mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Covert 2012 - some questions

Hey,

I'm currently looking into getting a Transition Covert. I can get my hands on a rather cheap one and I'm planning to use the parts of my old bike. However, I have some questions and I hope you guys can help me out:

1) I want to use my Fox Talas with this bike and I'm looking for a headset. It's a 150 mm fork and I'm planning to get a 160mm sooner or later. Would your overall advice would be to not get a semi integrated headset, so the front would not get too low? In any way, what headset would you recommend (this would help me tremendously since I'm a super noob when it comes to headsets). Would the FSA Gravity DX be good enought for a start? Then - the tube of my fork is appr. 280 mm long, and I was previously running a semi integrated headset in my old frame. Will the 280 mm be long enough to fit in a 2012 Covert?

2) I know this is maybe too much to ask for, but does by any chance any of you guys the length of the cable hoses for a Reverb and the front brake? This is just so I can start on saving some bucks for bleeding kits if my current hoses are too short...

3) My Reverb has a 30.9 diameter, whereas the Covert needs one with 31.6 mm. I'm planning to get a spacer so I can fit my seatpost into the Covert - has anyone of you done this before and do I need to worry about damages which might still happen to the frame when using a seat post spacer?

TIA and happy trails!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hi,

1) it's more the question, if you want to run a tapered fork? If yes, you need an EC.
    3) no problem, you can do that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    reverb comes with a bleed kit and the replacement hose is 11$ or you can buy the kit pretty cheap. Reverb bleed kit will work with Avid brakes or vise versa. They use different fluids so you want to be aware of that.
    I had to pay 40$ for an avid hose to stretch out my rear line. But now I have a spare to use on a front...

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    1. I'd advise against the integrated headset, as unless you're not using the bike to it's full potential, then it's not gonna hurt to slack out the bike a tad more once you get a 160mm fork on there. As to which to get, you might call Transition if you're unsure. They might even have once lying about that they'd sell you for a fair price.
    3. If you choose to go with a 30.9-31.6 shim, I'd advise that you make sure that the shim is long enough to extend an inch below the ST-TT junction. I don't think that a standard 100mm shim is gonna be long enough, but I'd have to measure my frame to be sure.
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.