Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    207

    Changes for Bandit 29 for 2013?

    Hi, just wondering what the official word is on the Bandit 29 for 2013. Are there changes planned for the bike with the new Covert 29 coming to town. Seems like it would be a shame if the Bandit did change based on all the glowing reviews I keep reading. Anyone have the downlow?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,308
    NEW MODEL FEATURES
    Updated trail geometry and 120mm travel front and rear.
    Longer cockpit length, 69 degree head angle and even shorter chainstay length.
    Optional 130mm travel Fox 34 fork replicates 2012 geometry.
    Wider 22.2mm shock spacing for increased durability.

    http://www.dynamicbike.ch/mondraker/...13_preview.pdf

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bettes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    153
    Yes... But the question is how much?!

    for 2012 I was deadcenter between a medium and a large (1m78) and if they lengten the toptube on the medium enough it should fit like a glove!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    723
    I don't see how going with a fox 34 130mm fork can offset the lengthened top tube to 'replicate' 2012 geometry...unless i'm missing something else...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    20
    If anyone else prefers the 2012 bandit with its longer travel and slacker geometry over the 2013 (and doesn't want to wait for the covert), my LBS in Golden still has 2 large black 2012 frames available (as of last week, anyway).

    I personally picked the 2012 bandit after seeing the upcoming changes and not wanting to wait for the covert (and lose the water bottle mount). This is the best bike I've ridden and I demo'ed over 20 other bikes before making the purchase. I'm sure the 2013's will be stellar as well

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    122
    My LBS has the color options for the covert and bandit 29 for 2013, in my opinion terrible colours. brown, grey (as best i could tell from the small pic) and white for the covert where has the hi vis gone??

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,308
    Quote Originally Posted by thrower78 View Post
    My LBS has the color options for the covert and bandit 29 for 2013, in my opinion terrible colours. brown, grey (as best i could tell from the small pic) and white for the covert where has the hi vis gone??
    Different colors listed here.

    Bandit 29 is white, black, and cyan.

    Covert 29 is white, brown, black.

    http://www.openbikesshop.fr/app/down...ineup+2013.pdf

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    207

    Hmmm

    Seems like a shame for the B29 to be changed already given its success. It got such great reviews for its performance, especially its incredible versatility. I wonder if either of the new designs will be as well rounded. Transition certainly has balls for changing it up so soon.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    122
    Still very plain colours anyway

  10. #10
    banjo plunker, wrench
    Reputation: swaneedawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    274
    Our shop still has a medium 2012 silver/black if anyone is looking...
    any time spent riding a bicycle is re-cycled goodness....

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,308
    Quote Originally Posted by thrower78 View Post
    Still very plain colours anyway
    I agree. The only decent looking bike with the new color changes from the 2013 lineup IMO is the yellow CF Covert and Stealth Black. The rest is kinda meh, especially the 2-tone DH frames.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    41
    tdotrider -

    The 130 fork will make the 2013 frame closely resemble the 2012 geo, but you're right, there are a few small changes aside from the 10mm reduced travel:

    11mm increase in frame reach & wheelbase per size (we have added a small for 2013 as well)
    2.8mm shorter chainstay length
    6.7mm higher bottom bracket (but you should have 2-3mm less sag)
    68 degree H/A (2012 was 68.5 degree)

    Small changes...a bit of shortening in the rear and and a tad more length to the front end/overall length.

    For anyone still interested in a 2012 model, dealers can still order the medium frames in black or pewter and there are still a handful of larges available at some shops. Contact TBC about that - we can point you in the right direction.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bettes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuch View Post
    tdotrider -

    The 130 fork will make the 2013 frame closely resemble the 2012 geo, but you're right, there are a few small changes aside from the 10mm reduced travel:

    11mm increase in frame reach & wheelbase per size (we have added a small for 2013 as well)
    2.8mm shorter chainstay length
    6.7mm higher bottom bracket (but you should have 2-3mm less sag)
    68 degree H/A (2012 was 68.5 degree)
    Thx for the info! Could you give me the reach and stack numbers with a 130 and a 120 fox?

    Can we eurotypes get the 130mm fork with a framekit or is it still off limits?!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    723
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuch View Post
    tdotrider -

    The 130 fork will make the 2013 frame closely resemble the 2012 geo, but you're right, there are a few small changes aside from the 10mm reduced travel:

    11mm increase in frame reach & wheelbase per size (we have added a small for 2013 as well)
    2.8mm shorter chainstay length
    6.7mm higher bottom bracket (but you should have 2-3mm less sag)
    68 degree H/A (2012 was 68.5 degree)

    Small changes...a bit of shortening in the rear and and a tad more length to the front end/overall length.

    For anyone still interested in a 2012 model, dealers can still order the medium frames in black or pewter and there are still a handful of larges available at some shops. Contact TBC about that - we can point you in the right direction.
    thanks for the info - I wouldn't mind the slightly longer top tube over my 2012 but that in itself doesn't warrant the switch for me...I'll just continue enjoying the hell out of my b29
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

  15. #15
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,905
    Interesting. Not the first time I've bought a first-year frame model that was significantly changed the following year. I suppose the intro of the Covert 29 required a reduction in front and rear travel on the Bandit. I, for one, am digging the heck out of the 140/130 set up on my Bandit right now. The ability to go 140/130 is why I bought it. At 120 rear, I'd just as soon waited for Ibis to release the Ripley or bought a RIP.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider View Post
    I don't see how going with a fox 34 130mm fork can offset the lengthened top tube to 'replicate' 2012 geometry...unless i'm missing something else...
    It does entirely offset the top tube growth, but as the bike is tipped back the horizontal TT does shorten up a little. Here is a run down of the 2013 Bandit 29 geo w/ 130 Fox 34 compared to the 2012 Bandit 29...

    Roughly 11mm increase in frame reach & wheelbase per size (but we have added a small for 2013 as well)
    2.8mm shorter chainstay length
    6.7mm higher bottom bracket (but you should have 2-3mm less sag)
    68 degree HA (2012 was 68.5 degree)

    This video also summarizes some of this quite nicely.

    I think you guys will find the Covert 29 to be an even better bike than the 2012 Bandit 29 if you want to ride the bike hard. Bigger shock size, lower weight placement and a MUCH stiffer rear end. Very noticable improvements.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    723
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Bigger shock size, lower weight placement and a MUCH stiffer rear end. Very noticable improvements.
    Where the chain/seat stays beefed up on the new Covert vs. 2012 B29? I've noticed that I'm getting tire rub on the inside of my seatstays - granted I've been using a relatively light wheelset (Stan's Arch EX w/3.30 hubs laced with 2.0/1.7 spokes), are others finding the rear end fo the B29 flexy? I've got a new beefier wheelset on order which I'm hoping is more laterally stiff than the current setup. Right now I can literally push the tire (rampage 2.35) to touch the seatstay WITH MY HAND...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider View Post
    Where the chain/seat stays beefed up on the new Covert vs. 2012 B29? I've noticed that I'm getting tire rub on the inside of my seatstays - granted I've been using a relatively light wheelset (Stan's Arch EX w/3.30 hubs laced with 2.0/1.7 spokes), are others finding the rear end fo the B29 flexy? I've got a new beefier wheelset on order which I'm hoping is more laterally stiff than the current setup. Right now I can literally push the tire (rampage 2.35) to touch the seatstay WITH MY HAND...
    That is probably part frame, part wheels.

    The Covert 29 has larger cross section chainstays and seatstays, plus the seat stay yoke (up by the rocker) is much stouter. In total the rear triangle is much stiffer than the 2012 Bandit 29.

  19. #19
    on a routine expedition
    Reputation: Marshall Willanholly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,558
    Will the Covert29 frame be significantly heavier than the 2012 Bandit29?

  20. #20
    I <3 dirt
    Reputation: Ilikemtb999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,335
    Any idea on when the 2013 b29 will be available?
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    26
    Thinking of getting a bandit 29er. I am 6'4 should I go large or XL? 80% XC riding. Do we know the weight of a complete build by transition on the b29?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,308
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmountainskiercfg View Post
    Thinking of getting a bandit 29er. I am 6'4 should I go large or XL? 80% XC riding. Do we know the weight of a complete build by transition on the b29?
    Definitely XL. And even with that 24.5" ETT you still might be cramped. I'm the same height, and my TransAM with a 24.25" ETT was super small and cramped.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Definitely XL. And even with that 24.5" ETT you still might be cramped. I'm the same height, and my TransAM with a 24.25" ETT was super small and cramped.
    FYI - The new 2013 Bandit 29 XL has a 20mm longer reach than the 2012.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    FYI - The new 2013 Bandit 29 XL has a 20mm longer reach than the 2012.
    Huh. Sounds like someone is trying to get you back in the Transition camp again, eurospek. Time for a new frame!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,308
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    Huh. Sounds like someone is trying to get you back in the Transition camp again, eurospek. Time for a new frame!
    Idk, my current Honzo has a 26 ETT" and 464mm of reach, 50mm stem and 785mm bars, and it's the most comfortable hardtail that I've ridden. Flickable and nimble as well and finally a bike that fits proper. It sounded so long on paper looking at geo figures but the first ride was so much different than the TransAM. Nothing in the current Transition line up remotely close to mimick those geo figures, everything runs much shorter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •