mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Buying a Scout sight unseen ?

So.. I'm really interested in the Transition Scout, but can't figure out how to test ride without any dealers nearby at all. Have some of you Transition owners just trusted the numbers and bought online without a ride? Just curious what y'all experience has been. Thanks for any input.

one sick puppy
    I bought a Bandit 29 without any test runs. I tried to do my homework reading all the reviews and checking the geometry and comparing it to some other bikes I had or had ridden. If you can pin it down to the right ballpark, then you can always change stems or forks or seat length and posts to get the right "comfortable". I love my Bandit and tried to build it a little bit more Trail Bike instead of going a little heavier duty.
    Saddle up, Effendi. We ride.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Bought my Scout without ever seeing one, remains the best bike I've ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Yeah im in the same boat, i do have a transition dealer in my area but they dont stock any, all special order. #BUMMER#SUX Cause i really want to sit and test ride a Scout and Patrol. You would think being a "dealer" you should have at least one model in stock...rant over..

Good, green, Oregon.
    Same boat as cmeride, in that I have a dealer near by, but nothing in stock. I did my homework and I like doing the research (who doesn't like reading about all kinds of bikes!). I placed my order without ever riding a Patrol, and going off everything I could find on it. That said, I also believe that it's hard to buy a bad bike these days, as there are so many good choices. I also think that you can get used to just about anything. For me, it was the company as much as it was the bike. TR is a rad company, and I'm really happy with the dealer too. Good guys for sure, and the guy I'm working with rides a rad looking Smuggler too. Good sign there!
    *2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (aka: Sweet Pea)

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Ordered a Smuggler without a real test ride recently. Picked it up this week. I demoed a few similar models from other companies and could have done a lot more demos, but at least where I am demos (basically rentals) are not free and cost adds up. Sure, a shop will reimburse the cost if you end up buying from them, but that doesn't cover multiple shops. In the end it came down to knowing basically what I wanted in terms of geo and reviews, combined with the irrational emotion of just wanting to give Transition a try, and finding an LBS that I was happy working with. Really, it was the cool LBS that made me finally ready to pull the trigger. But if other brands are more available and better supported in your area, that's something to consider. Maybe having something less common is appealing, but one could argue that more common bikes are popular for a reason.

mtbr member
    I've purchased a bunch of bikes from Transition over the years without ever riding one first. Reviews help a lot, but one of the biggest factors is that you can call them up and talk to multiple guys who have ridden the bike. You can tell them about your trails and you're style and you're concerns and they'll shoot straight with you. I've done this with each new bike I've got from them, including a Scout, and I haven't been disappointed yet.
    Binary • Transition Bikes • Demon Dirt •

mtbr member
    bought my smuggler without a demo and it worked out great for me!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    I did just that. Geometry seemed to be pretty close to my Camber and even closer to the new 650 Stumpjumpers which I knew fit me good. And the suspension was a take on FSR too.

I drew all those bikes on BikeCad too to compare.

Couldn't be happier with my Scout (specially after a few upgrades).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I also bought a Scout sight unseen.

Zero regrets.

Read about every review you could find, including forums here.

Had 4 frames I was looking at that all seemed great. After running the numbers (cost, geo etc), Scout won out.

Hardest part was actually finding one. A kind user here pointed me in the direction of his local shop in Portland that still had a 2015 model in stock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I test rode a new Specialized Stumpy 650b as it was the closest geo to the scout around that I could find. Very Very similar if you look at specs, although with different travels. 2 rides on the stumpy was enough to know I wanted the scout.

I liked the feel of the stumpy except I felt I didn't need so much rear travel for where I ride, and maybe would have preferred something a tiny bit slacker in the HT. So scout with a 150mm pike it shall be.

I really don't think you can go wrong. Highly recommend trying out the new stumpys for feel and just imagine with less squish. Or Pick the scout up used if you are concerned, so if you don't like it for some reason you can get even money back out of it.