Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

ccdb air on carbon covert

Hi peeps,

Torn between a ccdb coil or air for the covert.
    Already hav a coil on my 951 and loved it
    So was thinking of getting the ccdb for the covert
    Being a trail/am bike wanna go air for a lighter build.
    So shd I do it?

There is a new xv version with a larger air can, will that be able to replicate the feel of a coil better and prevents it for heating up often compared to the normal ccdb air
    I am 220lbs btw and the fork is a deville 160

Thanks a bunch!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmc78 View Post
    Hi peeps,

Torn between a ccdb coil or air for the covert.
    Already hav a coil on my 951 and loved it
    So was thinking of getting the ccdb for the covert
    Being a trail/am bike wanna go air for a lighter build.
    So shd I do it?

There is a new xv version with a larger air can, will that be able to replicate the feel of a coil better and prevents it for heating up often compared to the normal ccdb air
    I am 220lbs btw and the fork is a deville 160

Thanks a bunch!
    I've been thinking about getting a carbon covert to replace my Knolly delirium which has a ccdb air on it.
    After switching out a ccdb coil for the air version on the Knolly last year I'd say the air shock is definitly the way to go for the Covert.

It works great on the delirium and I've not once wished I had the coil back on there.

I think the need for a High volume can will depend on the frame design.
    Heat build up has never been an issue for me and mine's a standard shock but with the later high flow sleeve fitted (which was a warranty thing as the early shocks couldn't get full travel on some frame designs). On the knolly there's just no real benefit from the high volume can.

Your probably best talking to either Cane creek or Transition to see what they recommend, although if you do get the high volume can you could always change the volume with the rubber band reducer things you get with the shock.

I'd be very keen to hear your views on the frame with the shock once you've got it all built up.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the feedback.

Got a friend with a mojo hd on the ccdb air, it rides like a magic carpet
    There is no bob and it just eats up the bumps...rode over a hump and did feel any bounce or bob
    Thats was the reason why I had wanted to move to the air.

Friend had only set the sag n have not fine tune it yet but it felt smooth

Will talk to tranisition and cane creek to get their feedback

Will update u guys when I get my first ride on it.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Any update about the CCDB and the Carbon Covert ???

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Have spoken to cane creek, they mentioned that they have not tested the ccdb air on d covert
    However looking at the susp design, the normal ccdb air is sufficient, no need for the larger air can
    I am still waiting for the delivery of the shock.
    Currently outta stocks at my LBS

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Im in the other corner ^^, have a CCDB air (that I used on my Ibis Mojo HD, which I sold one week ago).... Im waiting for the covert carbon frame.
    As soon as I have the complete bike Ill post my impressions (y)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Pending the ccdb air n installing of the csixx guide n crankset
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ccdb air on carbon covert-img-20130424-wa0000.jpg  

mtbr member
    I've also got a CCDB-air on order to go with carbon Covert (Black). Waiting for both to arrive, hopefully in 2-3 weeks. Spoke to Cane Creek and Transition who both thought the standard air can would be the best option. Will be very interested in the shock settings that you guys start out with if you could post them? Shame that Cane Creek hasn't had time to trial a Covert and post base settings. So much easier to have a recommended starting point.
    For me; Want and Need are much the same thing...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Different bike but I put one on my 2013 Bandit 29. Two rides so far and it just kills with the CCDB air. It makes the fox ctd look like a toy.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    Different bike but I put one on my 2013 Bandit 29. Two rides so far and it just kills with the CCDB air. It makes the fox ctd look like a toy.
    If you have the time, could you post the settings you're using with this shock? Much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DBY View Post
    If you have the time, could you post the settings you're using with this shock? Much appreciated!
    They are not far from factory. 32-33% sag, I added about a half turn more of HSC and 2 more clicks of LSR. If you buy from Kevin at mtbsuspensionexperts.com he will give you some recommeded settings to start with. Then take a look at the Cane Creek field tuning guide to dial in what you like/don't like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    We would recommend the regular air volume on the Carbon Covert. A CCDB Coil is not recommended, since the frame design is based around a progressive air spring.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    They are not far from factory. 32-33% sag, I added about a half turn more of HSC and 2 more clicks of LSR. If you buy from Kevin at mtbsuspensionexperts.com he will give you some recommeded settings to start with. Then take a look at the Cane Creek field tuning guide to dial in what you like/don't like.
    Thanks so much!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Anyone have some updates on this? Or at least some ideas for baseline settings aside from going from the middle of the range like CC says then tuning each setting incrementally.

I'm just waiting for my mounting hardware from CC.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hi MikeyOrange, what is the mounting hardware sizes for de DB on a Covert Carbon ???

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Should be 22.20mm front and rear

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thank you so much (y)

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyOrange View Post
    Anyone have some updates on this? Or at least some ideas for baseline settings aside from going from the middle of the range like CC says then tuning each setting incrementally.

I'm just waiting for my mounting hardware from CC.
    Honestly, I would look over the Cane Creek field tuning guide that comes with it and tune what you do/don't like about the shock. The guide is actually very helpful as small adjustments can make a big difference on this shock.

mtbr member

CCDB-A Up n running

All parts finally arrived couple of weeks back. Had a few rides and starting to get a workable tune. Its been a bit of a path getting it set up, especially with throwing the geometry out a little via my fork of choice, but feeling good about it so far. The tune I am running at present is: large air volume reducer, 95psi (I am 175lb loaded) 18 clicks LSC, 1 turn HSC, 6 clicks LSR, 3/4 turns HSR. Im getting about 33% sag which seems to feel about right. Will update as I narrow it down some more.

Couple of pics:
    ccdb air on carbon covert-shock.jpgccdb air on carbon covert-bike.jpg
    Last edited by Rocroc; 06-11-2013 at 01:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    That is one beautifully overbuilt covert.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Wow Boxxer on a Convert. That's not too much fork??
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

mtbr member
    Hey hey... yea the boxxer is a bit of an experiment. Its all about running a stiff-as front end. Most of our riding is pretty fast over some really gnarly terrain. Its nothing you cant handle on 160-180mm forks, but when beating your mates is paramount every edge counts. And I also want a bike that can be pedaled uphill and all day long. So with the covert C it fits nicely with a stiff strong frame, plenty of travel but not an un-pedalable DH rig. My goal was to run 40% sag on the fork so that the riding geometry wasn't to unsettled. Starting to get the balance of tune between front and rear about right, I can say that with 38psi in the fork it is one stiff and plush front end...
    Interestingly weight wasn't too much of a concern, but as you see it in the pic's it is 13.9 kg (30.6Lb) which is about the lightest bike I've ever seen with triple clamps...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    sounds to me like an unfair advantage using a downhill fork when your mates obviously have to rely on skill, flair, technique and good looks.

hang your head in shame!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Beautiful !!!
    Matched with a Lyrik DH or the new Pike 2014 would be perfect

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RLL2011 View Post
    Im in the other corner ^^, have a CCDB air (that I used on my Ibis Mojo HD, which I sold one week ago).... Im waiting for the covert carbon frame.
    As soon as I have the complete bike Ill post my impressions (y)
    No bike yet? I'm curious what you think of the Covert coming from the MojoHD.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast