Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14

Thread: covert 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Loving the bike, fast agile and surprisingly easy to pedal. I'm finding that it's making me a much better rider. Hit the park last night and was doing jumps in the trails that normally I just roll.

sent from my non apple product

mtbr member
    Took the Tranny out with the new CCDBA CS and Pike DP 150mm yesterday. Rode Centennial Cone (technically easy, but long) and it was basically a new bike. Small bumps were gone. In fact, the small little square-edged rocks that would've hung me up before were rolled right over. I had to check my rear wheel air-pressure because the sensation was akin to riding with not enough air.

Both shocks also feel much, much more progressive than the Fox's.

When it came to climbing it was another big win. Switch the CS on and drop the fork to 120mm and it's a XC bike!

Seriously, transformational!!!
    "Obviously, you're not a golfer."

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

connisseur
    I always felt the susp was well balanced with the Revelation 140 I had on the bike before, but since I put the Pike on the rear susp has felt a little overwhelmed at times. I thought maybe I still needed to dial in the fork to match the rear but now I think it's due to the Pike being more progressive. Might need to have the rear shock tuned to match the Pike??

mtbr member
    Here are a few pics of the latest (and hopefully final) build. She tips the scales at a portly 34.5 lbs, but it's a small price to pay for a bomb-proof rig.

covert 29er-photo-1.jpgcovert 29er-photo-2.jpgcovert 29er-photo-3.jpgcovert 29er-photo-4.jpgcovert 29er-photo-5.jpg
    "Obviously, you're not a golfer."

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    Covert 29 owners - how are you liking the bike?

What bike did you more from?

How does it climb? Is it really a good do it all bike? Trail and light park riding?
    I love my Covert 29, especially (only?) with the Pike 150. Mine is pictured above. Never mind the downhill performance, which is way above average - I'm simply amazed at how well this bike climbs. No fancy, schmancy suspension design, weighs a good 32 lbs, yet it climbs like an XC bike (no lie. I'm not prone to hyperbole.) It feels a bit "long" at times (that's what she said) when the going gets tight and twisty, but since the trails locally are more of the wide open, go-as-fast-as-you-dare, try to break 35 mph sort, the Covert is awesome.

Similar bikes I had previously were the Bandit 29 (1st generation) and a RIP 9 (third generation, 2012 model.) The Bandit was always felt just a bit too big (XL frame; I'm a shade over 6' tall) and the RIP never felt "right." The Bandit also had a lower BB, which resulted in more than a few pedal strikes. The Covert just feels "right" for a 29'er with 140mm of travel. I also ride a second generation Jet 9 RDO on a regular basis, and I'd say that the Covert 29, while a totally different kind of bike, is every bit its equal in the fun department at a FAR lower price point.

connisseur
    jmontroy- so you had the fox shock tuned and still didn't like it?, what didn't you like about it?? I'm trying to decide if I should get the mine tuned or try something diff like a Rock shox Monarch to match the Pike.

This bike is a ton of fun I agree, best full travel play bike I've owned.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
    jmontroy- so you had the fox shock tuned and still didn't like it?, what didn't you like about it?? I'm trying to decide if I should get the mine tuned or try something diff like a Rock shox Monarch to match the Pike.

This bike is a ton of fun I agree, best full travel play bike I've owned.
    Take a look at the SSD upgrade from Avalanche racing for that CTD. It will make that rear shock sing. I had the CTD from my Bandit done and it was awesome. The CTD on my Covert 29 is off to Craig in a few days for the mod.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14