mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Buying a used Scout

I found a used Scout with the 2017 frame. It's aluminum and the guy told me that there are few scratches on the bike, but no structural damage. He told me it has a Scout 3 build and that he would let it go for 2500. The only problem is that he would have to ship it to me, so I won't be able to actually see the bike before buying it.

Is 2500 a good deal for a Scout that hasn't been ridden very much and well maintained?

Is there anything I should be worried about buying a bike without taking it for a test ride to make sure everything is ok?
    If there's no mountain, it's just biking.

DirtBag
    I bought my Scout without actually seeing it, only from a few pics. You're taking a chance, but just ask them to be honest and take pics of whatever blemishes the frame has and make the call. Mine had a few scratches more than what the guy said, but it's ok. Now I won't feel as bad when I here a rock bounce off of the frame mid-ride (;
    Do the transaction through PayPal for assurance, and hope for the best!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That sounds like a pretty good deal.
    Just make sure he sends you some detail pics with good resolution so you can see the frame to and bottom of downtube and BB area, stays, and detail pics of components, shock and fork - make sure there aren't any scrathes or nicks on the fork sliders. Ask him why he's selling. No structural damage is good - so no "accidents" like "sort of" driving halfway into garage forgetting bike on the roof, or bike gone down hard somewhere, etc...

It sounds like a good deal. I have 16' Scout 3 and it's a really good all around bike.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music