Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: covert 29er

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    Digging the bike more and more! I have settled on the trail mode with the trail adj set at 1, on the Rev fork I like the middle setting with 3 clicks of LS comp. This gives the right balance of platform for pedaling yet still supple in the rocks.

BTW, the front shifting felt off so I checked out the housing/cable, it was all gunked up already at the BB end. Put a new piece of housing on and used a sealed housing end on that stop, vulnerable spot.
    Agreed. Also running in Trail #1. Flip to Descend and the chunky downhills disappear beneath me! This bike with 140mm travel and 29" wheels is an incredible thing. Roll it, drop it, pedal to the metal...I can't wait for Moab next month!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jmontroy View Post
    I'm not aware of anything, either, though a quick phone call to Transition would be the last word on the subject.

And you even get to speak to a real human being, an American one at that!!
    Thanks for your suggestion, but since I'm from germany (and got two different weight infos around here - once its free, once 120kg totally packed) and mtbr is linked on the transition page I hoped to get an official answer. Think I'm giving the call a try tonight

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hi, I'm currently drooling over the Covert 29er and am itching to make a purchase, maybe next month as soon as they become available in the UK. However decent write-ups on the bike seem to be few and far between at the moment. I've got a C'dale Flash 29er hardtail for my XC needs, but am looking for something a bit more on the fun side for my full suss bike, something I can work on getting some air on and hitting rock gardens harder and quicker than I currently do on my hard tail. Coming from such a lightweight hard tail I'm just wondering what the Covert is like for climbing? I'm not looking to break any records on the climbs - in fact climb slow and steady and save my legs for the downhills will be my strategy, but just want something that wont be bobbing around, doesn't feel too heavy and take on technical climbs (albeit slowly). I guess i'm after an All-Mountain bike in the true sense of the phrase. Sounds like the Covert 29er might fit the bill? My worry is that coming in at 33lbs for a full build, it might feel a bit of a weight to lug around. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi Wobbliscott, there are a number of demos in the UK available depending on what size you require and where you live, I test rode one at the weekend, did part of the mini enduro course in exeter, I wasn't that impressed, the bike just didn't handle that well, the bike prob needs more setting up in the sus department for me. I really love the look of the bike and wanted to do the megavalanche on it.
    I did the mega last year on a spec enduro which was great gave me confidence in every way. I would like to move away from the mainstream manufactures, Transition looked good, may be the covert 26 would be abetter bet?
    decisions decisions?
    on the plus it went up hill like a train which you would expect from a 29er.
    Cheers

rr
    I don't do PC
    33lbs is spot on for this kind of bike IMO, especially with beefier wheels/tires. It's not like a long travel 26" bike, this bike feels much more nimble and pedal friendly, more like a regular ol' trail bike.

Of course it's gonna feel a little sluggish compared to a lightweight hardtail but it climbs and pedals nice, step on the pedals and it goes. I think it's a better technical climber than my previous FS 29er as well due to it's more compact geometry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for the feedback chaps. I'm going to arrange a test ride, but not sure how much I can glean from a single ride without really getting used to the bike and setting up the suspension. I'm not trying to win any races on it and certainly not planning anything like the Megavalanche, but will be taking it to the Alps and just don't want it to climb like a Blancmange. Sound like it might fit the bill. Looking forward to a test ride now. Cheers.

newie
    Jan 2009
    Stealth Black Frameset w/ Fox Float CTD incoming, eta TUESDAY!

I'm thinking fox 34, full xt and some Hope hub/dt swiss wheels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shanerlb View Post
    Hi Wobbliscott, there are a number of demos in the UK available depending on what size you require and where you live, I test rode one at the weekend, did part of the mini enduro course in exeter, I wasn't that impressed, the bike just didn't handle that well, the bike prob needs more setting up in the sus department for me. I really love the look of the bike and wanted to do the megavalanche on it.
    I did the mega last year on a spec enduro which was great gave me confidence in every way. I would like to move away from the mainstream manufactures, Transition looked good, may be the covert 26 would be abetter bet?
    decisions decisions?
    on the plus it went up hill like a train which you would expect from a 29er.
    Cheers
    I can't emphasize enough how big of a difference getting the suspension and geo dialed in makes on this bike. On my first ride I was underwhelmed, climbed like sh!t and the descending didnt inspire confidence. Now that the suspension, particularly the rear shock, is tuned and the geometry is more suited to my riding style its like a whole new bike!

Like some others on this thread I'm running my rear in trail mode on the '1' setting.
    "Obviously, you're not a golfer."

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks - got a test ride organised so will make sure I have a play with the rear shock - though i was looking at the lower spec build kit 3 with the RockShox Monarch rear shock for my actual purchase, not sure what settings these have and how they compare with the Fox CDT. Might look to upgrade the rear shock then. Can't wait to give it a go though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just ordered a white large frame, should be here in a couple of weeks can't wait. I'll keep you all updated with the build.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel2yn View Post
    I guess time will tell us if 27.5 or 29 are the way to go...
    I already know the answer... for me

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Has anyone done any climbing on the Covert 29? How does it compare to the Yeti SB-95?

Unfortunately there are no demo Covert 29ers in SoCal that I am aware of. I've ridden the Banshee Prime and the TT is too short in a Large and I'm not willing to step up to the 48" WB on the XL. The Covert 29 in an XL feels pretty good, but I'd like to see how the seat angle positions me for the more technical climbs. I felt to cramped on the Prime and had a hard time getting traction. The SB-95 climbs pretty damn well, but I'm liking the Covert for more All-Mountain use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by INCONEL View Post
    Has anyone done any climbing on the Covert 29? How does it compare to the Yeti SB-95?

Unfortunately there are no demo Covert 29ers in SoCal that I am aware of. I've ridden the Banshee Prime and the TT is too short in a Large and I'm not willing to step up to the 48" WB on the XL. The Covert 29 in an XL feels pretty good, but I'd like to see how the seat angle positions me for the more technical climbs. I felt to cramped on the Prime and had a hard time getting traction. The SB-95 climbs pretty damn well, but I'm liking the Covert for more All-Mountain use.
    I've never tried the sb-95 so I can't compare the two, but I'd say its on par with my rumblefish which I thought was a great climber. I've ridden the c29 on tame Front Range stuff thus far but there have been some steep switch backs that I handled with no problem...once the suspension and Geo were dialed in.

newie
    Jan 2009
    Frame is here

Build should be complete in a few weeks

rr
    I don't do PC
    Nice!, I really like my stealth black build, she's a looker for sure. I used blue Hope hubs and with the blue accents in the frame it matched well.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Just ordered a white large frame, should be here in a couple of weeks can't wait. I'll keep you all updated with the build.
    Change of heart eh? I bet once you get it dialed you will love it, I honestly can't think of a negative regarding ride quality and handling.

newie
    Jan 2009
    Yep, I have some blue hope hubs incoming, going to build up with some ztr flow hoops and run them tubeless.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Change of heart eh? I bet once you get it dialed you will love it, I honestly can't think of a negative regarding ride quality and handling.
    Couldnt resist, such a great looking bike, it arrived yesterday, started to order some bits up, thinking of a 1x10, would a 34 be to big up front with a 36/11 @ the rear?

I'll post some photos later.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Couldnt resist, such a great looking bike, it arrived yesterday, started to order some bits up, thinking of a 1x10, would a 34 be to big up front with a 36/11 @ the rear?

I'll post some photos later.
    Would be for me, I'm running a 2x10 but I live in the mtns at elevation

Deere Rider
    Fine tuning the shifting.

I have the Transition #2 build kit and have never been happy with the front shifting on the 24-36 upshift with the X9 crankset and Fder. It feels like the chain gets jammed into the 36 ring and sticks instead of popping over the top. I also don't like the way SRAM attaches their left crank arms when compared to Shimano. I think the Shimano method is much more solid.

I had an SLX M665 crankset laying around with 24-36 Shimano rings (which I also think work better than SRAM rings) so I installed it today. I also got to looking at the X9 Fder and there is a bend ("kink") in the inner cage plate that I think is trapping the chain against the chainring, causing some poor performance. As you can see in the pic, I filed the "kink" down to remove the catching point. I also freed the Fder housing from the lower cable attachment on the down tube as this forced the housing into a ridiculous bend around the bottom bracket that required excessive force at the thumb shifter (much, much better now).

Summary from the Shimano rings, filed Fder, and smoother housing bend...much improved front shifting. I no longer dread shifting my Fder!

Moab in two weeks...stay tuned!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails covert 29er-2013-03-01_13-41-27_111-copy.jpg  

covert 29er-2013-03-01_13-49-09_422-copy.jpg  

covert 29er-2013-03-01_13-49-29_1-copy.jpg  

covert 29er-2013-03-01_13-49-52_180-copy.jpg  

mtbr member
    ^ What bash is that?

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    ^ What bash is that?
    Stock bash from the X9 crank. Bike came stock with the 24-38-no bash gears. I ordered the 22-36-bash spider to create a 24-36-bash on the X9 crank. I had a BBG bash on the SLX crank but liked the rounded edges and lower profile of the X9 bash. Now the SLX crank is 24-36-bash. The 24 is from FSA and is offset inboard just a bit (maybe 1mm...better chain line). The 36 is the stock Shimano ring from the M665 crank. The bash is from the X9 spider so the crankset is a bit Frankenstein. By switching cranks I also improved chain line and had to remove a 2.5mm spacer from behind the chain guide to line everything up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Fine tuning the shifting.

Moab in two weeks...stay tuned!
    I'll be in Moab as well that weekend! What are you riding?

rr
    I don't do PC
    Hey if your not gonna use the X9 crank would you be interested in selling the stock spider with 24/38 rings? I have the 26/39 XO crankset and the granny gear is a little too high.

Also curious you said the chainline moved inboard, how's the clearance from the chainrings to the rear shifter housing? Mine is tight as is and I read the 24/38 spider moves the rings inboard, good for the chainline but concerned about the housing getting chewed up.

Deere Rider
    Hey if your not gonna use the X9 crank would you be interested in selling the stock spider with 24/38 rings? I have the 26/39 XO crankset and the granny gear is a little too high.

Also curious you said the chainline moved inboard, how's the clearance from the chainrings to the rear shifter housing? Mine is tight as is and I read the 24/38 spider moves the rings inboard, good for the chainline but concerned about the housing getting chewed up.
    Sorry, the 24 is going on another bike. I have no issue with the housing and chainring as I use a zip-tie through that little hole in the chainstay right behind the Fder.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast