rr
    I don't do PC

Covert 29 drivetrain question

Hey I had a question about my crankset/shifter combo. I was running an XO double crankset w/XO 2x Gripshift before and everything shifted fine up front. I ended up swapping the crankset to another bike so I decided to use an old XT crankset for the Covert, it's setup with 24/38 rings. My shop got me a 3x Gripshift for the front cause he said it needed it with the spacing on the XT. The front der is an XO double and I'm running an MRP 2x chainguide.

Problem is I can't get the thing to shift right to the big ring, it wants to shift off to the outside. The der is positioned and adjusted right, if I dial in the high limit screw anymore the shifter does'nt click into gear and the chain drops back to the granny. I'm wondering if I need the 2x front shifter instead??

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Which model XT crank are you using?

rr
    I don't do PC
    It's a 2008 XT crank(triple), setup with new 24/38 e13 rings. I ran this crank on a previous bike setup with 22/34 rings and an older Gripshift and shifting was flawless. I'm pretty sure there's something going on with the spacing between the rings and shifter. The new Gripshifts are either 2x or 3x, no micro adjust like before.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The 2x front shifter would be spaced wrong for your XT crank, since it was originally a triple. I dunno much about the Gripshifts, but I never had a problem pairing SRAM 3x triggers with a Shimano triple crank in the past. Since your new 3x Gripshift does nothave micro adjust, how about installing an inline barrel adjuster somewhere on the cable?

rr
    I don't do PC
    Well after talking with Dave at Redstone I have a previous version shifter coming with the micro adjust, so well see. Btw Redstone cyclery kicks arse!, he sent me out the shifter no charge since the 3x didn't work, awesome customer service.

My synopsis- the 3x shifter was designed to work with a crankset with 3 rings so there is another ring there to prevent the chain from shifting off to the outside, same thing when you run a bashguard. With my setup there is no ring, or bash cause I have the MRP w/skidguard.

I didn't intentionally mix and match this smorgasbord of parts!