Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 326

Thread: covert 29er

  1. #101
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    Quote Originally Posted by GaelP View Post
    What a perfect bike. Gravity dropper, Flow rims, beautiful. Size is L ? Weight ? Do you reach with one rear shock setting to climb and go down well ?

    Hey thx, size is XL. It weighed 33.25lbs on my scale with heavy Maxxis tires, 2.5 DHF and a 2.3 DHR2. I could easily shave a pound with some more trail oriented tires but these things have the best traction and are nice in the snow.

    The rear shock has 3 diff settings-climb/trail/descend, the fork also has 3 settings but not labeled like that. Basically it's firm/medium/soft for both ends, and yeah no remote for that stuff so you just reach down no biggie

  2. #102
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,308
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    with heavy Maxxis tires, 2.5 DHF and a 2.3 DHR2. I could easily shave a pound with some more trail oriented tires but these things have the best traction and are nice in the snow.
    Protos? These haven't landed on shelves yet have they? They're the Duke Nukem of 29er tires.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  3. #103
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Protos? These haven't landed on shelves yet have they? They're the Duke Nukem of 29er tires.
    Yes they are, both are single ply w/exo sidewall and tubeless ready. Hopefully the prod. versions are the same cause these are really nice, if you don't mind the weight- DHF is 1000g's, DHR2 right under 900g's.

    I will probably run some lighter rubber for certain rides but the DHF is so nice traction wise that it might be worth the weight penalty.

  4. #104
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,308
    I don't mind the weight- I see the Hans Dampf as a really nice rugged XC tire... I need something that says "Hulk will smash!"
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  5. #105
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I don't mind the weight- I see the Hans Dampf as a really nice rugged XC tire... I need something that says "Hulk will smash!"
    How much do the HD's weigh? I haven't tried those yet, they are pricey. I would HIGHLY recommend buying a DHF when it comes out, Maxxis needs to get going on that.

  6. #106
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,308
    My TrailStars weighed 888g and 863g, so a burly ~1,000g tire sounds fine. You can get them for less than MSRP now, at least. I think my last pair was $75/each. They really area fantastic all-rounder, but I'd like sidewalls more protective than SnakeSkin.

    It'll come down to what lands first- the Minions or the Black Chili Trail Kings. I'm sure I'll try both eventually, but the order will be determined by availability.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    703
    Seems to me that Transition doesn't really care about the Covert 29.Not alot of press or hype on this bike. Usually they put out a video or something when they put out a new bike.
    Am I wrong?

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5
    Hi guys.

    I've tried a Covert 29" 2 a few days ago. I was a bit disappointed by the climb abilities of the bike. I'm 180 lbs, psi on fork was 90 and on the shock 150. What do you think about these settings ? I've tried also with 110/170 but going downhill the bike was too nervous for me.

  9. #109
    rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,325
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    My TrailStars weighed 888g and 863g, so a burly ~1,000g tire sounds fine. You can get them for less than MSRP now, at least. I think my last pair was $75/each. They really area fantastic all-rounder, but I'd like sidewalls more protective than SnakeSkin.

    It'll come down to what lands first- the Minions or the Black Chili Trail Kings. I'm sure I'll try both eventually, but the order will be determined by availability.
    All of the three MTB wheel diameter HD's were supposed be available in a stouter Super Gravity casing version for 2013. Now I'm hearing that only 26 & 27.5 will feature the SG casing. Dang, more waiting for a tough 29er tire.
    Last edited by 29erchico; 01-12-2013 at 03:26 PM.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

  10. #110
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,308
    I heard a rumor they made some 29er SG HD samples, but only committed to 26 and 27.5 thus far. That would pretty much be my perfect all-rounder - we'll see.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joel RW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by gunt pimp View Post
    Seems to me that Transition doesn't really care about the Covert 29.Not alot of press or hype on this bike. Usually they put out a video or something when they put out a new bike.
    Am I wrong?
    it is a bit sad, i want to know more about the bike
    Pivot mach 6!

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel RW View Post
    it is a bit sad, i want to know more about the bike
    I'm riding Douglas at 4.30 Joel if you want to see how one rides. Let me know

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by GaelP View Post
    Hi guys.

    I've tried a Covert 29" 2 a few days ago. I was a bit disappointed by the climb abilities of the bike. I'm 180 lbs, psi on fork was 90 and on the shock 150. What do you think about these settings ? I've tried also with 110/170 but going downhill the bike was too nervous for me.
    I'm 191 pounds and run 170 in the shock and 80 in the fork and it made the bike so much better than the 160/70 i started off with.

    I do all my climbing in trail mode on the shock and fork and in number 2 on the little black dial. If I'm doing smooth dirt I just leave the fork in trail and put the rear shock in climb mode and I've got no problems doing 30 minute climbs on it. Like any new bike you just have to spend some time getting to know it.

    I got it as my play/AM bike and its perfect for that and will do a few DH races on it aswell.

  14. #114
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,853
    Ricky bobby you have to come ride with us again very soon!!! I want to check out that bike and see if you really did survive that 20ft fall off that cliff last time we rode.

  15. #115
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    I've done a few rides on mine and it's freakin home run in my book. The compact geo and short wheelbase makes it very playful for a long travel 29er, and it climbs nicely given the intended use.

    I'm at 210 and setup the susp with 130psi in the Rev fork and 180 on the shock, the susp feels great. The 3 settings for compression front/rear are a nice feature, with both ends fully open the bike is super plush, too plush almost. I liked the middle settings for some jumps and drops I tried cause I was getting a tad bit of fork dive and using all the travel even tho is was smaller stuff. On a rock garden descent I opened up both ends and it felt like butter, just stayed glued to the trail. Also, the controls on this bike are soooo nice, went with an XO/X9 drivetrain and the new gripshift, XT brakes.

    Arin- will get with you guys soon, you and Jay can both check it out, it's a sweet ride. Yeah I survived that stupid crash and the shoulder if fine.
    Last edited by rr; 01-13-2013 at 10:34 AM.

  16. #116
    Deere Rider
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    715
    OK...over two and a half months after I placed my preorder, I have a Covert 29 built and ready to roll. I should get two rides in this weekend so I will add initial impressions next week.

    Stats:

    Me - 6'3" 225 lb. Just came from a Yeti ASR 7
    Bike - Size XL. Frame wt. 7.95 lb (HS cups pressed in, axle nut installed (no axle), seatpost collar installed). BB height 13.75". Build wt. 33.2 lb (lots of Stans). Right where my last 3 trail bikes have been.
    Build - Transition kit # 2. Changes: Reverb, Easton Havoc 35 bar and stem, Shimano rear axle, LM29 wheels (King-Flow EX), 24/36 front rings, XT cassette, Phenom saddle, 200mm front rotor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails covert 29er-2013-01-18_14-55-33_70.jpg  

    covert 29er-2013-01-18_14-55-50_416.jpg  

    covert 29er-2013-01-18_14-56-26_710.jpg  

    covert 29er-2013-01-18_14-56-56_709.jpg  

    Last edited by titusquasi; 02-10-2013 at 07:07 PM.

  17. #117
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    Dude that looks killer, just got back from a ride on mine and saw your post, enjoy your wkd!

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmontroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    45
    Super nice build, Bro! Just got back from a ride on mine, too

    Still dealing with a floaty front-end, though. You guys think the extra 10mm of fork is changing the geometry that much? Considering a longer stem and/or an angleset to slacken it back out a bit.

    Thoughts?
    "Obviously, you're not a golfer."

  19. #119
    Deere Rider
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by jmontroy View Post
    Super nice build, Bro! Just got back from a ride on mine, too

    Still dealing with a floaty front-end, though. You guys think the extra 10mm of fork is changing the geometry that much? Considering a longer stem and/or an angleset to slacken it back out a bit.

    Thoughts?
    I wouldn't think the front travel would be the issue. It sounds like you just need a bit more weight on the front end. A bit longer stem or dropping your current stem would be a place to start. Outside of that, moving the fork back to 140mm would also help but that's more involved. I'm very particular on my bike setup so I understand wanting to get it just right!

    When does it get "floaty"?

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmontroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    I wouldn't think the front travel would be the issue. It sounds like you just need a bit more weight on the front end. A bit longer stem or dropping your current stem would be a place to start. Outside of that, moving the fork back to 140mm would also help but that's more involved. I'm very particular on my bike setup so I understand wanting to get it just right!

    When does it get "floaty"?
    I agree that I need to get more weight to the front. Longer stem will probably be the first step. It gets floaty on steeps. Particularly on switchbacks where its not only steep but I'm putting a lot of power in after the turn. No problems on the same trails with the Rumblefish.

    Running a 60mm stem now, you think a 90 would do the trick?
    "Obviously, you're not a golfer."

  21. #121
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,308
    Steeps - steep up? Or steep down? I'd say that assuming your cockpit is comfortable, give yourself a few more rides, and really focus on Lee McCormack's mantra of "heavy feet; light hands" and make sure you're keeping your weight centered and moving around as required.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  22. #122
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,308
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    OK...over two and a half months after I placed my preorder, I have a Covert 29 built and ready to roll. I should get two rides in this weekend so I will add initial impressions next week.
    Really nice looking build!
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  23. #123
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,179
    drool.....
    BBW. MS, RD

  24. #124
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    Quote Originally Posted by jmontroy View Post
    I agree that I need to get more weight to the front. Longer stem will probably be the first step. It gets floaty on steeps. Particularly on switchbacks where its not only steep but I'm putting a lot of power in after the turn. No problems on the same trails with the Rumblefish.

    Running a 60mm stem now, you think a 90 would do the trick?
    I really like mine with the 140 Rev, cant imagine wanting more except for pure downhill days or at a bike park. I'm running a 90 stem and it feels perfect, that would no doubt help but lowering the fork might be a good idea too, bike has a pretty slack HA at 140.

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmontroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    I really like mine with the 140 Rev, cant imagine wanting more except for pure downhill days or at a bike park. I'm running a 90 stem and it feels perfect, that would no doubt help but lowering the fork might be a good idea too, bike has a pretty slack HA at 140.
    I think a 90mm stem is the best place to start. If that doesn't help I'll consider knocking the travel back down, though I wanted to avoid that hassle.
    "Obviously, you're not a golfer."

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •