Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: covert 29er

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    I want a Covert 29 or prime, and I expect the bike to under perform on the uphill, but this compromise should provide for faster and more stable rides downhill.
    FWIW, the Covert 29 is the best climbing FS frame I've ever owned. (That would number about 12 - 15 frames, both 26" and 29".) I have no problem with it "underperforming" on any climb.

unrooted
    Earthpig, what's your take on people blowing through travel?

I sure like the way the covert looks, much nicer than the prime IMO.

are they doing a carbon 29? Or just a 26?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thought I'd post a pic of my new ride. I bought this to replace an Intense tracer 29 that cracked on the seat tube. Having spent a lot of cash on parts, I looked for a frame that I could transfer them onto with the least incompatibility. The Transition Covert 29 came out as a good option so a quick search followed and the reviews of Transition as a company and the 26inch covert had me sold. Next day, I had a large on its way.
    I've only had one ride so far and some minor adjustments are required to the stem height and shock but it seemed like a decent climber with less pedal bob than I anticipated for a single pivot design. covert 29er-image.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails covert 29er-image.jpg  

covert 29er-image.jpg  

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I didn't have any problems blowing through travel, but before I stole the components off my Covert for another build, my problem was that the back end felt too stiff. I have all the parts to rebuild it except the 150mm Pike and a front tire. It's not really riding season around here (trails are a goopy, muddy mess of desert clay that turns to concrete when it dries - and riding them is a no-no), but I can't wait to get the thing rebuilt and rideable.

unrooted
    Thanks Earthpig, but I ended up getting a Banshee Prime, partly due to cost ($1,570 shipped w/CC DBair) and mostly due to the longer top tube. I rode a transition trans am 29 for a few months and always felt like I was way too far forward for my liking due to the short top tube.

I still think the covert 29 is gorgeous though!
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    Thanks Earthpig, but I ended up getting a Banshee Prime, partly due to cost ($1,570 shipped w/CC DBair) and mostly due to the longer top tube. I rode a transition trans am 29 for a few months and always felt like I was way too far forward for my liking due to the short top tube.

I still think the covert 29 is gorgeous though!
    Can't go wrong with a Banshee - the frame I moved my components over to from my C29 is a Banshee Paradox! (Which I love, and which will remain in my stable even after the Covert is rebuilt.)

connisseur
    Recently put a Pike 150 on mine, no complaints from me this bike is dialed now!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails covert 29er-piked.jpg  

Last edited by Tickle; 02-18-2014 at 11:25 AM.

Cracker

If it ever stops snowing

Just got this to replace my Bandit 29
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails covert 29er-20140219_073215_richtone-hdr-.jpg  

It might get a little steep from here

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    This is my latest play toy, built up from a 26" enduro with 160mm pikes and Carbon Wheels, She's light, fast and very agile.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
    Recently put a Pike 150 on mine, no complaints from me this bike is dialed now!
    Nice looking bike. How does it handle with the 150 as opposed to a 140 fork? My C29 is currently being built up with that same fork.

connisseur
    Thx, not the best pic, the stealth black with blue highlights looks sharp in person tho

Handling wise it feels about the same, not sure how much taller the Pike is compared to the Revelation but it slackened the HA 1/2 degree or so probably. What I noticed most was the stiffness thru the chunky stuff. I always thought the Rev was plenty stiff but I can feel a diff with the Pike, not huge but noticable in certain cond's.

The other thing I noticed is the fork feels plusher at the top of the stroke while more progressive farther into the travel. The fork seems to ride higher in the travel overall which is good thing. I've only done a handful of rides on the Pike with winter and all so still dialing it in but it's a better fork for this bike for sure. Glad I choose the 150 version too as the 160 would of been too much for trail riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    the Pike 150 is awesome on this Bike, and the Covert is awesome too
    the more i ride, the more i like it. It's so versatile!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm taking mine to a uplift day Friday to try out the 160mm pikes, handles so well, it's converting a lot of 26" nay sayers

sent from my non apple product

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
    Thx, not the best pic, the stealth black with blue highlights looks sharp in person tho

Handling wise it feels about the same, not sure how much taller the Pike is compared to the Revelation but it slackened the HA 1/2 degree or so probably. What I noticed most was the stiffness thru the chunky stuff. I always thought the Rev was plenty stiff but I can feel a diff with the Pike, not huge but noticable in certain cond's.

The other thing I noticed is the fork feels plusher at the top of the stroke while more progressive farther into the travel. The fork seems to ride higher in the travel overall which is good thing. I've only done a handful of rides on the Pike with winter and all so still dialing it in but it's a better fork for this bike for sure. Glad I choose the 150 version too as the 160 would of been too much for trail riding.
    I have the same color frame, so I'm partial to the gunmetal gray and blue.

I've read that the 150mm Pike is about 561mm from axle to crown, which would definitely result in a half degree slackened head and seat angle. I'm going from a 548mm Reba with 140mm of travel, which I think is about the same as the Revelation (maybe slightly shorter.) When I first built the bike last year, I thought about a half degree slacker angles would be nice for a bike of this type. I've read nothing but good things about the Pike so far - it seems to be the "hot component" for the Enduro/All Mountain/Whatever category. I agree that 160 would be too much fork. Did you go with the 51mm offset or the "regular" offset?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Regular offset as there was no choice, and even then I had to wait 3 months for them to arrive!

connisseur
    Yeah I got the regular offset as well, I talked with my shop about that when I bought the fork. Since I liked the handling with the Rev and the 150 pike was close it made more sense. They did say the 51 offset would of been a good option if I went with the 160 travel tho, guess the handling might benefit with the slacker HA? Lots of E speculation there I think.

Another reason I went with the 150 was I didn't want to increase the wheelbase, I measured it before and after and it's damn close.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I think too much is made of minute differences. 20mm on travel which isn't even a full 20mm once sag is taken into consideration. Head angle I think is @ most 1 degree different. And as such the wheel base will be minutely increased.
    The other reason I went for 160's is future proofing as I tend to change frames quite often. If they end up doing a carbon version for instance ill certainty consider.

connisseur
    I could feel a slight diff when I first rode the Pike, a full degree slacker is definitely noticable. If I had gone with the 160 and 51 offset option it would of increased the wheelbase an inch I bet, that's not minute in my opinion. One of the reasons I went with the Covert is the tight wheelbase, a good inch shorter than other XL size bikes in this category, makes for a more agile ride and not feel like a DH sled

BTW, you can buy diff air spring shafts for the Pike to change the travel, I heard $40 I think. I might get a 160 air spring when I go to the bike park this season.

Cracker
    I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a 150mm Pike for mine but not sure about what offset to get . I called Transition and they said 51mm why did you guys go with the 46mm?
    It might get a little steep from here

connisseur
    Mine handles fine with the 46 offset but I guess the 51 might make for slightly quicker steering? I went with the standard offset cause that's what my Revelation had and I liked the handling with that fork, wanted to keep things the same I guess.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I got in the first ride yesterday with the 150 Pike (standard offset) plus a new XT drivetrain, new XT brakes, new bar, new carbon wheelset, etc... Bottom line - I think this frame was absolutely MADE for the 150mm Pike. Noticeable improvement in fit, handling, and stability over the 140mm Reba. No more "over the bars" or "too far forward" feeling on the bike. No back pain. Handling/stability went from slightly twitchy and unpredictable to spot on. If'n I were Transition, I'd think about using this fork as an option in a stock build. The change from 140mm to 150 on the front end took a solid 4 star bike to a 5 star bike.

Would the 51mm offset be more helpful? I don't know and I don't care. Maybe if your riding featured a ton of super twisty tight switchbacks. However, I was able to set a new PR on a downhill section yesterday that features...twisty, tight, narrow singletrack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails covert 29er-covert14.jpg  

connisseur
    Nice build!, but maybe your not giving enough credit to the high tech "cock & balls" susp

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I like that build ^^^^

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Covert 29 owners - how are you liking the bike?

What bike did you more from?

How does it climb? Is it really a good do it all bike? Trail and light park riding?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    Covert 29 owners - how are you liking the bike?

What bike did you more from?

How does it climb? Is it really a good do it all bike? Trail and light park riding?
    Second season in and I'm still happy with the bike, less so with the Fox squishy bits. Never liked the action of either the fork (Float 34 140mm) or the stock shock, which I had Push'd last season.

Happily, this weekend will be my last on Fox as my CCDBA CS and 150mm Dual Position Pike arrive!

Ride report to come....
    "Obviously, you're not a golfer."

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast