Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

covert 29er

78K views 371 replies 64 participants last post by  weezerfan84 
#1 ·
Hey Transitionairs :)

Does any of you know if theres going to be a covert two 9? by looking at the current lineup only a 29er covert is missing.

BTW

I allways tell my covert riding buddy of mine.. that the only bike to replace my nomad are the 29er covert... Maybe they will ;)

Happy trail rockin' :rockon:

#3 ·
Ok ill Bite

hahaha... well man, covert 29er carbon will work also.... Thers is a need... :smilewinkgrin:

as a 26er fan i can see on the trails how the 29er world is taking over...in 2012 the 29er world is fine tuned into great enduro machines. and after that comes the carbon world for aggressive use... another contravetial issue.

The bandit 29er i took for a test ride felt awsome! nothing like the sh*tty feel of regular 29ers. same was the trans AM 29er... I belive a covert 29er would be the ultimate modern bike. anyways,,, the guys at transition has got it spot on every time!

#10 ·
I don't think you'll ever see a Covert 29er. Far too many compromises in geo to get that kinda of travel.

What is it going to do that you can't do on a Bandit 29er?

Put a Bandit 26 the Covert and some 650b wheels in a blender and then you'll have a wicked trail bike. Oh and make it carbon.

#15 ·
The Covert Two9 frame is priced at $1699 in the US with the RP23 CTD shock. With the RC4 coil shock it is $1899. It has 140mm of rear squish.

The frame has a 68 degree HTA with a Fox 34 fork set at 140mm. If bought with a frame, a F34 with CTD, FIT and Kashima set at 150mm travel is available for $900 from Transition. The 150mm F34 will slack out the HTA about a third of a degree.

Disclaimer: I have no financial ties to TBC...

#16 ·
Did you try the bandit 29er at all first? I am about to jump onto the 29er bandwagon but really have not liked the downhill capabilities of Kona Satori (coming off 4 straight enduros that I crave their downhill rides)... Any input is appreciated.

#41 ·
Cue Jeopardy theme song... When is the Covert 29 going to show up? I called Drop N Zone last month and I thought they said soon...can't remember. I was hoping for some quick reviews so I can make a purchase decision. This is killing me... If anybody has been on the bike or has one in hand, please, help me out! Pics, ride report, anything. I've read through the Bandit 29 stuff a million times and if this bike is going to ride similar to the 2012 B29 with a bit more travel...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I need to just turn the computer off for a month.

#42 ·
Oops...called the sponsoring bike shop and found out the Covert 29s should be showing up anytime. Soooooo...with the preorder discount they were offering, I pulled the trigger. #2 build kit XL in white with a Reverb and Haven wheelset upgrade. Oh man, I need to start selling unnecessary stuff fast.

I was originally looking at just a frame, fork, and wheels with my carryover parts. Then I did the math and by the time I bought all the stuff you don't think about (tires, f. der., head set, cables, etc...) I was within a couple hundred dollars of the complete build with that preorder discount! Talk about a no brainer.

For anyone interested, I am 6'3" and have been eyeing the Bandit 29 and recently the Covert 29 in XL for a year now. I have some concerns about the compact top tube and reach, but enough research has given me the confidence to jump in.

I will be in touch when the bike shows up and I get some saddle time. :thumbsup:

#44 ·
Nah...I just like long travel in my trail bikes. I'm coming from a 26" Yeti ASR 7 with 7" rear travel as my trail bike. I realize that the 29" wheel eats up rough terrain much easier than a 26" (also have a Giant Anthem X29) but when you are landing drops and hitting the really rough stuff, there's no substitute for wheel travel. 4" is 4" no matter the wheel size...it's still going to be a stiff landing on that 4' drop to flat. I like to be lazy and sit in my seat as long as possible while the bike plows through a boulder field.

I ride rough terrain regularly but the real goal with this bike is a Porcupine Rim killer! I go with a group every year to Fruita and Moab and suspension travel is well appreciated.

I had set 140mm front and rear as my minimum for a 29er trail bike for the above reasons. I really liked what I heard about last year's Bandit 29 but I wanted that last bit of travel. Cue the new Covert 29. Thanks, Transition! :thumbsup:

I can't wait for Moab in March...

#47 ·
Will do. Sounds like it will be about a month from now before I might have an analysis. I have always been on long top tubes but have been changing some things up with how I position myself on the bike and I'm seeing some good results. This is leading me to realize I need to shorten my reach on the bike to optimize power delivery and bike control.

#48 ·
That is the measurable horizontal distance from HT to seatpost, the bike will ride a bit longer than that, since the seat tube is offset forward and angled back.

An "effective top tube length" would depend on what seat tube angle you chose to measure to and the higher the seat the slacker the effective seat tube angle would be.

#56 ·
Those who have ordered the XL, how tall are you? How's the fit?

Is the bike light enough to pedal all day?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
I am 6'3". I will chime in with ride reports and fit comments when I get the bike built. Had a bit of a setback but I hope to have it rolling by the end of the year. At 225 lb I consider low 30s to be perfectly acceptable for a trail bike that I'm going to abuse at Moab every year. And yes, I will be pedaling this thing all day on those trips!

I have modified my riding position in the last few months to a much more upright position that engages the muscles around the hip to a much greater degree than the traditional slouched back. I love the results. This position has been much more friendly to short stems and wide bars and has made me realize I no longer like the long top tubes of my past.

This is why I chose the Covert 29. I will be running a Havoc 35 at 800mm with Easton's 50mm stem. I have broad shoulders and now run a 750mm bar and 65mm stem on my XC bike with wonderful results. This is a huge departure from how I used to set up a bike...I'm pretty excited to see how things fit. Stay tuned...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.