Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: covert 29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    Looking for a complete bike? Belmont Wheelworks (MA) had a Large/Black on their sales floor this weekend. I'm not sure if they had other sizes or bikes. No frames however.
    Dang... I need an XL as I am 6'4". I wonder if a Large would work. Thanks for the advice. I'll call them tomorrow and have a chat. Really appreciate it. Think they would trade for a 2013 bandit 29er that I just pre ordered in an XL ha ha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmountainskiercfg View Post
    Dang... I need an XL as I am 6'4". I wonder if a Large would work. Thanks for the advice. I'll call them tomorrow and have a chat. Really appreciate it. Think they would trade for a 2013 bandit 29er that I just pre ordered in an XL ha ha
    Hey, I'm just a tad shorter than you and have an XL bandit, I have modified the sizing so much with stem and bar combos that I should of just bought a large.

My next bike will be a large.
    Pivot mach 6!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmountainskiercfg View Post
    Yeah... I've seen a few and called them. They are gone though.
    And we have medium 2012 in stock in our warehouse, so as long as you need that size, any dealer can special order.

Sorry on the L and XL... no dice there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gunt pimp View Post
    C'MON MAN! There is no need for a Covert 29er. IF you want to talk carbon I will listen.
    Hahaha! This isn't the 1st time I have been wrong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    From the 2013 Bandit thread, in case anyone didn't see it, some numbers for the Covert-

2013 Transition Bikes Bandit and Covert 29er | 29er Online

The XL is looking kinda cramped in the cockpit, def interested but not sure about fit, like everything else tho.
    I noticed that two however if I am reading this right it is only .3 " shorter than the Bandit in EFT. I like to run 50 - 60 mm stems so I'm worried about being cramped as well.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    I noticed that two however if I am reading this right it is only .3 " shorter than the Bandit in EFT. I like to run 50 - 60 mm stems so I'm worried about being cramped as well.
    I emailed Transition to confirm sizing and ask a few questions, I think with the actual angle of the seattube it will make things roomy enough with the saddle at full height. That said wish they would of made it a tad longer, but I'm gonna try the 90mm stem I currently run and go from 28" to 30" bars.

Yeah the bike is exactly what I want and I have demo'd a few w/24.5 ett that fit so didn't want .3" to stop me, hopefully I'm right!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I emailed Transition to confirm sizing and ask a few questions, I think with the actual angle of the seattube it will make things roomy enough with the saddle at full height. That said wish they would of made it a tad longer, but I'm gonna try the 90mm stem I currently run and go from 28" to 30" bars.

Yeah the bike is exactly what I want and I have demo'd a few w/24.5 ett that fit so didn't want .3" to stop me, hopefully I'm right!
    Cool thanks. Please share their response if you can.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Yes - those TT lengths are the "measurable" distance from the center of the headtube horizontal to the center of the seatpost. With any bike that has an offset seat tube, the TT length is going to look shorter. Look at the reach on the Covert 29 in that link and compare to the reach on the Bandit 29 (2012) listed on our website... that would be the real length difference between the two bikes.

Saddle position can be adjusted +/- 1/2" very easily, so don't sweat 0.3" in TT length without considering all the other geo numbers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Yes - those TT lengths are the "measurable" distance from the center of the headtube horizontal to the center of the seatpost. With any bike that has an offset seat tube, the TT length is going to look shorter. Look at the reach on the Covert 29 in that link and compare to the reach on the Bandit 29 (2012) listed on our website... that would be the real length difference between the two bikes.

Saddle position can be adjusted +/- 1/2" very easily, so don't sweat 0.3" in TT length without considering all the other geo numbers.
    Thanks. That makes more sense now. Have their been any ride reviews yet of this bike. I know the Bandit 29 was great last year, but I haven't seen anything on the Covert 29 yet.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    . Look at the reach on the Covert 29 in that link and compare to the reach on the Bandit 29 (2012) listed on our website... that would be the real length difference between the two bikes.
    It's within a few mm's, and the seattube angle is a tad slacker on the Covert too, so it sounds like the 2012 Bandit 29 in XL will fit the same as the Covert 29 XL correct? If so, then I could try to track down an XL bandit just to throw a leg over to check for fit, that would help at least.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Thanks. That makes more sense now. Have their been any ride reviews yet of this bike. I know the Bandit 29 was great last year, but I haven't seen anything on the Covert 29 yet.
    These are new for 2013 so they haven't been made yet, as far as I know

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    It's within a few mm's, and the seattube angle is a tad slacker on the Covert too, so it sounds like the 2012 Bandit 29 in XL will fit the same as the Covert 29 XL correct? If so, then I could try to track down an XL bandit just to throw a leg over to check for fit, that would help at least.
    Yes - we matched up the frame reach very closely between those two bikes (and lengthened the Bandit 29 a bit for 2013).

So if you threw a leg over an XL Bandit 29 from 2012 it would be a very close comparison for the rider cockpit with a 2013 Covert 29.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel RW View Post
    Hey, I'm just a tad shorter than you and have an XL bandit, I have modified the sizing so much with stem and bar combos that I should of just bought a large.

My next bike will be a large.
    wanna sell your XL ha ha

ride
    These are new for 2013 so they haven't been made yet, as far as I know
    Yo rroeder - I've got a local big guy on an XL. I bet we could arrange a ride on it for you. He was on a large Tracer 29 prior and is loving his XL Bandit 29.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    Yo rroeder - I've got a local big guy on an XL. I bet we could arrange a ride on it for you. He was on a large Tracer 29 prior and is loving his XL Bandit 29.
    Thx Dave, will get with you on that

Deere Rider
    Cue Jeopardy theme song... When is the Covert 29 going to show up? I called Drop N Zone last month and I thought they said soon...can't remember. I was hoping for some quick reviews so I can make a purchase decision. This is killing me... If anybody has been on the bike or has one in hand, please, help me out! Pics, ride report, anything. I've read through the Bandit 29 stuff a million times and if this bike is going to ride similar to the 2012 B29 with a bit more travel... I need to just turn the computer off for a month.

Deere Rider
    Oops...called the sponsoring bike shop and found out the Covert 29s should be showing up anytime. Soooooo...with the preorder discount they were offering, I pulled the trigger. #2 build kit XL in white with a Reverb and Haven wheelset upgrade. Oh man, I need to start selling unnecessary stuff fast.

I was originally looking at just a frame, fork, and wheels with my carryover parts. Then I did the math and by the time I bought all the stuff you don't think about (tires, f. der., head set, cables, etc...) I was within a couple hundred dollars of the complete build with that preorder discount! Talk about a no brainer.

For anyone interested, I am 6'3" and have been eyeing the Bandit 29 and recently the Covert 29 in XL for a year now. I have some concerns about the compact top tube and reach, but enough research has given me the confidence to jump in.

I will be in touch when the bike shows up and I get some saddle time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm looking at the Covert 29 and Bandit 29. What swayed you the direction of the Covert?

More DH?

Deere Rider
    I'm looking at the Covert 29 and Bandit 29. What swayed you the direction of the Covert?

More DH?
    Nah...I just like long travel in my trail bikes. I'm coming from a 26" Yeti ASR 7 with 7" rear travel as my trail bike. I realize that the 29" wheel eats up rough terrain much easier than a 26" (also have a Giant Anthem X29) but when you are landing drops and hitting the really rough stuff, there's no substitute for wheel travel. 4" is 4" no matter the wheel size...it's still going to be a stiff landing on that 4' drop to flat. I like to be lazy and sit in my seat as long as possible while the bike plows through a boulder field.

I ride rough terrain regularly but the real goal with this bike is a Porcupine Rim killer! I go with a group every year to Fruita and Moab and suspension travel is well appreciated.

I had set 140mm front and rear as my minimum for a 29er trail bike for the above reasons. I really liked what I heard about last year's Bandit 29 but I wanted that last bit of travel. Cue the new Covert 29. Thanks, Transition!

I can't wait for Moab in March...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for the detail TQ. I would be in the same boat as you. I want to be able to ride this one in all situations and then go to the bike park so my DH buddies can make fun of me for being on wagon wheels riding lifts. haha!

I'm with stupid
    When someone gets one of these let me know how the fit of the cockpit is. The 23.2 ETT of the large is scaring me off of what I think could be the perfect all around trail bike.

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    When someone gets one of these let me know how the fit of the cockpit is. The 23.2 ETT of the large is scaring me off of what I think could be the perfect all around trail bike.
    Will do. Sounds like it will be about a month from now before I might have an analysis. I have always been on long top tubes but have been changing some things up with how I position myself on the bike and I'm seeing some good results. This is leading me to realize I need to shorten my reach on the bike to optimize power delivery and bike control.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    That is the measurable horizontal distance from HT to seatpost, the bike will ride a bit longer than that, since the seat tube is offset forward and angled back.

An "effective top tube length" would depend on what seat tube angle you chose to measure to and the higher the seat the slacker the effective seat tube angle would be.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Any updates or spy photos of frames in production Transition??
    Last edited by rr; 12-13-2012 at 08:11 AM.

rider
    Jan 2005
    My XL Covert 29 frame in Amber Ale is on it's way to me at the moment.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast