Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 333

Thread: covert 29er

  1. #201
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2

    New Covert 29 with I9s

    Hi Folks!

    I used this thread when making my decision to pick up the Transition Covert 29 so I thought I would give something back. Reviews were very hard to find and this thread was useful. I ended up with the Transition Covert 29-1. I wasn't able to demo one before riding it but after comparing geomtries to a lot of bikes I was able to ride I ended up with the XL frame. I am coming off of a large 2010 Trek Rumblefish. I was also really comfortable on a large Yeti SB95. The effective top tube on a large Yeti is very close to the XL Covert 29. I am 6'3 with a 33" inseam and the XL is a nice fit. I may switch to a bar with a bit more rise to to get a little more upright but for now its a non-issue.

    I have had a chance to take the bike to a pretty nice bike park in Boone, NC and it absolutely shreds on downhills and jumps. It will get really low around corners and I was able to land into rock gardens with relative disregard. There is a pretty steep and at times technical pedal to the top of the park and it presented no issues climbing (which I was worried about). I had no issue with pedal bob and the "climb" setting on the CTD was probably overkill. The Yeti SB95 definitely climbs better but for my money the Transition is an all around more fun bike.

    The only aftermarket upgrade that I have added was a set of the new Industry 9 Torch hubs in the 32 spoke options. These are laced to Stans Flow EX wheels. For the record the blue annodization (sp?) on the I9 stuff is a near dead ringer for the blue bits on the Covert frame. I weighed the bike on a hook scale at the shop with the new wheels on it and it came in at 32.67 LB with the new wheels. Below you can find a link to my hurriedly take photos. Thanks for looking!

    Transition Covert 29 Photos by cnashmusselwhite | Photobucket

  2. #202
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    Looks nice, I went with blue Hope hubs and bought some blue bar end caps from Transition's store, the blue and stealth black are a good match.

    I have been pleasantly surprised at how well the bike pedals and climbs, but can't wait to do some real descending with it. We have been getting a lot of late spring snow here, looks like more this week.

  3. #203
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    64

    Pic from the weekend

    Haven't posted for a while....too busy riding...

    covert 29er-covert_log_drop.jpg

  4. #204
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    183
    Great pic. If only I could finish building mine.

  5. #205
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    183

    My first ever Boo-teak MTB build!

    It started with a Fox Talas 34 upgrade for my Giant Anthem 29er. Then I started lusting after the Pivot Mach 429 Carbon. Then I was recommended against matching said frame and fork due to concerns about structural integrity (credit goes to Pivot tech support for their honesty). Just as well, as I should have been looking for a longer travel 29er frame to begin with. Eventually I had it narrowed down to either the SC Tallboy LT Aluminum or the Turner Sultan. Then one day I wandered into the Transition forum and found this thread.......

    Now, thanks to advice from rroeder here and the guys at Transition:

  6. #206
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    Trick build, I like what you did with the front der routing.

    Got mine out Fri for a nice chunky trail ride, lovin it. Next week gonna hit a local downhill trail as things have finally dried out up higher, looking forward to some extended down. I will try and get some action or trail side pixels.

  7. #207
    Deere Rider
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    717
    That looks sick! I really like the look of the Havens. I'm going to give mine a go when the rear wheel gets back from Easton.

    I, too, like the looks of that front der cable routing. I spent quite a bit of time on mine and now I see the simple solution to the ridiculous stock routing...why didn't I think of that!

  8. #208
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    I, too, like the looks of that front der cable routing. I spent quite a bit of time on mine and now I see the simple solution to the ridiculous stock routing...why didn't I think of that!
    Yeah I might try that routing too, my der has top pull option as well. Altho my front shifting works great as is, the loop under the BB is fine but I did have an issue initially with the housing getting gunked up at the stop there and had to install a sealed housing end.

  9. #209
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,817
    We've recently started routing front der cables along the dropper cable stops on the side of the top tube. Much cleaner and better shifting!
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

  10. #210
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    183
    Holy S$%T, this thing is FAST! Broke it in this past Sunday, and even though I had never seen or test ridden one prior to ordering, I have no regrets about my decision. The much-maligned single-pivot suspension works just fine to me, and this is coming from FSR and Maestro systems. The CTD shock affects suspension performance significantly more than differences in linkage design in my experience.

    Yeah, the cable routing was clearly an afterthought when they designed this frame. But I read this whole thread before ordering, so I already had a different plan for the front derailleur even before it arrived.

    Anyway, here is a crappy phone pic from that inaugural ride.


  11. #211
    Deere Rider
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    We've recently started routing front der cables along the dropper cable stops on the side of the top tube. Much cleaner and better shifting!
    Thanks a bunch for this suggestion. I have my dropper cable running down the left side so the cable guides were open. Running the f der cable there looks factory and it greatly decreased the force required at the shift lever. This is the spot to run your cable if you can. Thanks again!

  12. #212
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zonoskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    909
    @Adrien: What did the weight end up to be?

    Did any of the Covert owners contemplate getting the new Specialized Enduro 29er? I'm still torn between the 2 bikes. I find the sizing of the Covert a bit strange, the reach of the L frame is 11mm shorter than that of the size M Enduro 29er. So by that measurement I should go with the XL, but I'm only 6' (182cm).

  13. #213
    Deere Rider
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar View Post
    @Adrien: What did the weight end up to be?

    Did any of the Covert owners contemplate getting the new Specialized Enduro 29er? I'm still torn between the 2 bikes. I find the sizing of the Covert a bit strange, the reach of the L frame is 11mm shorter than that of the size M Enduro 29er. So by that measurement I should go with the XL, but I'm only 6' (182cm).
    To answer your first question: YES. If I'm being honest...yes. I prepaid my C29 last fall and started riding in January. Had I waited and bought a bike 6 months later it would have been the Enduro 29. As it stands, the C29 rides so well that I have no desire to lose money selling my bike and buying a new Enduro 29...yet. But, an additional 10% travel with chainstays 0.8" shorter...I like it.

    On the flip side: The Enduro 29 only has 0.5" more travel (depending on front or rear) and has a long wheelbase for a given size (this is Specialized in general). I'm not sure the extra travel is enough to be groundbreaking compared to the C29 and the C29 has a pretty short wheelbase due to the shorter top tubes so it still handles very well despite the longer chainstays. For a given size: do you want a short wheelbase with slightly longer chainstays (C29) or a longer wheelbase with short chainstays (E29)?

    Someone who puts emphasis on being able to "work" the rear of the bike (manuals, wheelie drops, side hops, etc...) may prefer the E29. Someone who appreciates what comes with a shorter top tube and wheelbase (snappy handling, power position riding, etc...) may really like the C29.

    As for size, I have always been right between L and XL on Specialized bikes (6'3"). I really like the shorter reach and upright power position on my XL C29. If I had a E29 I would choose a large which would give me a near identical wheelbase with a slightly longer reach and slightly shorter chainstays. I would suggest the L C29 or you may run out of room to use a dropper post on the XL. If your legs are long enough to allow this then the XL would be fine. Going with the L C29 would certainly mean adapting your riding position. I did just that going from long reach XL Yeti's and Specialized bikes to the shorter reach XL C29. I like the change so much that I would now choose a size L Yeti or Specialized (and have as I also own a L 575).

    By being on a shorter upright bike you are positioned optimally for power transfer from the hips, which is much stronger than the laid out knee focused position on other bikes. It does take some time to build up the power in your hips but after this is done it is so easy to jump out of the saddle to a standing pedal. I pedal while standing way more than I ever have before and find it quite advantageous compared to the hunchback seated position. With the shorter reach there is also much less monkey motion required when shifting your weight around for climbs/ descents.

  14. #214
    Deere Rider
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    717
    Here is a link to another thread I started on trying to tune my CTD fork and shock to have a more progressive spring curve to prevent constant bottoming.

  15. #215
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar View Post
    Did any of the Covert owners contemplate getting the new Specialized Enduro 29er? I'm still torn between the 2 bikes. I find the sizing of the Covert a bit strange, the reach of the L frame is 11mm shorter than that of the size M Enduro 29er. So by that measurement I should go with the XL, but I'm only 6' (182cm).
    I rode Specs on-and-off for most of the last decade, and looked at the Enduro 29 when shopping, but wrote it off. The shorter chainstays are overrated and possibly negated when you factor in the 1.00"-longer wheelbase of the E29 relative to the C29. And based on previous experience, I seriously doubt the E29 will be as stiff as the C29, especially the rear triangle. I always had problems with wandering on high speed descents with the Horst-Link, and I suspect it's because the axle is mounted to the seatstays, not the chainstays or a one-piece rear triangle. Also, the dropouts on the C29 (.75" thick) are built to withstand a nuclear strike from North Korea. I've never ridden a bike this stiff before.

    Yes, the short top tube of the C29 seemed odd to me when I was shopping, but I pulled the trigger anyway. When I first rode mine on the street right after building it up, the cockpit instantly felt more cramped than I was accustomed to, but once on the trail I never noticed again.

    Unless you're an XC racer, the Covert 29 really is a quiver-killer as advertised. It's an excellent climber, but an even better descender and dirt jumper, all for just over 30 lbs.

  16. #216
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    67
    The above points are great. Things I like beside their comments are the build. Fox Kash suspension, upright position, stiff bike. The stiff bike plays into the equation a lot for me. To get to those awesome trails, I've got to climb those gnar trails. I really am pleased with it. My x9 rear brake on the other hand from build two lost all power last week as I was descending some fast rough single track. I was instantly answered by Lars at Transition by the way when I emailed with questions. 5 gold stars for him! My xt with ice tech should be showing up today I got build 2 for the price point and have otherwise been overwhelmed at the bikes pure bad-ass-ted-ness!
    Has anyone changed out their tires? I have 800 miles on my Hans Dampfs and the knobs are starting to tare away ( don't want a back country flat). I like the fatness of them however. Has anyone tried the big ardents 2.4 or minnion 2.5? Will that monster fit? Just thinking about them...makes me want to try. Whats your take?

