Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: covert 29er

rr
    I don't do PC
    Nice!, was hoping to see an XL built up so pls post some pics

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico View Post
    My XL Covert 29 frame in Amber Ale is on it's way to me at the moment.
    Ditto. XL in white w/ build kit #2 and a Reverb. Got the tracking number today and it should be here next Thursday. It's going to be a looooooong week.

rr
    I don't do PC
    pics dammit!

mtbr member
    Got my XL yesterday, should have her built up in a week or so.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Those who have ordered the XL, how tall are you? How's the fit?

Is the bike light enough to pedal all day?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by stalks View Post
    Those who have ordered the XL, how tall are you? How's the fit?

Is the bike light enough to pedal all day?

I am 6'3". I will chime in with ride reports and fit comments when I get the bike built. Had a bit of a setback but I hope to have it rolling by the end of the year. At 225 lb I consider low 30s to be perfectly acceptable for a trail bike that I'm going to abuse at Moab every year. And yes, I will be pedaling this thing all day on those trips!

I have modified my riding position in the last few months to a much more upright position that engages the muscles around the hip to a much greater degree than the traditional slouched back. I love the results. This position has been much more friendly to short stems and wide bars and has made me realize I no longer like the long top tubes of my past.

This is why I chose the Covert 29. I will be running a Havoc 35 at 800mm with Easton's 50mm stem. I have broad shoulders and now run a 750mm bar and 65mm stem on my XC bike with wonderful results. This is a huge departure from how I used to set up a bike...I'm pretty excited to see how things fit. Stay tuned...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    I am 6'3". I will chime in with ride reports and fit comments when I get the bike built. Had a bit of a setback but I hope to have it rolling by the end of the year. At 225 lb I consider low 30s to be perfectly acceptable for a trail bike that I'm going to abuse at Moab every year. And yes, I will be pedaling this thing all day on those trips!

I have modified my riding position in the last few months to a much more upright position that engages the muscles around the hip to a much greater degree than the traditional slouched back. I love the results. This position has been much more friendly to short stems and wide bars and has made me realize I no longer like the long top tubes of my past.

This is why I chose the Covert 29. I will be running a Havoc 35 at 800mm with Easton's 50mm stem. I have broad shoulders and now run a 750mm bar and 65mm stem on my XC bike with wonderful results. This is a huge departure from how I used to set up a bike...I'm pretty excited to see how things fit. Stay tuned...
    Cheers,

I look forward to a ride report.

I'm 6'4 and just can't seem to get past the idea of a short top tube. The frame is pretty much the same size as the bike I'm replacing, which is a large and too small for me.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Got mine ordered yesterday, gonna be a stealth black build

Revelation fork, Hope/flow wheels, 2x10 XO drivetrain and XT brakes, saaaweet!

On the sizing I'm 6'2" w/long torso and arms, hopefully the XL will fit fine. I'm gonna run a 90 stem w/740 bars.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'4". I would have to run a 90mm stem to replicate my position on my previous rig (xl rumble fish) but, like titusquasi, I'm opting for a slightly more am set-up on the covert. 60mm stem and a Boobar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Look what I just picked up from the bike shop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails covert 29er-c1.jpg  

covert 29er-c2.jpg  

covert 29er-c3.jpg  

covert 29er-c4.jpg  

covert 29er-c5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Now I just need to transplant everything from this....

Can't wait!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails covert 29er-b2.jpg  

rr
    I don't do PC
    looks killer, it that an XL?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yep, it's an XL, just like the Bandit 29 above. I'm 6' 4" tall and a 70mm stem worked great for me.

mtbr member
    Sweet! Now your fork will match... ;-)

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Love the blue accents...I look forward to seeing it built.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Blue accents..... Of course I had to buy new headset, bottom bracket, caliper adapters, bar and stem in blue to match

Should look good with the white frame and forks. I'm hoping to get the build done over the weekend....

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Covert 29 pics

Ok, couldn't wait until the weekend! Nearly done, just the chain to fit, gears to setup, chainstay and cable-rub protection, then suspension setup. Pics came out a little dark, looks much better in the flesh...

Compared to my 2012 Bandit 29, the Covert looks low and fast. Seat tube is shorter (510mm vs 540mm), but reach is a tiny bit longer (about 3mm, but that's relative to the nose of the saddle). Routing for the rear mech cable is cleaner. Feels like a totally different beast....given how much I love the Bandit, the Covert looks ready to rock my socks

The real kicker is that I'm probably not going to get to ride until after Christmas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails covert 29er-covf1.jpg  

covert 29er-covf2.jpg  

covert 29er-covf4.jpg  

beater
    Nice. I like the blue accents.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Wow looks great

mtbr member
    Very Nice! I'm in the same boat with the riding. Get my wheels tomorrow then if off to the in-laws for a week. Torture! The only consolation is that maybe the snow will be melted by then.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Done!

Thanks guys!

Finished the build tonight. Quick blast around the indoor car park (it's gnarly, bro) shows that Transition have produced another winner

Initial impressions... Noticeably stiffer than the 2012 Bandit 29 and that slacker head angle makes quite a difference. Didn't play with the CTD shock too much, but should be easy enough to set up on the trail. Knowing how fast, and how much fun, the Bandit is downhill, the Covert feels like it's going to step up another level.

Makes me wish it would stop raining here!!! Might have to sneak in a cheeky ride, don't think I'll be able to leave it alone....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails covert 29er-done5.jpg  

covert 29er-done3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks awesome! What chain guide are you using? How many (if any) spacers are you using for the BB?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks! The chainguide is a Blackspire Stinger, works a treat. No spacers on the bottom bracket, but had to use a few mm more (over the Bandit) on the axle to get it running free with no play.

Forgot to say, digital bathroom scales put the weight at 33.2lb, which is 0.6lb more than the Bandit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NickyTee View Post
    Thanks guys!

Finished the build tonight. Quick blast around the indoor car park (it's gnarly, bro) shows that Transition have produced another winner

Initial impressions... Noticeably stiffer than the 2012 Bandit 29 and that slacker head angle makes quite a difference. Didn't play with the CTD shock too much, but should be easy enough to set up on the trail. Knowing how fast, and how much fun, the Bandit is downhill, the Covert feels like it's going to step up another level.

Makes me wish it would stop raining here!!! Might have to sneak in a cheeky ride, don't think I'll be able to leave it alone....
    i just creamed my pants... wow! my dreambike was the carbon 26 covert. this is making me think now =) Beautifully done man!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyHuynh View Post
    i just creamed my pants... wow! my dreambike was the carbon 26 covert. this is making me think now =) Beautifully done man!
    Heheh! Thanks mate

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast