mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Covert with 140mm fork?

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a Covert frame, but I was wondering how it would handle with a 140mm fork? I don't have the cash to spend on a new 160mm fork, but I'd really like to pick up a the covert frame?

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Get the TransAM.

mtbr member
    I think it'll feel pretty weird....

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i think it will do the trick if you only wanna use it temporarily until you can afford a 160 fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    haha, yeah I do like your TransAm Euro. (I'm that guy you ran into at rock cut).

Anyhow, I'm taking a trip out west for two weeks this summer, and I don't think my Trek8500 race hardtail is going to cut it, so I was hoping to either get a Covert or a 575. If I can afford/pick-up a 160mm fork for cheap then I'll go with the covert, if not I guess I'm getting the 575.

Gnar
    The Covert is designed around a 160 fork. I have a 36 Talas on mine and use the 160 setting most of the time. Sometimes I use the middle setting (130) for cross country rides and it feels ok.

Get the Covert, it's awesome and it's the frame you want. Just plan on using your 140 temporarily until you can get a 160.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    that reminds me i recently forget to turn my lyrik from 115 to 160mm for a technical trail and i didnt have any problems at all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Nope! 160 Or Bust

mtbr member
    This question comes up quite often. Here goes the response Transition gave a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes
    He might have thought you were talking about the generation 1 frame, or maybe he choose "ideal" when he should have said it would work... the frame will get a bit steep with that fork... not too bad, but worse would be the decrease in BB height. You might encounter some pedal contact on more technical climbs.

160mm = Ideal
    150mm = Great
    140mm = Okay
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

mtbr member
    Where in the west are you going? If you're just trail riding and not doing any resort riding, I'd look at the bandit when it comes out. Then you could use your 140mm fork. I live in CO and all I ride is a TransAM. It handles everything quite well, so that's definitely an option too.

mtbr member
    I am making an effort to get my covert extremely light right now (like 26-27 lbs) as part of that i just threw on a 150mm 20mm dropout revelation and it feels fantastic on my local terrain...i was iffy about running the fork but it feels good at 150 (tighter east coast stuff).

just keep in mind it will steepen the head angle and lower the bb...I would make sure you get something with a beefier axle that compliments the rest of the bike thought.

nmb
    nuno borralho
    Jan 2008
    Sorry to jack your thread. I'm looking at trading my spitfire v1 for a covert. I have a float 150mm qr15 fork. I read the 150mm fork is not the ideal to the covert. But running a 160mm on a zero stack hs or a 150mm on an external cup would work ok?