Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: covert 29er

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jmontroy View Post
    I'll be in Moab as well that weekend! What are you riding?
    Hopefully Porcupine...and...Amasa area, Mag 7, Brand trails, Bartlet, Slickrock. Hopefully as much as our legs can stand for four days...first day in Fruita of a five day trip.

beater

covert 29er

Prioritize Pipe Dream over the Brand trails. [Edit- noticed you didn't mention Sovereign - you're probably familiar with those trails, but if not, I'd ride them before Brand, unless you have beginners with you.] And I assume you noticed in the UT forum that there's a new trail on Amasa Back. Have fun- you should have a Moab killer there in your Covert. I'm headed there in a month, myself.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Prioritize Pipe Dream over the Brand trails. [Edit- noticed you didn't mention Sovereign - you're probably familiar with those trails, but if not, I'd ride them before Brand, unless you have beginners with you.] And I assume you noticed in the UT forum that there's a new trail on Amasa Back. Have fun- you should have a Moab killer there in your Covert. I'm headed there in a month, myself.
    Yep, we have some green riders in the group. Thus, the Brand trails are good to hit to give those guys a break. Soverign was fun and a good suggestion as I think everybody would enjoy the area. The only part of Amasa I have done is the original climb last year and then got rained out. I really want to explore those trails. Did Pipe Dream two years ago and had a luke warm experience...but that might be because I had my knee stitched up the day before. Porcupine is always the highlight and we try to hit it twice if possible so I'm hoping there's some serious snow melting going on right now. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Im going to buy a covert 29 but is not sure what size i need (L or XL). I'm 188 cm tall. Any advices?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ansman View Post
    Im going to buy a covert 29 but is not sure what size i need (L or XL). I'm 188 cm tall. Any advices?
    You're only 2" shorter than me and I ride a XL, with a lot post showing, and I have about a 34" inseam.

I'd go with an XL. It also ran a bit smaller than my 2012 Trek Rumblefish XL if that's any reference for you.
    "Obviously, you're not a golfer."

mtbr member
    That sounds a lot like my agenda, as well. We usually camp down Kane Creek so it's a good launching point for Amasa and others in the area. Happy riding and if you see a big fella' on a gold Covert with blue wheels say "hi"!
    "Obviously, you're not a golfer."

newie
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrien View Post
    Frame is here

Build should be complete in a few weeks

Have everything on order, just waiting on some backorder stuff.

Size Large Black Covert
    Fox Float CTD Trail Adjust Kashima Shock
    Fox Float CTD Trail Adjust Kashima 140mm 15mm thru Fork
    Cane Creek 40 headset
    Thomson Stem/Seatpost
    Specialized Henge Expert Saddle
    Thomson Carbon AM Bar
    ODI Lockon Ruffians
    Spank Spike Pedals
    Hope QR Collar
    Hope Hubs laced to Stan's ZTR Flow EX
    Specialized S-WORKS Purgatory Tires
    Full XT Groupset w/finned pads and ICE-TECH rotors

Crossing my fingers that it comes in under 30lbs

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ansman View Post
    I am 6'3" so just one inch taller than you. I have the XL with a 50mm stem and 800mm bar. At first it felt very short, especially compared to my previous XL ASR7 (Yeti uses long top tubes). I had planned to use a 70mm stem whenever someone came out with one for the 35mm bar. After riding two months, I may just stay here as I really like how things are handling now that I've made the adjustmemt.

So...long story longer. You are right between recommended sizes as you stated. The L has a reach that is only 0.8" shorter than the XL so technically I could get the same fit on a L by using a 70mm stem. Same for you. You can vary the stem lenth by 20mm and get the same "reach" from saddle to grips on both sizes. How do you like a bike to fit and handle? If you are used to longer top tubes go for the XL. If you like a shorter upright position for playful handling, go L. XL with shorter stem and longer wheelbase or L with longer stem and shorter wheelbase.

My guess is that most people in your situation would choose the XL as their previous bikes all had long top tubes. If you come from a BMX background or understand that there are handling advantages available with the shorter bikes then the L could be a good choice.

My current setup is much, much shorter than anything I have ever done and there has been a learing curve...mainly for climbing. Now that I understand where to better position my body during certain situations, I will never go back to the long and slow handling from my past.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've just pressed the button on a Covert 29 and am super excited. The bike shop seemed to think that they wont get one in until April but couldn't confirm the date just yet. Does anyone know if this is the latest delivery from Transition? I don't doubt the bike shop but am just super-excited and want an idea as to when it might turn up? I've gone for a Medium in white with build kit 3 with an upgraded rear shock (Fox CDT Adjust boost) and reverb dropper post.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbliscott View Post
    I've just pressed the button on a Covert 29 and am super excited. The bike shop seemed to think that they wont get one in until April but couldn't confirm the date just yet. Does anyone know if this is the latest delivery from Transition? I don't doubt the bike shop but am just super-excited and want an idea as to when it might turn up? I've gone for a Medium in white with build kit 3 with an upgraded rear shock (Fox CDT Adjust boost) and reverb dropper post.
    My Bandit 29 showed up a little bit early and my Covert 29 was seriously ahead of schedule getting to me. So I'm going to guess that you will be pleasantly surprised by the delivery date when you get your new ride.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Ok I've had some decent rides now on mine and have been pleased with the product. I rode Tuesday in St. George UT area which was the first ride on some extended singletrack. The Covert 29er is the real deal. I will be posting a video of it running another local trail later in the week. I'll shot with a POV cam on a unicorn mount aimed at capturing the bike at work and under load, by a non-pro rider. The suspension is impressive to say the least. I am new to dropper posts and have now come to rely on its benefits. Once you start using one you'll never go back. The bike climbs really well and I'll be lowering my bars a bit to keep the front wheel down. I did notice that mine with a couple of spacers in it seemed light. Nothing that can't be adjusted and it wasn't out of control. The part that surprised me was the amount of noise put out by the rear shock that baby was bumpin! I'll be guaging its effort by that noise for the near future. I'm 190lbs and I'm running 80 fork and 180 shock. I've just been going in trail as none of the riding so far has had extended DH.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico View Post
    My Bandit 29 showed up a little bit early and my Covert 29 was seriously ahead of schedule getting to me. So I'm going to guess that you will be pleasantly surprised by the delivery date when you get your new ride.
    You were right! It's arrived and being built up now. I will pick up this weekend, can't wait, though it might be a week before I get a proper ride on it. The excitement is building!

Deere Rider
    The Covert 29 performed wonderfully in Moab. The bike maneuvered well and never once did I feel too "long" in the tight stuff. I have adapted to the upright short position and found it very comfortable in uncertain technical terrain both up and down.

I only noticed the longer chainstays compared to my ASR7 in two instances. One was when climbing a very steep incline and a power move was required to pop over a ledge. I found myself getting my weight too far forward and spinning the rear tire. The second is when trying to manual. I find it's hard to lift and hold the front tire for surprise wheelie drops. It takes a deliberate effort of weighting the front a bit and popping up to suspend the front wheel. When I saw the drop coming and had the time to use proper technique it was easy. It was just more difficult when trying to do this in a split second with no warning.

I never felt like my "tail" was trailing behind me like I do on the Giant Anthem X29. Still, I am very excited about the new Enduro 29 with the amazingly short stays. I hope this sparks a new round of innovation in the long travel 29er ranks. 17.7" stays and 140mm of travel is adequate, but 16.9" stays and 155mm of travel sounds incredible!

Though I am excited with the numbers on the new Enduro 29, I am extremely pleased with how the Covert 29 is performing as an all-around trail bike that is perfectly suited to Moab style technical terrain. I will ride the C29 until she's ready to retire and hope to see more options along the lines of the new Enduro 29 in a couple years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've had a few rides on my new steed now so thought I'd check back in with a report of first impressions. I ride in Derbyshire in the UK and following a particularly crummy 2012 'summer' followed by an even more crummy winter conditions are far from ideal, thick heavy mud, frozen rutted ground, so a real test for any bike and rider. Coming from a lightweight XC hard tail I was a bit concerned about the extra weight of the Covert, but so far I've not really noticed it to be a significant issue. I'm amazed by how well the bike handles XC pedaling and steep technical climbs, especially in the tricky conditions we've got. Then when it comes to the downhills the bike comes into its own and definitely promotes the more fun side which is what I was looking for following my more serious and focussed XC hardtail. So far I'm loving it an the bike is exceeding my expectations. It is definitely living upto the All-Mountain label. Can't get enough of it right now. Got some big rides planned, I'm just hoping the 2013 summer is an improvement over 2012's.

beater
    Chili Pepper Bikes in Moab has a few Covert 29s in their rental fleet, and we rented one for a friend. She was getting banged around on her GF Mamba, and while she has ridden the Mamba on Porcupine before, after a year of little riding she wasn't having as much fun on Mag 7 as we hoped. We decided that she needed something squishy for Porc and staged an intervention. It's a nice looking bike. She liked it a lot, but the Bandit would be a better fit for her back home. I kicked around on it for a couple minutes, but not enough to form an opinion. I outweigh her by ~50+ lbs and didn't feel like pulling out the shock pump so that was it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Has anyone changed their stock gearing yet smaller with the 2x and guide. I'm half temped to go with a smaller big ring in a 32t. However the mrp2+ guide stock is only set for 36 I think ( sorry in the office) and may not be compatible. Whats the experience here. I just don't see me needing this big a ring up front and for the rest of the trail I'd probably get better shifts. will the guide work with a 32t?

Who knows of some deals on different gear options?
    Considering going with RaceFace Turbine 10spd 22/32 set from universalcycles.com
    speak to me and share your expertise.

I ride an area that it's either up of down and not interested in going 1x. Sometimes the climbs are long and sucking thus the question. The bike is awesome! I'm just NOT.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DPeper View Post
    Has anyone changed their stock gearing yet smaller with the 2x and guide. I'm half temped to go with a smaller big ring in a 32t. However the mrp2+ guide stock is only set for 36 I think ( sorry in the office) and may not be compatible. Whats the experience here. I just don't see me needing this big a ring up front and for the rest of the trail I'd probably get better shifts. will the guide work with a 32t?

Who knows of some deals on different gear options?
    Considering going with RaceFace Turbine 10spd 22/32 set from universalcycles.com
    speak to me and share your expertise.

I ride an area that it's either up of down and not interested in going 1x. Sometimes the climbs are long and sucking thus the question. The bike is awesome! I'm just NOT.
    Check out the MRP LRP for 2x setups. It has a 32-36t range. A 32x11t high gear is plenty fast on a 29er.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico View Post
    Check out the MRP LRP for 2x setups. It has a 32-36t range. A 32x11t high gear is plenty fast on a 29er.
    With all the 1x11 talk it stands to reason that the 32/22 or 24 would be ideal for the rest of the non-pro riders. Has anyone changed these rings out yet? This is an awesome idea however the cheapster in me says make the guide I already have work. ...somehow

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DPeper View Post
    With all the 1x11 talk it stands to reason that the 32/22 or 24 would be ideal for the rest of the non-pro riders. Has anyone changed these rings out yet? This is an awesome idea however the cheapster in me says make the guide I already have work. ...somehow
    I have a MRP LRP roller setup on my '12 Bandit. I'm currently running 20-30t front on a 180mm Mr Whirly 5 bolt compact crank, a 32t ring will be swapped on next time the cranks are off. The arm holding the roller has been notched to clear the swingarm and the roller slot is filed, so that the roller sits very high and close to the BBG bashguard.

Zero shifting or chain control problems, very quiet also and I'm not even running a rear derailleur with a clutch. So the same setup will be replicated (with a 175mm Mr Whirly) on my Covert 29 when it gets built after the SOC. However, I may go for a rear derailleur with a clutch on the C29 as it will see higher speeds and bigger drops with it's greater focus on gravity days.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    covert 29er-img_0053.jpg

I put a Hope IBG 32t on my covert.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I used to run a 34 on my previous bike and would spin it out on the fireroads but not on the trails. If you have a 36t cog in the back a 22 granny would be some pretty low gearing. Personally I would go a little higher like 34/24, that would give you smooth shifts up front and a bit higher gearing, and still have that low bailout gear.

beater

covert 29er

I agree. I have a 11-36 in back and currently a 24/36 in front. I'm surprised by how much I can push the 36x36, but I think I'll change that ring out for a 34 this spring and gain a lot more time in the big ring. I think that'll be perfect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quick query here... Is there any maintenance to do on the suspension pivot bushings? Any lubrication needed? It is pretty muddy in the uk and the bike is getting regular hose downs so I'm concerned with washing out any bushing lube. Cheers.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbliscott View Post
    Quick query here... Is there any maintenance to do on the suspension pivot bushings? Any lubrication needed? It is pretty muddy in the uk and the bike is getting regular hose downs so I'm concerned with washing out any bushing lube. Cheers.
    Not bushings. Sealed cartridge bearings. Might be a bit late, but try not to hit them with water spray. If I had been spraying them down, I would probable order a spare bearing set and the required tool or tools needed to install them from Transition...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've been spraying my bike down and trying to avoid the stuff as I'm sure you have. I'll be looking into those as well.
    Thanks for the input on the guide and ring setup. I'm thinking 32t so I can climb on that bigger hear more. Not much fire road here. Average strava is 8.6 mph for my rides. Not doing any shuttle stuff. Looking for a way to catch all the lefty riders who climb :-) the 32 would be the smallest that would fit the stock crank to resemble the x1. And keep the bail out gear for the steeps. Good term whoever posted that name. I liked it :-)

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast