Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: covert 29er

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jmontroy View Post
    I think a 90mm stem is the best place to start. If that doesn't help I'll consider knocking the travel back down, though I wanted to avoid that hassle.
    I'd suggest that you consider going to wider bars to get a bit more weight forward, if at all possible. That or drop the height of the stem. These bikes were not really intended to be ridden with a long stem.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

Deere Rider
    First ride is in the books. Thoughts:

1) Top tube felt fine but I have gravitated toward a more compact and upright position. I would like to try a 70mm stem but at the moment the only stem for the 35mm bar is Easton's 50mm model.

2) Maneuverability was good. Stiffness was fine. Pedal and brake feedback wasn't noticed. The bike really disappeared under me...that's a very good thing. With the CTD shock the bike is firm in the initial travel and plush after that. I felt pedaling response was good and mashing the pedals moves the bike forward rather than compressing the suspension. The bike is incredible on drops. It uses travel generously and feels like landing on a pillow.

3) I still have some work to do on the suspension. Both the fork and shock seem to move through their travel fairly easily. I weigh 230-235 lb with gear and I have the shock at 205 psi which is only 20% sag. If I run over 30% sag it bottoms when I sneeze. Ran in the Trail setting on max firmness. Again, the initial travel is firm but not annoying even at this sag level. I am using RWS needle bearings at both ends so there is no external stiction. Once past that initial firmness you get really smooth travel that eats up anything in your path. I have the fork set at 115 psi. Also ran in Trail setting on max firmness. I was using all travel on the fork and shock. Never felt a "bottom" on the shock...felt it once on the fork. I suspect that at my weight I may need to just ship the bits off to Push which usually does the trick. I will run as-is and play with pressure and such to see how things go.

4) The firmness in the top of the travel makes it easy to make technical power moves. It really gives you something to "push" against to manual and such. I liken it to Yeti's ASR design in that it is firm and then plush once past that first bit...I really like this feature. That firmness probably explains why the pedaling is nicely responsive and doesn't wallow.

Other than having less travel it felt right at home coming from the ASR 7 which is exactly what I was looking for.

I wish the fork was 36mm with a 20mm axle. The current offering is merely adequate.

That's it for now. Should get more time in tomorrow.

Pick a wheel size...
    Wouldn't it be nice if manufacturers actually listened and brought a 36 fork to market for 29ers?!?

I'd throw a 160 w/coil spring and a DHX on my 'Box and get to rippin.

First ride report sounds great. Glad you dig the ride!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico View Post
    These bikes were not really intended to be ridden with a long stem.
    Meh, more hype, my 90 feels just right. Might swap to a shorter stem for shuttle days or lift assist, but for trail riding it's fine.

titusquasi- I agree it pedals nicely but still uses all the travel on drops or jumps. The trail setting on the shock, and the middle setting on the Rev fork, are on the firm side. Open both ends up and it's uber plush and kinda blows thru the travel.

Does the 1/2/3 dial on the shock affect the damping in all three modes or just the climb mode?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    Meh, more hype, my 90 feels just right. Might swap to a shorter stem for shuttle days or lift assist, but for trail riding it's fine.

titusquasi- I agree it pedals nicely but still uses all the travel on drops or jumps. The trail setting on the shock, and the middle setting on the Rev fork, are on the firm side. Open both ends up and it's uber plush and kinda blows thru the travel.

Does the 1/2/3 dial on the shock affect the damping in all three modes or just the climb mode?
    If you're talking about the black dial on the ctd lever its to adjust trail mode.
    "Obviously, you're not a golfer."

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post

So far, one of my favorite attributes is how it makes drops seem smaller than I first anticipated. I keep finding myself looking back saying "that was actually pretty easy." I'm going to get in over my head looking for a bigger rush if I don't keep things in check. My skills are best described as "wheels on the ground" but this bike is making air time quite easy and enjoyable.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Question, when your setting sag, do you have your fork/shock in the trail mode or fully open? I've always set sag with compression settings how I would ride but I'm getting less sag with the fork/shock in the middle settings compared to fully open.

I'm trying for 25% sag on the shock, anymore and it uses the travel too easily it seems

Pick a wheel size...
    I've always set sag in full open, no compression. Not sure if that's the correct method but it seems to feel right.

rr
    I don't do PC
    So I've done a handful of rides and have used the initial settings till the susp broke in some. I felt like the fork was a tad firm and I was using the rear travel too easily so I made some adj's to the settings. Thx for the input above btw

I'm 210 w/o gear and wanted 25% sag for the shock and 20% for the fork. I opened up the compression on both ends to set the sag this time. I bumped the rear psi up to 200 and got the right sag w/gear on, gonna keep the trail adjust dial at 2 for now. On the Rev. fork, I lowered the psi to 125 and changed the low speed comp setting, had it too high so probably why it was feeling firm.

Will see how it feels on the trail, bet it's dialed now.

Pick a wheel size...
    I'm 186-ish all geared up with a full day pack. I used the iRD app Fox has available for Apple devices.

Much to my surprise, it had me at 204psi! I set it up as such and haven't changed it since; I'm very happy with the performance. I told myself, after going through the process, that I would make changes as I saw fit.

When the thought of how a component should be performing is absent from your mind when riding, then you know you've got it right!

mtbr member
    Put a 90mm stem on and put a little more air in the shock. Rode the same loop and man, what a difference! Better balance on the climbs with the same great descending. Now we're talking!

rr
    I don't do PC
    We need some ride pics on this thread, I've been solo so no action shots. My ride yesterday kicked butt tho, the bike is starting to disappear beneath me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Ok I'm a struggler! Just got my Covert built and can't post the pic. But have been reading the posts on suspension set up. Thanks for posting your work, it's definitely helping with setup. Wish Fox had the application for android.
    Sorry new guy can't post pics. however the build is posted on my profile.
    Last edited by DPeper; 01-24-2013 at 11:42 AM. Reason: picture

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DPeper View Post
    Wish Fox had the application for android.
    I thought that they already did.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I called Fox yesterday and was told that it was not out yet. If someone knows where a beta version or anything I would love to have a look at it. Do you have a link?

Deere Rider
    Ok I'm a struggler! Just got my Covert built and can't post the pic. But have been reading the posts on suspension set up. Thanks for posting your work, it's definitely helping with setup. Wish Fox had the application for android.
    Sorry new guy can't post pics. however the build is posted on my profile.
    Yep...good to see where each person weighs and where they have shock settings. I am currently 225 lb nekid (ride at 230-235 lb) and run the shock and fork at 200 and 110 respectively. Both ends in Trail mode on high compression. I am going to try running 205 and 115 with the Trail compression at low or medium.

I probably need to reassess sag now that I've done some riding and see if the suspension has "broken in" thus affecting the sag. I doubt it changed much with the Kashima coating ensuring smooth operation out of the box.

rr
    I don't do PC
    When I was doing a search for setting up the rear susp I found a thread on last years Bandit 29, Transition recommends 25% sag on that bike, or about your body weight in psi in the shock. I imagine this bike is similar, maybe a little less than body weight.

The middle trail settings are nice for smoother sections but kinda firm in the chunky stuff, still need to play with the trail adj dial and the LS comp on the fork to get it feeling just right. Nice to have tho and be able to adj easily depending on the trail your riding.

Deere Rider
    OK. Here's a bit more work on setting the suspension.

Me: 6'3". 225lb birthday suit. XL Covert 29 w/ CTD shock and 34 fork. 800mm bar w/ 50mm stem and I run my saddle in KOPS position. Top of my grips are about 3/4" higher than top of the saddle.

As it turns out, I weigh more in riding gear than I was guessing...235-240lb depending on how much water in the Camelbak. I also remeasured sag and I was off compared to my previous settings.

So...at that ride weight, 210psi in the rear shock gave me 9/16" or 25% sag. Put another way, the air pressure is around 88-89% of my ride weight. Yet another way is to say it is 25-30lb under my ride weight. I would think that the % of a riders weight would be more accurate across a range of riders than just going a certain number below your ride weight.

205psi was about 27% sag and 200psi was around 30% sag. Today I ran the fork and shock in Trail position in the middle compression setting. Tomorrow I will try the same pressures with the low compression setting.

I ran the fork at 115psi or roughly 48-49% of my ride weight. I never bother to set my fork according to a sag %. I always try to match the "feel" to the rear suspension while making sure I use full travel on the biggest hits. At the settings today the front and rear felt very similar.

Additionally, no matter where I was in the 25-30% sag range on the rear shock, I use full travel on bigger hits but have never felt a "bottom". My perception is that I will then fine tune that pressure setting based on how I want the bike to ride. At 30% the rear was a bit lower, softer and tracked the ground on small chatter a bit better. But, the pedal feel wasn't as "snappy"...it was muted a bit. It didn't feel bad, it just wasn't as "sharp". At 25% the feel is a bit "livelier". The bike sits up a bit more and responds to weight shifts with a firmer feel. The pedaling response is a bit more "solid" and feels very nice sprinting out of a corner or grunting up a steep climb. But, you give up a bit of compliance on smaller chatter. I'm not sure if these words are helping, I'm just trying to find adjectives to help convey a subjective observation.

It seems like I read somewhere from one of the Transition guys that the Covert 29 is designed to handle the bigger stuff with composure at a possible slight expense to smaller chatter, especially with an air shock. Is this correct? Anywhoo...I would agree with this and, in my opinion, this is a good thing.

Like I said before, the bike feels a lot like my old ASR 7 in that it is "firm" off the top and then drops into a nice composed stroke on medium to large stuff. Firm does not mean harsh...think "sporty". I really like the feel at 25% sag. There's something to "push against" for fast weight shifts, the bike does not pull into its travel under hard efforts (like some of my past Horst Link bikes), it stays solid under power.

On the geometry front...I am sold on Transitions approach. My position is exagerated a bit with the short stem and wide bars so my setup is "upright" and "compact"...but not to the point that I am uncomfortable. My position is such that seated pedaling, standing sprinting, uphill efforts in and out of the seat, and corner carving are all done in the same small space. I used to have bikes with long top tubes and I felt like a monkey moving all over the place to accomplish this stuff. Now it is a slight weight shift here or there...so simple and enjoyable.

Additionally, the more I ride, the more I enjoy the handling. I am still getting used to how easily the bike moves side to side while carving turns...no perceived big wheel lag, just pop, pop, pop through the "S"-turns. Wheelies, manuals and drops are easy...the front comes up very nicely. The bike climbs steep pitches well. The suspension doesn't sag excessively into its travel and you don't have to shift your weight forward much at all to keep the front down and the rear hooked up. Like I said, it's all done from the same small space hovering right around your saddle.

That's more than enough for now. I realize it's hard to be objective with NBS (New Bike Syndrome) so take what I say with a grain of salt. The bottom line for me is that I my transition from the ASR 7 has been easy and quite enjoyable!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails covert 29er-2013-01-18_14-55-33_70.jpg  

rr
    I don't do PC
    Your bike just looks right, can't even tell it has big wheels

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Ok I've gotten to ride a few times now. And since we have lots of snow on the trails still I'm riding the paved hills however I'm using the time and rides to get the saddle positioned just so and the cockpit arranged as it seems to work differently than my last shimano setup.
    This bike is no slouch in the climbing department. I had some reservations about the climbing as there is so little out about the climbing ability of the bike. The 74 degree seat tube feels like with some adjustment in the saddle you are right in the sweet spot for hammering away and a longer climb. I figured since I liked the rest of the bike I'd be sacrificing in this department, however that is not the case. Its a goat and no you don't have to climb in granny gear all the time I'm running on the big ring up front and three big gears in the back as I'm not super strong climber. This bike could easily be ridden everywhere as a 1x10 by anyone. Pick your front gear wisely or twice but I feel confident in that statement as the bike climbs that well. If you considering getting one and are thinking "how does it climb?" Go for it!

Deere Rider
    Ok I've gotten to ride a few times now. And since we have lots of snow on the trails still I'm riding the paved hills however I'm using the time and rides to get the saddle positioned just so and the cockpit arranged as it seems to work differently than my last shimano setup.
    This bike is no slouch in the climbing department. I had some reservations about the climbing as there is so little out about the climbing ability of the bike. The 74 degree seat tube feels like with some adjustment in the saddle you are right in the sweet spot for hammering away and a longer climb. I figured since I liked the rest of the bike I'd be sacrificing in this department, however that is not the case. Its a goat and no you don't have to climb in granny gear all the time I'm running on the big ring up front and three big gears in the back as I'm not super strong climber. This bike could easily be ridden everywhere as a 1x10 by anyone. Pick your front gear wisely or twice but I feel confident in that statement as the bike climbs that well. If you considering getting one and are thinking "how does it climb?" Go for it!
    I agree on the climbing assessment. I have been very happy with the bike's response whether spinning or stomping out of the saddle. What front rings are you using? I am really liking 24/36 front with 11-36 10spd rear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hi folks,
    is there any rider weight limit on the Bandit 29 or Covert 29 Frame?
    Couldn't find any infos, sorry.

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by B.a.l.r.o.g View Post
    Hi folks,
    Not that I am aware of.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.a.l.r.o.g View Post
    Hi folks,
    I'm not aware of anything, either, though a quick phone call to Transition would be the last word on the subject.

And you even get to speak to a real human being, an American one at that!!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Digging the bike more and more! I have settled on the trail mode with the trail adj set at 1, on the Rev fork I like the middle setting with 3 clicks of LS comp. This gives the right balance of platform for pedaling yet still supple in the rocks.

BTW, the front shifting felt off so I checked out the housing/cable, it was all gunked up already at the BB end. Put a new piece of housing on and used a sealed housing end on that stop, vulnerable spot.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast