29 XL correct? If so, then I could try to track down an XL bandit just to throw a leg over to check for fit, that would help at least.

  36. #36
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,401
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    Thanks. That makes more sense now. Have their been any ride reviews yet of this bike. I know the Bandit 29 was great last year, but I haven't seen anything on the Covert 29 yet.
    These are new for 2013 so they haven't been made yet, as far as I know

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    It's within a few mm's, and the seattube angle is a tad slacker on the Covert too, so it sounds like the 2012 Bandit 29 in XL will fit the same as the Covert 29 XL correct? If so, then I could try to track down an XL bandit just to throw a leg over to check for fit, that would help at least.
    Yes - we matched up the frame reach very closely between those two bikes (and lengthened the Bandit 29 a bit for 2013).

    So if you threw a leg over an XL Bandit 29 from 2012 it would be a very close comparison for the rider cockpit with a 2013 Covert 29.


    Cheers!

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel RW View Post
    Hey, I'm just a tad shorter than you and have an XL bandit, I have modified the sizing so much with stem and bar combos that I should of just bought a large.

    My next bike will be a large.
    wanna sell your XL ha ha

  39. #39
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,087
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    These are new for 2013 so they haven't been made yet, as far as I know
    Yo rroeder - I've got a local big guy on an XL. I bet we could arrange a ride on it for you. He was on a large Tracer 29 prior and is loving his XL Bandit 29.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

  40. #40
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,401
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    Yo rroeder - I've got a local big guy on an XL. I bet we could arrange a ride on it for you. He was on a large Tracer 29 prior and is loving his XL Bandit 29.
    Thx Dave, will get with you on that

  41. #41
    Deere Rider
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    906
    Cue Jeopardy theme song... When is the Covert 29 going to show up? I called Drop N Zone last month and I thought they said soon...can't remember. I was hoping for some quick reviews so I can make a purchase decision. This is killing me... If anybody has been on the bike or has one in hand, please, help me out! Pics, ride report, anything. I've read through the Bandit 29 stuff a million times and if this bike is going to ride similar to the 2012 B29 with a bit more travel... I need to just turn the computer off for a month.

  42. #42
    Deere Rider
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    906
    Oops...called the sponsoring bike shop and found out the Covert 29s should be showing up anytime. Soooooo...with the preorder discount they were offering, I pulled the trigger. #2 build kit XL in white with a Reverb and Haven wheelset upgrade. Oh man, I need to start selling unnecessary stuff fast.

    I was originally looking at just a frame, fork, and wheels with my carryover parts. Then I did the math and by the time I bought all the stuff you don't think about (tires, f. der., head set, cables, etc...) I was within a couple hundred dollars of the complete build with that preorder discount! Talk about a no brainer.

    For anyone interested, I am 6'3" and have been eyeing the Bandit 29 and recently the Covert 29 in XL for a year now. I have some concerns about the compact top tube and reach, but enough research has given me the confidence to jump in.

    I will be in touch when the bike shows up and I get some saddle time.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    I'm looking at the Covert 29 and Bandit 29. What swayed you the direction of the Covert?

    More DH?

  44. #44
    Deere Rider
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    I'm looking at the Covert 29 and Bandit 29. What swayed you the direction of the Covert?

    More DH?
    Nah...I just like long travel in my trail bikes. I'm coming from a 26" Yeti ASR 7 with 7" rear travel as my trail bike. I realize that the 29" wheel eats up rough terrain much easier than a 26" (also have a Giant Anthem X29) but when you are landing drops and hitting the really rough stuff, there's no substitute for wheel travel. 4" is 4" no matter the wheel size...it's still going to be a stiff landing on that 4' drop to flat. I like to be lazy and sit in my seat as long as possible while the bike plows through a boulder field.

    I ride rough terrain regularly but the real goal with this bike is a Porcupine Rim killer! I go with a group every year to Fruita and Moab and suspension travel is well appreciated.

    I had set 140mm front and rear as my minimum for a 29er trail bike for the above reasons. I really liked what I heard about last year's Bandit 29 but I wanted that last bit of travel. Cue the new Covert 29. Thanks, Transition!

    I can't wait for Moab in March...

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Thanks for the detail TQ. I would be in the same boat as you. I want to be able to ride this one in all situations and then go to the bike park so my DH buddies can make fun of me for being on wagon wheels riding lifts. haha!

  46. #46
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,938
    When someone gets one of these let me know how the fit of the cockpit is. The 23.2 ETT of the large is scaring me off of what I think could be the perfect all around trail bike.

  47. #47
    Deere Rider
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    When someone gets one of these let me know how the fit of the cockpit is. The 23.2 ETT of the large is scaring me off of what I think could be the perfect all around trail bike.
    Will do. Sounds like it will be about a month from now before I might have an analysis. I have always been on long top tubes but have been changing some things up with how I position myself on the bike and I'm seeing some good results. This is leading me to realize I need to shorten my reach on the bike to optimize power delivery and bike control.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    602
    That is the measurable horizontal distance from HT to seatpost, the bike will ride a bit longer than that, since the seat tube is offset forward and angled back.

    An "effective top tube length" would depend on what seat tube angle you chose to measure to and the higher the seat the slacker the effective seat tube angle would be.

  49. #49
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,401
    Any updates or spy photos of frames in production Transition??
    Last edited by rr; 12-13-2012 at 08:11 AM.

  50. #50
    rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,353
    My XL Covert 29 frame in Amber Ale is on it's way to me at the moment.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •