mtbr member

covert 2 VS covert 3

on paper...besides the 160 mm travel does anyone know what elese has changed? i dont see why messing with this winning design.

In im a covert convert coming from a SC nomad that i loved but allways desired the covert...
    read online books -Publish and read books online for free with publisheep.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Me neither. Buy mine!

mtbr member

hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by KCHT View Post
    Me neither. Buy mine!
    just bought a white 2012 covert... built up this week. could have waited a month to get the 2013 but i do not digg that rear triangle design near the rocker... looks fugly to me...

Just roll it......
    IMO, the longer stroke and eye to eye shock is the biggest benefit with the new design. Easier to tune for bigger guys or guys pushing their bikes super hard. Also, a degree slacker is worth noting along with the 10mm extra travel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    IMO, the longer stroke and eye to eye shock is the biggest benefit with the new design. Easier to tune for bigger guys or guys pushing their bikes super hard. Also, a degree slacker is worth noting along with the 10mm extra travel.
    gotcha.. so its more a facelift than a new bike... no game changer here.. its interesting to know if guys with the current covert see this bike as their next bike...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    It is more than just a facelift...

10mm more travel.
    15% lower leverage ratio from the 8.5" x 2.5" shock.
    Improved main pivot location for better pedalling with modern gearing.
    Small changes in geo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    It is more than just a facelift...

Improved main pivot location for better pedalling with modern gearing.
    Hey transition!

I'm sorry for my ignorance on gearing, but what does that actually mean? how does it compare to the previous model?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    What geo can i expect from a 545 ac fork?
    From calculation I did, the old frame weight was without a rear shock and the new version with one, and it seems the frame gain some weight?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by enduroXtreme View Post
    Hey transition!

I'm sorry for my ignorance on gearing, but what does that actually mean? how does it compare to the previous model?
    The older bike was developed in a time before 2x10. So most bikes were being built up with 22/32 or 22/32/42 type gearing... we designed the older Coverts to be a neutral pedal feel in those 22 and 32 gears. No pedal bob or pedal kick back when climbing.

But introduce bigger gears from a 2x10 crank (26 tooth inner ring) or ditch the granny and pedal all your climbs in the 32 and the older pivot point caused more suspension squat when climbing = loss in efficiency.

Basically... we raised the pivot up a bit.

mtbr member
    Got it! thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Does that mean that with a 9X2 combo the pedal efficiency will suffer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_orlick View Post
    Does that mean that with a 9X2 combo the pedal efficiency will suffer?
    Not really... if you run a 24/36 chainring combo the difference would be very minimal, if you have a 22 tooth inner ring you might feel a little bit of feedback in the pedals... but hardly a problem, and definitely not inefficient, just a different feel.

mtbr member
    I have to ask...is there any word on when the new aluminum coverts will be available?

I'm going to order mine soon - I have been waiting months to get a covert to give my bottlerocket some company.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dklopp View Post
    I have to ask...is there any word on when the new aluminum coverts will be available?

I'm going to order mine soon - I have been waiting months to get a covert to give my bottlerocket some company.
    International wil vary depending on the country... but in the USA and Canada they will be in shops before the end of the calendar year. Selling fast though, so get an order in place if you are after one!

Productions will keep rolling in all spring, so if you miss the first deliveries you won't be waiting long.

Cheers!

cup
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Curious bout ts bike. How does it feel compared to the nomad ?

mtbr member

If you eant to make it Naomd VS Covert than

Quote Originally Posted by cup View Post
    Curious bout ts bike. How does it feel compared to the nomad ?
    The things that would differ the TR from the Nomad Would have to be how efficient and nimble feel you instantly get when riding them. This is a fun & playful bike! They feel balanced and controlled in every riding disceplain.coming from a nomad i thought i would compromise on the downhill for that nimbless and efficiency... Boy was i wrong. The covert are a true enduro machie that lets you blaze your way uphill like an xc rig and shred on the downhill with a silly smile while feeling so "alive" it makes you start losing your voice from shouting everything you read about this bike is true. and more. im not a heavy rider around 78KG on a medium frame so i havent experienced any trouble with the 150 mm on the rear.I think the 150 back on 160 front combo rocks for enduro use!

The nomad is a great bike i owned it for 2 years and i loved it. but the transition is a better "one bike" on my personal experience and enduro riding style.

I belive the current nomad is going to be replaced with a nomad 3, there is an interesting thred on the SC forum you should check out.

Happy trails mate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    International wil vary depending on the country... but in the USA and Canada they will be in shops before the end of the calendar year. Selling fast though, so get an order in place if you are after one!

Productions will keep rolling in all spring, so if you miss the first deliveries you won't be waiting long.

Cheers!
    I placed my order for a Covert 2 just a few hours ago with the LBS. I was kind of nervous because I have never spent that much money on anything in my life, minus my truck. However, I have always had great service from you guys (after I destroyed a wheel in 2009 you got me a wheel set next day to save my Whistler trip!), and my Bottlerocket is still running strong after all of the abuse she's been through.

I have been wanting a Covert for a long time now, and with the tweaks (mainly a longer shock) it should be even better than the previous generation. I can't wait to get out on some epics for lots of vert in some remote locations this upcoming year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dklopp View Post
    I placed my order for a Covert 2 just a few hours ago with the LBS. I was kind of nervous because I have never spent that much money on anything in my life, minus my truck. However, I have always had great service from you guys (after I destroyed a wheel in 2009 you got me a wheel set next day to save my Whistler trip!), and my Bottlerocket is still running strong after all of the abuse she's been through.

I have been wanting a Covert for a long time now, and with the tweaks (mainly a longer shock) it should be even better than the previous generation. I can't wait to get out on some epics for lots of vert in some remote locations this upcoming year.
    Hell yeah! Your are going to love it... and I am sure the 2013 Covert will be perfect for those bike epics! Going to last you for years to come...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I haven't been able to find anything in my searches, has anyone had any real experience on both new and old Coverts? I love my V2 but my warranty will soon be up which means it's time to replace. I just want to know how it fits and feels to ride comparatively. If there is a lot of difference I may be willing to continue riding the old covert past the point of no return as I love the thing to death. I have had lots of bikes but by far this thing is the most fun.

BTW we also have a carbon Nomad, feels like I'm on stilts and the thing feels like you are pedaling a marshmallow. Just doesn't feel alive, I had the same feelings for my Intense Uzzi VP.