Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: covert 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Blimey, how?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    It's just happened when I was riding on not so technial trails. So probably there have been a crack in the chain stay.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Just joined the club. Was missing the travel of my old Giant Reign that I sold to build a Salsa Big Mama and join the wagon wheel party.

Found one of the "ProBuild" bikes in L on Pricepoint for a very reasonable price and scooped it up after doing some research. It sounds like the bike to give me everything I'm missing from that Reign, plus all the advantages of 29" wheels.

After reading about some owners upgrading the shock with larger air spring spacers I also read that some found the larger spacer (middle in the set) already in the shock. Does this indicate that some bikes left the factory with an adequate spacer and others with maybe a smaller spacer and this led to some loving it and others finding it blowing through the travel?

As the spacer kit is cheap and the job is easy, I guess I'll find out. Cane Creek is always a fall back, just don't want to if I don't have to.

At 6'1" and ~250, I'm a candidate for needing the air spring right for my size.

Looking forward to getting the bike, moving the Eten, Mary bars and Spinergy wheels from the Salsa to the Covert, then I'll be hitting the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenfool View Post
    Just joined the club. Was missing the travel of my old Giant Reign that I sold to build a Salsa Big Mama and join the wagon wheel party.

Found one of the "ProBuild" bikes in L on Pricepoint for a very reasonable price and scooped it up after doing some research. It sounds like the bike to give me everything I'm missing from that Reign, plus all the advantages of 29" wheels.

After reading about some owners upgrading the shock with larger air spring spacers I also read that some found the larger spacer (middle in the set) already in the shock. Does this indicate that some bikes left the factory with an adequate spacer and others with maybe a smaller spacer and this led to some loving it and others finding it blowing through the travel?

As the spacer kit is cheap and the job is easy, I guess I'll find out. Cane Creek is always a fall back, just don't want to if I don't have to.

At 6'1" and ~250, I'm a candidate for needing the air spring right for my size.

Looking forward to getting the bike, moving the Eten, Mary bars and Spinergy wheels from the Salsa to the Covert, then I'll be hitting the trails.
    Hate to burst your bubble on the shock but the fox ctd is one of the worst I've ever ridden. My Covert 26 came with one, swapped to a non debonair monarch after 3 rides which was a massive improvement. Eventually went to a cc dB inline and never looked back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster View Post
    Hate to burst your bubble on the shock but the fox ctd is one of the worst I've ever ridden. My Covert 26 came with one, swapped to a non debonair monarch after 3 rides which was a massive improvement. Eventually went to a cc dB inline and never looked back.

Did you change out the air spring spacer to a larger size, or, just give up and buy something else?

For $34 the Fox spacer kit will be my first change before abandoning the shock. Might consider sending it to PUSH. It's not like Fox is new to suspension, they just have a lot of ways to tune their shocks and the bike manufacturer might not take advantage of that during frame assembly.

I've read good things about the DB and had a CC shock years ago on a Giant NRS that I liked quite a bit.

Thanks for the feedback on your experience.

connisseur
    I put on a monarch plus debonair last fall and it transformed the ride, I'm running more sag than I ever have before cause it has so much mid stroke support. Much nicer pedaling platform but it feels pillow soft off the top of the stroke, odd sensation honestly never felt it before.

I hope the frame holds up cause I got this bike dialed might try a 1x drivetrain but otherwise it's money

mtbr member
    Did you change out the air spring spacer to a larger size, or, just give up and buy something else?

For $34 the Fox spacer kit will be my first change before abandoning the shock. Might consider sending it to PUSH. It's not like Fox is new to suspension, they just have a lot of ways to tune their shocks and the bike manufacturer might not take advantage of that during frame assembly.

I've read good things about the DB and had a CC shock years ago on a Giant NRS that I liked quite a bit.

Thanks for the feedback on your experience.
    The ctd is one of the worst shocks ever made. I wasn't about to spend any money on it when I had a perfectly good monarch plus to swap out

Team _________

"Clatto Verata Nicto"
    Feb 2006
    Last edited by TexReign; 03-17-2016 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Misposted. Where's the Nuke button?
    Local Riding Area - Rocky Hill Bike Ranch

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster View Post
    The ctd is one of the worst shocks ever made. I wasn't about to spend any money on it when I had a perfectly good monarch plus to swap out
    So, um, that would be a "no" then? To the question of whether you tried to fine tune the shock.

It seems to review about middle of the road, with some loving it, some hating it, and some having fixed it to their satisfaction. Many reviews I read went into some detail about their experience.

I'll give it a whirl, as it is there already, and I don't have another to replace it, unless the shock on my Salsa has the same dimensions.

It is new and under warranty, so I have that avenue to pursue if there are issues. There are a number of options to consider beyond ponying up $550 for the Cane Creek without giving the Fox a chance, based only upon your opinion and a smattering of poor reviews among as many others with better experiences.

Your opinion is appreciated, even if it falls short on detail enough for me to discern whether you already had another shock that you liked better and would have swapped it out anyway, or, had issues, tried to work with Fox or a suspension expert to fix them and then chose another shock only after doing so. I'm left thinking it was the former rather than the latter.

Given that you had a ready option that didn't cost anything to implement I would likely make the same choice in that circumstance. I don't have that option, so, I'm looking for feedback from those who have taken time to get their problems sorted without a major upgrade.

I hope you can see how repeatedly writing how you feel that "The CTD is one of the worst shocks ever made" doesn't help much as far as constructive dialogue might go.

Glad you got your bike sorted to your liking.
    Last edited by ridenfool; 03-21-2016 at 10:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Took it out for first dirt and to begin dialing in the suspension. Overall I am very pleased with this bike.

This one came from PricePoint with an X-Fusion Trace RL2 fork. Their chart indicates a starting pressure for my weight at 110 psi for 220+. That was too harsh, even with my 250 lbs. on the bike. Over about ten miles of trail I have rolled it down to 80 psi and will likely go another five or ten lower. It is getting dialed in.

The Float CTD I'm still adding air to trying to find the right balance. More adjustment to be done there. Initially set it up as per Fox recommendations for 20% sag. That was found at 190 psi and on the trail it was a little squishy. The o-ring was hitting 90% travel pretty easily. Bumped it up to 210 lbs. and the feel is a little better. I may need to swap out a spacer in the air chamber to get a more progressive feel. Overall I like the shock. It is compliant and doing a fine job tracking the irregularities in the trail.

This bike climbs amazingly well. Loving the 2 x 10 and the derailleur clutch. No problems at all, though I have a Blackburn Stinger coming to act as insurance to avoid chain drops. Also moving a rock ring over from the Big Mama.

As per suggestions in this thread I re-routed the front derailleur cable to come in from above, using the dropper cable tie points on the frame. This seems much better than having the rear wheel throw grit into the open end facing up. Also did a reroute of the rear derailleur cable to take some of the bends out by bringing it up the right side using the now abandoned cable attach points for the OEM front derailleur, crossing the frame under the forward shock mount, then tying to the front attach on the left with the rear brake cable. Much nicer.

I wish there was a little more seat tube in the frame. As it is I lifted the seat to the 'do not go any further' line on the post and was still an inch and a half short for my 34" inseam.

The cockpit felt very natural and the Large frame clicked on all other points. I may need to cut down the bars a little, or, move my Mary's from the Big Mama. Those are some comfortable bars.

This is a fun bike to ride, it makes it easy to be smooth whether following the line or missing it and going over a root or rut. It is very stable and just keeps on rolling.

Makes me wonder why Transition decided to discontinue it, and FS 29ers in general.

Glad to have joined the Covert 29 party.
    Last edited by ridenfool; 03-23-2016 at 10:01 AM.

mtbr member
    So, um, that would be a "no" then? To the question of whether you tried to fine tune the shock.

It seems to review about middle of the road, with some loving it, some hating it, and some having fixed it to their satisfaction. Many reviews I read went into some detail about their experience.

I'll give it a whirl, as it is there already, and I don't have another to replace it, unless the shock on my Salsa has the same dimensions.

It is new and under warranty, so I have that avenue to pursue if there are issues. There are a number of options to consider beyond ponying up $550 for the Cane Creek without giving the Fox a chance, based only upon your opinion and a smattering of poor reviews among as many others with better experiences.

Your opinion is appreciated, even if it falls short on detail enough for me to discern whether you already had another shock that you liked better and would have swapped it out anyway, or, had issues, tried to work with Fox or a suspension expert to fix them and then chose another shock only after doing so. I'm left thinking it was the former rather than the latter.

Given that you had a ready option that didn't cost anything to implement I would likely make the same choice in that circumstance. I don't have that option, so, I'm looking for feedback from those who have taken time to get their problems sorted without a major upgrade.

I hope you can see how repeatedly writing how you feel that "The CTD is one of the worst shocks ever made" doesn't help much as far as constructive dialogue might go.

Glad you got your bike sorted to your liking.
    I did not even bother reducing the air volume because the shock had absolutely no compression dampening in the open position, in the trail position it was spikey. I pulled it off immediately so that I could sell it without putting a ton of hours on it. I do know that for me the ctd was a lost cause, maybe not everyone feels that way. I'm extremely sensitive to underperforming suspension, so much so that the monarch I once revered (now the debonair version) was pulled off my Nomad 3 in short order to make way for a bos void which I got in a trade.

Sorry for my previous short reply, I just hope you are able to find an acceptable level of performance in the ctd.

Team _________

connisseur
    Yeah I routed both front and rear shifting on drive side of frame, front runs along top tube down to der and rear routes directly along down tube to the chainstay, much smoother shifting.

I think Transition drank the new skool geometry koolaid, you know the "design a frame around running a 35mm stem" koolaid

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Getting the "lost cause" "worst shock ever" dialed in nicely. The CTD seems to work pretty well, now that I'm in the ballpark on the pressure. I may go with a larger volume air spacer eventually, just to feel the difference. For now I've got it to where it isn't bottoming, and, it is soaking up everything the trail throws at it. Still fiddling with the settings both on the front and the rear until I get it where I like it. This is usually a time consuming endeavor for me, whether on mountain bike or motorcycle. I like it when the suspension makes riding rough stuff easy by keeping the tires in contact with the trail. For me, it has always been worth the trouble of learning the equipment and how to make it work the way the engineers designed it. Some people don't have the patience for tuning, and, they don't get the same results. Go figure.

The Covert 29 rails turns like a 26" bike. Still pushing toward the edge of the comfort zone on each ride, and, finding myself still quite comfortable.

Only have about 30 miles of trail behind me on the Covert so far. It usually takes about a hundred on an MTB to get things like suspension and fit sorted to my liking.

I'm pretty happy with the change in cable routing. It shifts easily and now the front housing won't fill up with crud.

Not so happy with the short seat tube. Does anyone else find their seatpost danger line an inch or so above the clamp to get the right fit? It looks like there is enough reinforcement with that GT-ish triangle to provide adequate strength, but, they could have made the tube an inch or two longer.

This bike is panning out to be a great value and a ton of fun to ride.

Thanks again to all those who contributed constructive dialogue to the thread, many of those useful tidbits have been invaluable.

connisseur
    I'm 6'2" and ride an XL, fit is good I have shorter legs/longer torso for my height. I would say at your height your on the border between the L and XL, so it makes sense your running extra post. I would try a 425mm post, dropper post for sure , you could break the post or the frame at the gusset on the TT/ST junction.

On the shock, I initially ran a 140 Revelation fork and felt the susp was well balanced with CTD shock. It worked fine but was a tad harsh on smaller stuff cause I was running less sag and I kept it in trail mode cause the open mode was way too soft for my liking. Then I upgraded to Pike fork and felt the rear susp was being overwhelmed. The Pike is more progressive and the susp no longer felt balanced, I tried messing with settings but no luck. Bought a Monarch plus last fall and it's a good match for the Pike fork, much better mid stroke support and I can get away with 30%+ sag which gives a nice supple feel for the smaller chatter type stuff while still providing a solid pedaling platform. Essentially the bike rides higher in the travel now and doesn't blow thru on bigger hits.

Susp setup is so subjective, honestly most of the time my experience is opposite of what I read here, but I prefer a firmer setup while most seem to like the uber plush setup.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I know what you mean about balanced. Trying to get the fork to flow over stuff like the shock does at this point. The L frame feels very good as far as fit in the cockpit. very natural. My 34" inseam is raising the dropper to where it has 4" in the seat tube. The bottom of the post is in just past the top of the top tube, so should be pretty well braced. Even if I had it in to the mark on the seat post the bottom of the post would not go in as far as the bottom of the top tube. A two to three inch longer post might offer more strength. Having broke a frame once, Giant NRS, from too long a post, I am aware of how the leverage can put some stress on the frame. This one isn't too bad compared to the setup that broke the NRS. Where I ride, the uber plush feel is my favorite as it keeps the tire planted for consistent traction. Stiffen the suspension too far and it doesn't follow the terrain here as well. I'm down to 80 psi in the fork and will be trying 75. Haven't bottomed it yet. Weird that the manual says it should have 120psi for someone thirty pounds less than my weight (highest setting indicated). In the scheme of balance the bike is feeling very good, and should improve as I tweak things. Got to order the Fox Air Spring Spacer kit for the shock because it is so easy to change the spacer, might as well play with it some. A little more progressive back there might balance it up with the fork as it is.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Glad to see this thread has been revived. I just ordered an XL in matte white for $650 shipped from Price Point!!! I really couldn't pass up that deal. The shock alone would be around half that price.
    I have my Foes Mutz full suspension fatty listed on eBay and I've been trying to decide what direction to go, aggressive 29er or 27.5plus bike. Seeing the price on this frame made my decision easy.
    Now the real question, has anybody tried putting 27.5 plus wheels on this frame? Thinking 2.8" tires as clearance looks a bit tight. My other choice of wheels is a 29x30 or 35mm rim with a 2.4 rear and 2.5 front tire. After riding with 4" tires for almost a year I have a hard time with skinny tires.
    Any pics of rear tire clearance?
    I'm planning on going with a Pike or Yari plus with Boost spacing so I will have plenty of wheel/tire options for the front. It's the back I'm curious about.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    tvan,
    any info on 27+ on the rear? thinking about purchasing on for 27+ also.

thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    There's no way a 3"+ tyre would fit in the rear triangle, it's too narrow

Pedal-worx racing

connisseur
    I fit a 2.5 DHF in the back once for a day at the bike park, had to run it in the big ring only(2x drivetrain) cause the chain would rub in the granny. I could see a 27.5+ fitting but never tried

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I can see there being issues with tire clearance with a 2x setup. I have a 1x and a 2.4" minion and no issues. I tried my friends plus wheel just to check tire clearance and it was tight but he has 3" tires. I think it really comes down to finding a 2.8" that measures on the smaller side and using a 30-35mm rim. That being said I plan on sticking with 29" wheels for now and building a plus wheelset for next winter.
    The Minion 2.5" DHF up front is awesome! Hooks up amazingly well on all surfaces and is burly enough to go full out into rock gardens and not worry about punctures or ripping the sidewall.
    I don't think the plus tires are good for really agressive riding. They get squirmy when pushed hard and they are too thin.
    I think a good compromise is to run a 2.5" tire with a 35-40mm rim. The tire choices are way better and you end up with a tire volume that is closer to plus size.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I now have 5 rides on my Covert 29 and I'm loving it so far. The geometry is perfect for me, I'm 6'2" and have longer legs than torso, riding an XL. The steeper seat tube angle felt perfect right from the start. It really keeps you centered over the bike and helps when climbing. The BB height comes in at 13.5" with the 150mm pike so no issue with pedal strikes. Chai stays could be a bit shorter but that's a compromise when climbing so maybe they are also perfect where they are. The Fox CTD does feel like it blows through the travel when in descend mode but I've found that I prefer riding in trail mode even on downhill sections. I set the sag with lever in trail mode as well to help soften it a tad and I run the trail adjust on softest setting. Not perfect but pretty damn good. I plan on upgrading to the Cane Creek inline in a few weeks to really make this bike perfect.
    I really have not felt more confident on a bike this quickly before. It seems to do everything right. Too bad they discontinued this design, I hope the new ones are as good if not better. Highly recommend this bike if you come across one new or used.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tvan View Post
    I now have 5 rides on my Covert 29 and I'm loving it so far. The geometry is perfect for me, I'm 6'2" and have longer legs than torso, riding an XL. The steeper seat tube angle felt perfect right from the start. It really keeps you centered over the bike and helps when climbing. The BB height comes in at 13.5" with the 150mm pike so no issue with pedal strikes. Chai stays could be a bit shorter but that's a compromise when climbing so maybe they are also perfect where they are. The Fox CTD does feel like it blows through the travel when in descend mode but I've found that I prefer riding in trail mode even on downhill sections. I set the sag with lever in trail mode as well to help soften it a tad and I run the trail adjust on softest setting. Not perfect but pretty damn good. I plan on upgrading to the Cane Creek inline in a few weeks to really make this bike perfect.
    I really have not felt more confident on a bike this quickly before. It seems to do everything right. Too bad they discontinued this design, I hope the new ones are as good if not better. Highly recommend this bike if you come across one new or used.
    I'll start my build up of a Bandit 29 in the next couple of days. I purchased it through Pricepoint too, since I broke my Niner frame a month ago and it was no longer covered under warranty. Ready to get back on a bike. I'm between 6-6'1" and got the XL as well. It measures out at 21", which is 1" taller than what my Niner was that measured out at 20" as a L. I'm thinking all I will have to do initially is lower the seatpost and maybe mess with the stem in the future.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678