mtbr member
    Feb 2010

cable routing on Covert 2010...

Finally I'm finishing building my Covert that had to wait nearly a year since a purchase to be built....
    Installed the gear and brakes, cables routing was a bit of headache. Obviously followed the recommendations on Transition site, but still, not the most convenient way...
    Anyway, have a question regarding rear brake cable routing and of front shifter:
    As per the instructions on the site the cable follows downtube, rests on the main pivot and then follows along the chainstay. I have Magura Marta rear brake and the cable has to form quite large and not very pretty looking loop up in order to fit the caliper. The hose loop rests on the upper chainstay and I expect enormous cable rub there in short time riding...
    I'll appreciate opinions on that, perhaps even pictures how other riders route this part of the hose to Marta rear brake...perhaps I'm just missing something but cannot figure what...

Also, routed front derailleur cable exactly per instructions. Once passiing underneath BB the cable housing ends in cable stop. However, due to short loop there the housing applies quite a bit of force back along the cable and it the loop under the BB shell goes about 1-2cm away from the BB underneath surface. I thought it shall be snug on the BB underneath (however causing serious cable rub if not using protective coating) underwise it may interfere with high obstacles during riding (that come close to BB)...
    Is that a concern ? Shall I expect the cable to fit snug under the BB shell ?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    most brakes you can adjust the angle of the hose coming out of the caliper. not familiar with magura though. you may want to wrap your hose with something slick, so the hose doesn't wear through.

front der cable routing under BB causes a sherp bend and adds friction but don't worry about smashing it on stuff.