    6/20 Ok went with the Ardent 2.4's and they will work as a back tire but the 2.4 Ardent is much slimmer than the HD 2.35!!! I will run the Ardents as a rear till gone but when I replace my front it has got to be the HD. Just in case anyone is replacing tires yet.
    Last edited by DPeper; 06-20-2013 at 05:40 PM.

  17. #217
    Deere Rider
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by DPeper View Post
    The above points are great. Things I like beside their comments are the build. Fox Kash suspension, upright position, stiff bike. The stiff bike plays into the equation a lot for me. To get to those awesome trails, I've got to climb those gnar trails. I really am pleased with it. My x9 rear brake on the other hand from build two lost all power last week as I was descending some fast rough single track. I was instantly answered by Lars at Transition by the way when I emailed with questions. 5 gold stars for him! My xt with ice tech should be showing up today I got build 2 for the price point and have otherwise been overwhelmed at the bikes pure bad-ass-ted-ness!
    Has anyone changed out their tires? I have 800 miles on my Hans Dampfs and the knobs are starting to tare away ( don't want a back country flat). I like the fatness of them however. Has anyone tried the big ardents 2.4 or minnion 2.5? Will that monster fit? Just thinking about them...makes me want to try. Whats your take?
    I'm using a HD on the front and a 2.25 Nobby Nic on the rear. The smaller Nic made a noticeable difference compared to a HD in less rolling resistance and acceleration. I really like this combo. I don't see moving away from the HD on the front...just awesome.

  18. #218
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    67
    I've heard several riders saying to go with that combo or something close. I'm looking to bigger on this set and just wondered if anyone had the same thought. I probably won't be going smaller though, till I try some floaty beefy tires. I have an Ardent exo 2.4 coming shortly and will probably try it on both ends of the bike before getting too settled.

  19. #219
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zonoskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    909
    Usefull stuff here, thanks. Gives me stuff to think about. Although I don't understand why you would say the S29 has a longer wheelbase compared to the C29. I guess if you were to compare equaly sized bikes (so L for L), this is correct. But for the S29, I would go with the medium sized frame, whereas for the C29, I would go for the L sized frame. Both have 1160-ish wheelbase. The C29 has 11mm less reach, so should be a bit more cramped/upright than the S29, or be used with a 10mm longer stem.

    I like the climbing part of your comment. In our 'all mountain' rides, we do a lot of climbing.

    Has anyone ever tried a 150mm fork on this bike? That would slacken the HA a bit. I think that would be perfect.

  20. #220
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    I've been running the 2.5 Minion up front for awhile, awesome tire!, with a 2.3 DHR2 in the back. Great combo for pure traction. I'm running an MRP 2x chainguide with an XT 24/38 crankset, the 2.5 Minion would probably rub on the chainguide but it would fit the frame no problem. I will probably try the 2.5 in the back for lift assist when the resorts open, but not sure it will work with the chainguide.

  21. #221
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,582

    covert 29er

    The DHF / DHR2 combination is impressive. I've been riding that on my Prime for about a month now. Later this summer I'll set up with a lighter 2nd wheelset with a HR2 / Ikon 2.35 for XCish duties.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  22. #222
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zonoskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    909
    Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar View Post
    Has anyone ever tried a 150mm fork on this bike? That would slacken the HA a bit. I think that would be perfect.
    Anyone?

  23. #223
    Deere Rider
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar View Post
    Anyone?
    I think it would work fine. For some reason my 34 Float is giving me about 5.75" of travel. I don't think 5.9" would be any different. Let 'er rip.

  24. #224
    Deere Rider
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer27 View Post
    I rode Specs on-and-off for most of the last decade, and looked at the Enduro 29 when shopping, but wrote it off. The shorter chainstays are overrated and possibly negated when you factor in the 1.00"-longer wheelbase of the E29 relative to the C29. And based on previous experience, I seriously doubt the E29 will be as stiff as the C29, especially the rear triangle. I always had problems with wandering on high speed descents with the Horst-Link, and I suspect it's because the axle is mounted to the seatstays, not the chainstays or a one-piece rear triangle. Also, the dropouts on the C29 (.75" thick) are built to withstand a nuclear strike from North Korea. I've never ridden a bike this stiff before.

    Yes, the short top tube of the C29 seemed odd to me when I was shopping, but I pulled the trigger anyway. When I first rode mine on the street right after building it up, the cockpit instantly felt more cramped than I was accustomed to, but once on the trail I never noticed again.

    Unless you're an XC racer, the Covert 29 really is a quiver-killer as advertised. It's an excellent climber, but an even better descender and dirt jumper, all for just over 30 lbs.
    Good points...good stuff.

  25. #225
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    183
    You can always install one of those new Cane Creek Anglesets to get a slacker head angle.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •