Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chain stay and frame protection

17K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  jhobert 
#1 ·
Just wondering what people are using for for chain stay protection on the top portion of your chain stay, i got the usual tube wrap but i might take it off as i dont like the look of it but really not that big of a deal, also who makes a good kit for frame rub protection,

See less See more
#14 ·
I've never tried velcro, but it (soft side) sounds like another great idea! :thumbsup:

Any pix of this? On the square chainstay (and seatstay), just curious, did you wrap all the way "around", or just 3/4 of the surfaces (where it counts)?

So, I have lots of the regular 3/4"-width at home, but it's not "industrial strength" nor 2"-width. Wonder if it'd still work, or does it have to be "industrial strength"? As for "industrial strength", is it the stronger glue or the stronger soft-fuzzy material (or both)?

I know it's a bit silly getting too detailed into this (a pic will help, too), but just asking for some more elaboration, please... ;) (I just got a new frame, and am so excited about everything right now.)

#23 ·
What I found won't work for everyone but is worth consideration for folks with a Hort link suspension who are willing to un-bolt the Horst link pivots so as to slide a piece of tubing over the chainstay-

Abrasion resistant, sound deadening fabric heat shrink tubing.
McMaster-Carr

This stuff is durable, cheap, and I have never heard any chainslap. I put bar wrap on the chainstay first so it looks bulky on mine, in hindsight I don't think the bar wrap was nesseasary.

Attachments

#26 ·
The Cheapest and Best Chainstay Protectors

These are the best and cheapest chain stay protectors on the market.

They cost £4 a pair delivered. They look great, are made from neoprene (wetsuit material) and velcro and protect your frame brilliantly.

For £4 a pair you really can't go wrong.

I got from Ebay via :

Bargain_Bikes_Bargain_Bicycles

BARGAIN !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.