Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 333

Thread: covert 29er

  1. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    703
    anyone else going to build one of these up? lets see some pics.

  2. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmontroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    48
    Ask and ye shall receive!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails covert 29er-img_20121230_180719.jpg  

    covert 29er-img_20121230_180839.jpg  

    covert 29er-img_20121230_181026.jpg  

    covert 29er-img_20121230_180921.jpg  


  3. #78
    Deere Rider
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by jmontroy View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive!
    That's purty! Almost looks like metalic copper in that light. L or XL?

    I'm hoping that I get mine built and a ride report done in the next two weeks.

  4. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmontroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    That's purty! Almost looks like metalic copper in that light. L or XL?

    I'm hoping that I get mine built and a ride report done in the next two weeks.
    Its an XL.

    Took it for a spin around the 'hood and have to say I'm very impressed. I'm coming off a Rumbefish and the difference between the two is pretty obvious. The Covert weighs in about the same (33.25lbs) but feels a lot lighter and more eager to leave the ground, at least when I was jumping off staircases !

  5. #80
    rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by jmontroy View Post
    Its an XL.

    Took it for a spin around the 'hood and have to say I'm very impressed. I'm coming off a Rumbefish and the difference between the two is pretty obvious. The Covert weighs in about the same (33.25lbs) but feels a lot lighter and more eager to leave the ground, at least when I was jumping off staircases !
    You seem to have an extra helping of fork stanchion exposed. Is that fork set at 150mm?
    Last edited by 29erchico; 12-31-2012 at 07:58 AM.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

  6. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmontroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico View Post
    You seem to have an extra helping of fork stanchion exposed. Is that fork set at 150mm?
    Well, I bought it second hand so its possible it got extended prior to my receiving it. Now that I look at it I see what you're saying. If I were to measure the stanchion to check how much would be considered 'usable' travel?

  7. #82
    rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,336
    Quote Originally Posted by jmontroy View Post
    Well, I bought it second hand so its possible it got extended prior to my receiving it. Now that I look at it I see what you're saying. If I were to measure the stanchion to check how much would be considered 'usable' travel?
    I'd just measure the axle to crown length. A F34 29er set at 140mm of squish should have an A-C of right around 553mm. So if yours has about 10mm more than that it has been set at 150mm.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

  8. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by jmontroy View Post
    Its an XL.

    Took it for a spin around the 'hood and have to say I'm very impressed. I'm coming off a Rumbefish and the difference between the two is pretty obvious. The Covert weighs in about the same (33.25lbs) but feels a lot lighter and more eager to leave the ground, at least when I was jumping off staircases !
    I am currently on a Rumblefish and I am thinking about this as my next bike. I would love to here your opinion on how it compares to the Rumblefish once you get a couple rides in.

  9. #84
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    How's the fit feel jmontroy?

    Picking mine up this weekend, gonna be a long week

  10. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmontroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico View Post
    I'd just measure the axle to crown length. A F34 29er set at 140mm of squish should have an A-C of right around 553mm. So if yours has about 10mm more than that it has been set at 150mm.
    Right you are, sir! Measured in at about 565mm, my day is just getting better and better

    Erikrc10:

    I will certainly let you know once I get her out, so far I can tell you that the rf feels way more xc than the c29.

    Rroeder:

    I can only compare the fit to the rf but from that I gathered that the cockpit is a little shorter as well as the seat tube. Neither of which is problem because I was able to replicate the pedaling geometry pretty easily and I wanted the riding position to be a little more AM than xc so I put on a 60mm stem and a Boobar. Once some snow melts I'll go into more depth.

  11. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: enduroXtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    55

    Its funny

    How when i opened this thread people did not belive theres going to be a covert 29. funnier is the fact that in october when i knew 2013 models including the 29 are on their way here to israel i rushed to buy the 2012 model before it runs out...LOVE THE COVERT! in all forms and all wheel sizes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails covert 29er-covert12.jpg  

    covert 29er-editcover.jpg  

    read online books -Publish and read books online for free with publisheep.com

  12. #87
    Deere Rider
    Reputation: titusquasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    Got mine ordered yesterday, gonna be a stealth black build

    Revelation fork, Hope/flow wheels, 2x10 XO drivetrain and XT brakes, saaaweet!

    On the sizing I'm 6'2" w/long torso and arms, hopefully the XL will fit fine. I'm gonna run a 90 stem w/740 bars.
    I am anxious to see the bike in black. You still waiting? My frame should be here next week. It's just another white which isn't very original by the looks of things in this thread!

  13. #88
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    I am anxious to see the bike in black. You still waiting? My frame should be here next week. It's just another white which isn't very original by the looks of things in this thread!
    Supposed to pick it up this weekend, I think it's gettin into the shop today. Might have to hit up Dave for some teaser pics, will post if I get some.

    I really like the white, wanted it myself but none left in stock in XL, the black should look nice tho.

  14. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmontroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    Supposed to pick it up this weekend, I think it's gettin into the shop today. Might have to hit up Dave for some teaser pics, will post if I get some.

    I really like the white, wanted it myself but none left in stock in XL, the black should look nice tho.
    You guys have snow down there? Thinking about a Pueblo Res trip to get my fix...

  15. #90
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    Yeah but trails are ridable here in the Springs, gonna warm up starting tomm so might be a little messy/icy.. I have no clue about the reservoir, you might ask on the FR forum about cond's.

    I'm hoping to do an easy shakedown ride Sun

  16. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    6

    So ???

    So guy someone can give me some first impressions ?

    How is the bike ? I've got now the Stumpjumper FSR 29er, but this Covert seems like a fantastic bike.

  17. #92
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415

    Teaser pic

    Still need to install my cockpit comp's and tires but you get the idea, it's looks pretty damn nice.

    More pics to follow after I pick her up

  18. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by enduroXtreme View Post
    How when i opened this thread people did not belive theres going to be a covert 29. funnier is the fact that in october when i knew 2013 models including the 29 are on their way here to israel i rushed to buy the 2012 model before it runs out...LOVE THE COVERT! in all forms and all wheel sizes
    Don't think this bike belongs

  19. #94
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415

    Shakedown ride and a couple pics

    Picked her up and got her dirty this weekend, happy camper!

    This bike is exactly what I was looking for, little more travel and slacker angles, good fit w/ neutral position on the bike. Even with the added travel and slacker head angle the wheelbase came in under my older model Sultan. Nice stiff chassis, descending felt like butter and even techy climbing is easier, love it.

    Didn't do much w/the susp so still need to dial it in, set sag, rebound halfway. Both ends have 3 settings for the compression as well, I played with them and nice feature to have.

    Dave at Redstone Cyclery took care of me, thx Dave!

  20. #95
    Pick a wheel size...
    Reputation: jimithng23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    457
    rroeder... I'm running the same fork/shock setup on my Lunchbox. I used Foxs IRD app for the iPhone to dial the rear shock in...it's like butter. I'm really impressed with the Revelation as well.

    Sexy frame you have there. Can't believe I'm lusting over another long-travel 29er when I've got a custom-made-in-the-USA sitting in the garage...but I can't help myself!

  21. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmontroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    48

    First ride report: Denver edition

    Location: Green Mountain 1 hr loop (Hayden to Rooney Valley)

    First, the not awesome. Amazingly enough this bike does not make hauling my fat ass up mountains any less painful. Bummer. Aside from that revelation the ascending was pretty standard. The one issue was keeping the front end down for steep segments, probably just need to adjust to the shorter stem and additional travel, no biggie.

    Second, the awesome. This bike does not make climbing any more painful, so that's good. The descending is ridiculous. The slack ht makes me just lean back and floor it. So fun. I tried to keep it some what reined in on account of testing the waters with both the bike and the rubber, but even so I managed to tie my personal top speed for the descent.

    Overall I'm pumped. Once I get everything dialed in and put some hours in she should be a force to be reckoned with!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails covert 29er-2013-01-06-14.33.44.jpg  


  22. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    95
    @rroeder : nice bike
    i love the black/silver X.O crank. what chainrings do you have?

  23. #98
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    Quote Originally Posted by flowbike View Post
    @rroeder : nice bike
    i love the black/silver X.O crank. what chainrings do you have?
    Thx, they are 26/39, actually wanted lower gearing but will go with this for now. I think a 24/36 combo would be ideal for our terrain here.

    jmontroy- nice ride review lol, yeah mine's no featherweight either. I noticed right off the front end stays planted better while climbing compared to my Sultan, think it's the shorter top tube and more neutral position on bike. Aside from the little extra weight, I think this bike is gonna climb better. Hey I had a question about your frame, sent ya PM.
    Last edited by rr; 01-07-2013 at 08:26 AM.

  24. #99
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,415
    Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    rroeder... I'm running the same fork/shock setup on my Lunchbox. I used Foxs IRD app for the iPhone to dial the rear shock in...it's like butter. I'm really impressed with the Revelation as well.

    Sexy frame you have there. Can't believe I'm lusting over another long-travel 29er when I've got a custom-made-in-the-USA sitting in the garage...but I can't help myself!
    Good to hear on the susp, I tell ya for just spending 10 mins setting sag and rebound it felt really good, I think I'm gonna leave it where it is for now. I used the trail setting on the shock and the middle setting on the fork mostly, but also opened both ends up for some of the chunkier stuff and descents, def felt a diff.

  25. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    Picked her up and got her dirty this weekend, happy camper!

    This bike is exactly what I was looking for, little more travel and slacker angles, good fit w/ neutral position on the bike. Even with the added travel and slacker head angle the wheelbase came in under my older model Sultan. Nice stiff chassis, descending felt like butter and even techy climbing is easier, love it.

    Didn't do much w/the susp so still need to dial it in, set sag, rebound halfway. Both ends have 3 settings for the compression as well, I played with them and nice feature to have.

    Dave at Redstone Cyclery took care of me, thx Dave!
    What a perfect bike. Gravity dropper, Flow rims, beautiful. Size is L ? Weight ? Do you reach with one rear shock setting to climb and go down well ?


Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •