krt
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Can't decide betwean the medium and large 2013 Covert

I'm looking at the frame size recommendations for the 2013 Covert and I'm stuck between the medium and large frame. I'm just under 6' and that puts me right in between. I don't have any way of demo riding a Covert to help me decide.

I would prefer the smaller frame, but then again I wouldn't want to be forced to a 100mm stem or have to use a seatpost with a big offset (I'm planning on putting a reverb on the bike in the near future).

I'm hoping to get some feadback from some of you that were in a similar situation. What should I do?

mtbr member
    I had to make the choice with my 2012 26" Bandit...

5'10" 32" inseam and while I unfortunately didn't have an opportunity to ride a Med., I chose the Large.
    While I don't always ride quite so "spirited", the longer frame with a 50mm stem seemed more interesting than a Med with a 70/90mm

Since it's my only good bike right now, that was my compromise. A larger quiver may have changed
    that, as well as it's intended purpose (Covert being more aggresive)
    Time wounds all heels...

krt
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostRing View Post
    I had to make the choice with my 2012 26" Bandit...

5'10" 32" inseam and while I unfortunately didn't have an opportunity to ride a Med., I chose the Large.
    While I don't always ride quite so "spirited", the longer frame with a 50mm stem seemed more interesting than a Med with a 70/90mm
    If I would have to make the same choice for the Bandit, I would definitely go with the bigger frame, since the Bandit is more on the XC side. But for the Covert i just don't know. I want it to be snappy and easy to maneuver, so I'm leaning towards the medium, but...

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRing View Post
    Since it's my only good bike right now, that was my compromise. A larger quiver may have changed that, as well as it's intended purpose (Covert being more aggresive)
    Could you clarify what you mean by that?

Does anyone else have any input?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I am 6' and went with the med on the Covert v2. Wish I went with the large frame. Not sure on the geo dif. on the new frames?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm 5'11+ and went large defying their sizing. My reasoning was similar to the earlier post. I was going all mountain, so I didn't want a long stem. Went large with 50mm stem, 750 wide bars. I rode a med with a 55mm stem and it felt small. Def would have needed an 80-90 stem I'm guessing. I compared it to a lot of bikes that I was able to demo this year geo wise, and the top tube was the same length as some of my favs.

It's my one bike, so honestly it gets mostly trail riding, some xc, some DH. I like the size when I'm climbing, I think med would be too small for me. Downhill it handles great.

If I had a trail bike in addition I would go medium, or maybe get a DH bike instead.

I love mine. Very fun and poppy. The lyrik fork is the best thing I did for my overworked hands...

Btw, it's a 2012
    Last edited by krummholz!; 11-06-2012 at 10:10 PM.

krt
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by krummholz! View Post
    I'm 5'11+ and went large defying their sizing. My reasoning was similar to the earlier post. I was going all mountain, so I didn't want a long stem. Went large with 50mm stem, 750 wide bars. I rode a med with a 55mm stem and it felt small. Def would have needed an 80-90 stem I'm guessing. I compared it to a lot of bikes that I was able to demo this year geo wise, and the top tube was the same length as some of my favs.

It's my one bike, so honestly it gets mostly trail riding, some xc, some DH. I like the size when I'm climbing, I think med would be too small for me. Downhill it handles great.

If I had a trail bike in addition I would go medium, or maybe get a DH bike instead.

I love mine. Very fun and poppy. The lyrik fork is the best thing I did for my overworked hands...

Btw, it's a 2012
    The 'only bike' thing is definitely a factor. It would be my only bike for at least a year from when I'll buy it, and I don't wan't it to feel small. Especially not when I'm climbing.

The large frame is definitely in my sights again. I think I'll try to build up my old 19" XC frame and try how it fits with a shorter stem and what kind of seatpost height I'm going to get with it, since I plan on fitting a reverb on the Covert and I don't wan't it to go to high when it fully extends.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm riding a reverb and it is perfect at its maxx height. The collar is slammed in the seat tube so it is close...

krt
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I just ordered the large frame. Evan the dealer said that the large would be better for me.

I hope it'll be here by the end of the month. I'll post an update when it arrives.
    Last edited by krt; 11-07-2012 at 03:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Right on!
    I think as long as you don't skip a size, things will be fine...

Enjoy your new ride!
    Time wounds all heels...