mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Chain retention on 2012 Bandit 29?

I'm running a 3x9 setup on my '12 B29 and having problems dropping the chain from the middle ring on downhills. It falls all the way down and jams between the granny ring and the ISCG tabs.

Can someone recommend a product for me to keep the chain in place, or at least from jamming?

Last ride i actually twisted a link and had to straighten it before continuing the ride. Also, the aluminum is getting a bit mangled on the ISCG tabs.

I don't want to upgrade to 10 speed, or change my crankset. I don't mind giving up the big ring though and running 2x10. I was going to get a Shadow Plus rear derailleur with the clutch, but was told they weren't available for 9 speed.

PS - I've never actually owned a bike with a roller-type guide, but i'm worried that the noise would drive me crazy. Definitely prefer a silent solution.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Bionicon C.Guide V.02 Chainguide > Components > Drivetrain > Chain Tensioners and Guides | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

These are overpriced but I've heard a lot of good things about them.

beyond that, I've used a lot of chain guides over the years, and they're pretty nice these days and I don't notice any extra noise or drag with most. I wouldn't hesitate to lose the big ring and throw a chainguide on.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Can you post pics of your current setup?
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks Binary. I've heard several people suggest the Bionicon. Looks like it would make noise to me, but maybe it's not too bad. I'll see if i can check one out in a local shop.

In Yo Grill, I assume you mean pics of BinaryBike's setup.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Can't you just install a roadystyle chaincatcher? Seems you just need to get the chain not to drop lower than the granny

kedge have serveral...
    Chain retention on 2012 Bandit 29?-k-edge-mtb-catcher-zoom.jpg
    Name:  0012035_k_edge_road_clamp_on_chain_catcher.jpeg
Views: 208
Size:  16.5 KB

or the cheaper ones
    Chain retention on 2012 Bandit 29?-dsc03449-chain-catcher.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Those might help, and would be better than nothing. But it would be better to keep the chain up on the middle ring where it belongs.
    Bend, OR

likes bicycles
    I was having the same issues with a Bandit26. Chain would drop and get stuck between the small ring and ISCG tabs. So I filled the tabs with one of these:

Blackspire - STINGER | Blackspire

Works great on my 2x9. I know you said you don't want anything that will be loud. The way it was installed has the chain rubbing against the guide just a bit when in the small ring. It seems that the chain has actually worn the guide down enough that it's not as obnoxiously loud. Now I don't even notice it. That took about a month of riding.

I will say, though, it likely depends on where you're riding. Where I live, it is super dry. We finally got some rain, so I went to play in the wet. It got some sand up in the guide and it became very loud. So if you live in dry, I'd recommend it. In a wet, sandy area, it may make a lot of noise.

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by BinaryBike View Post
    Bionicon C.Guide V.02 Chainguide > Components > Drivetrain > Chain Tensioners and Guides | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

These are overpriced but I've heard a lot of good things about them.

beyond that, I've used a lot of chain guides over the years, and they're pretty nice these days and I don't notice any extra noise or drag with most. I wouldn't hesitate to lose the big ring and throw a chainguide on.
    Just ordered one for my Covert 29. I already ditched the MRP as it was too bulky so this looks to be a simple, lightweight solution to a chain guide. Thanks a bunch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyS600 View Post
    Thanks Binary. I've heard several people suggest the Bionicon. Looks like it would make noise to me, but maybe it's not too bad. I'll see if i can check one out in a local shop.

In Yo Grill, I assume you mean pics of BinaryBike's setup.
    I've had a bionicon on a few bikes now and its not loud. My buddy actually commented that it was quieter than his roller guide. The thing is simple and works. When the guide part starts to wear flip it over an use the other side.