Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Brand new model... Bandit 29

mtbr member
    if it keep$ the revenue $tream-a-flowin and the door$ open, bring on the wagon wheel in the quiver...not that i'm gonna be replacing soon but please keep my beloved covert and transams 6ers. did you guys go out drinkin with Gary Fisher? tr.4life
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Well... we did think "The Cash Money" would be a good name at first... but realized later that some people might not get the joke. LOL

Seriously though, a few people here were skeptics and a few people wanted something like this badly. Compared to 26 bikes, the 29 really does attack aggressive terrain well. On a pumpy jumpy trail the 26 wins without question, but in the tech and gnar the big wheels definitely help you pick aggressive lines and come out of sections with more speed.

We were initially pretty tight lipped about this project, but once everyone realized how much fun the bike was going to production was a no brainer.

Keep an open mind and give it a shot. Maybe it's for you, maybe it isn't...

mtbr member
    you guys pedal what you pu$h so I have no doubt you guys always do your homework and are in it cuz you believe in it.

Had a Soulcraft 29er for a bit 5-6yrs ago. It was a HT so not as progressive as what is out now. The weakness was always the wheel build for me. I grew up on bmx and just found that the handling for my style of riding with 29er geo never felt dialled. I really tried to like it for a solid year but..

Anyway, I wish you guys the best with the bike. nothin but love for my Tr. quiver! gotta tell my 29heavy LBS about it though. this would be much cooler than the niners , salsas & speshes that sit everywhere on the floor.
    Last edited by 53119; 06-30-2011 at 03:20 PM.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    you guys pedal what you pu$h so I have no doubt you guys always do your homework and are in it cuz you believe in it.

Had a Soulcraft 29er for a bit 5-6yrs ago. It was a HT so not as progressive as what is out now. The weakness was always the wheel build for me. I grew up on bmx and just found that the handling for my style of riding with 29er geo never felt dialled. I really tried to like it for a solid year but..

Anyway, I wish you guys the best with the bike. nothin but love for my Tr. quiver!
    I think that pretty much explains it... the ride of this bike definitely hits "all mountain" from more of the stable DH side of the spectrum and less from the quick and pumpy BMX side.

Definitely a different ride, and it doesn't suit everyone, nor every region.

It's all about choice! And don't you worry... our 26 bikes definitely aren't going way.

mtbr member
    [ And don't you worry... our 26 bikes definitely aren't going way.[/QUOTE]

okay, i read that here on the interweb so it must be true!
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Holey! This is awesome guys, I will be making an order very soon.

small member
    Jun 2006
    delivery date?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    This is a 2012 model, they will be available around December/January.

mtbr member
    Hahah I just was reading the bandit thread about half the people were freaking out asking for a 29er now I bet there just sitting there drooling.. I am, I'd like to give it a try.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Great to see!

It appears you guys nailed it first try on an AM 29er. Got any GEO numbers or colors yet? Frame weight?

mtbr member
    Tell us about the replaceable dropouts.

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Funny how many people are skeptical about the 29er. Admittedly, I work at a GF dealer in the southeast. I was forced to move here by my lovely fiance but lived the last 10 years in Utah where 29ers were like fat pow skis, a good addition to your quiver but it's not your everyday trail bike. When I moved here I noticed almost everyone has one and honestly that's why I built mine ( because of the terrain, not because everyone else rides one).

I ride an SS 29er but am def. not a spandex wearing XC guy...they just excel really well in the technical terrain that the east coast has to offer. If there are any skiers on here I think people look at 29ers like I look at Telemark skiers...for crusty bros who just want to be different. However, I can charge equally as hard on ( I just typed "hard on" ) a 29er as I can on my 26 inch bike ( if not harder )...I'm smoking dudes on geared 26 inch bikes and it's not the motor ( trust me ). There are pros and cons for sure.

I just finished my TransAm build and after not riding a 26 inch bike for almost a year I was wishing my TransAm was a 29er...people on these forums related me to someone who owns Roller Blades. Pretty funny ****, I'll admit but until you ride one don't knock it.

I was out in Utah last week and noticed my old shop was carrying even more 29ers since I left. There is a demand...an industry trade magazine I think said that 29ers were up almost 125% this year ( I'm probably getting that number wrong but it's close ). I think now that the fork manufacturers are starting to offer more trail bike oriented 29er forks with longer travel it's starting to open up options to companies like Transition. I'm stoked that a company like Transition is building 29ers and I look forward to ordering one ASAP. This will complete my quiver of bikes quite nicely.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    Salsa Selma with 80m Lefty

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I am waiting for the Double 29.

mtbr member
    Might this be an excuse to give the big hoops a try?

mtbr member
    I'm liking this. I assume it will be priced similar to the Bandit 26er?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I'm liking this. I assume it will be priced similar to the Bandit 26er?
    I'm just hoping there is an option for a similar "baller" build kit.

mtbr member

142 axle question?

I haven't been following the evolution of the 142x12 axle.

Will the axle be included with the frame? If not, will it be available through Transition?

And the Shimano vs Syntace system...

The little that I have read, it seems that any hub that is 142 compatible will work, all that is different is the interface between the axle and the frame. So, if a frame is designed around the Shimano system, a Shimano axle will need to be used, if the frame is designed around the Syntace system, a Syntace compatible axle will need to be used.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I haven't been following the evolution of the 142x12 axle.

Will the axle be included with the frame? If not, will it be available through Transition?

And the Shimano vs Syntace system...

The little that I have read, it seems that any hub that is 142 compatible will work, all that is different is the interface between the axle and the frame. So, if a frame is designed around the Shimano system, a Shimano axle will need to be used, if the frame is designed around the Syntace system, a Syntace compatible axle will need to be used.
    Yes. Our own Transition bolt on axle will be included with the frame. These dropouts are compatible with the Shimano QR axle if you want to upgrade it to QR later. And you are right... if the frame fits the Shimano standard, only Shimano (style) axles work with it and vice versa with Syntace X12 dropouts. Fortunately... a 142mm x 12mm hub is the same for any dropout.

AND

The good news is, our wheels and hubs of ALL generations are fully convertible to 12mm x 142mm and we will have good stock of conversion kits availale for sale. So if you are builing a bike from the frame up and have our wheels, you can convert them! Most other hub makers are offering 142mm conversions for their wheels as well. But to make sure no one gets screwed over, we will be offering optional 10mm x 135mm dropouts seperately if you have a hub that won't convert, or just plain don't like change.

Expect to see these same dropouts on more and more of our bikes soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    are you going to have your own 29er wheels?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by joelsman View Post
    are you going to have your own 29er wheels?
    Yes - our same hubset with a Revolution 28 rolled in 29" diameter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Expect to see these same dropouts on more and more of our bikes soon.
    The first part of your post makes it sound like people already have your revo hubs laced to 29" wheels, which I think is hopeful to say the least.

The interesting part of your post is the quote above.
    Does this mean all your bikes will come with the 135mm spacing as an option soon?
    What about 150mm spaced bikes those going to have the conversion, too?
    Or will 142mm eventually become the "new" "standard"?

It looks like trek claims this "new" "standard" is about ease of use. Click
    And then Syntace claims it is all about stiffness and lightness thanks solely to their clamping design, which without the clamping, one would assume negates any real advantages. Click
    I didn't look for why shimano is jumping on the band wagon, but I'm sure it is a combination of both.
    Which benefits are you trying to achieve?
    Do you have any video or close up pictures of your design in both phases 135 and 142?

I'm not knocking the decision just trying to understand it.

MDJ
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    I am waiting for the Double 29.
    I'm waiting for the TR290. Ah, yeah!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The 142x12 system offers two primary advantages. The wheel is easier to install because the wider axle sits directly into a machined area of the dropout. So you don't have to manually line the hub up with the axle - the hub rests in a specific spot on the frame and the axle lines up easily. The other advantage is the additional stiffness of a 12mm diameter axle vs a 10mm system.

The Shimano 142x12 system is nice because it offers a proven QR system. If you've seen any newer Fox fork with a 15mm QR, the function is essentially the same. No tools needed to get the wheel on and off is a big bonus for a lot of riders.

To see a better image of how the TR dropout system will work, check out the closeup photo of the cassette on the Bandit 29 page of Transition's homepage here - http://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Bandit29.cfm

That is a closeup of the 142x12 dropout with the Transition aluminum 142x12 axle in use. The frame will come standard with that axle and that dropout. If you want to upgrade to a QR 142, you just need to buy the Shimano axle and it will slide right in. If you have a 135x10 wheel that you want to use and can't upgrade your hub to a 142x12 system, you'll just need a set of the 135x10 dropouts. The entire dropout (the black piece held in place by two silver bolts) will come off and you'll put the 135x10 dropouts in their place. Hook up your existing wheel and you're good to go.

Really, it's all about having options. 142x12 offers enough of an advantage that there's no reason not to use it if you're building up a new bike. But plenty of riders wont be ready to make the switch or wont be able to change the axle system on their existing hubs, so the addition of a 10x135 dropout will allow that rider to get rolling affordably and quickly.
    Last edited by Scuch; 07-08-2011 at 12:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuch View Post
    The 142x12 system offers two primary advantages. The wheel is easier to install because the wider axle sits directly into a machined area of the dropout. So you don't have to manually line the hub up with the axle - the hub rests in a specific spot on the frame and the axle lines up easily. The other advantage is the additional stiffness of a 12mm diameter axle vs a 10mm system.

The Shimano 142x12 system is nice because it offers a proven QR system. If you've seen any newer Fox fork with a 15mm QR, the function is essentially the same. No tools needed to get the wheel on and off is a big bonus for a lot of riders.

To see a better image of how the TR dropout system will work, check out the closeup photo of the cassette on the Bandit 29 page of Transition's homepage here - http://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Bandit29.cfm

That is a closeup of the 142x12 dropout with the Transition aluminum 142x12 axle in use. The frame will come standard with that axle and that dropout. If you want to upgrade to a QR 142, you just need to buy the Shimano axle and it will slide right in. If you have a 135x10 wheel that you want to use and can't upgrade your hub to a 142x12 system, you'll just need a set of the 135x10 dropouts. The entire dropout (the black piece held in place by two silver bolts) will come off and you'll put the 135x10 dropouts in their place. Hook up your existing wheel and you're good to go.

Really, it's all about having options. 142x12 offers enough of an advantage that there's no reason not to use it if you're building up a new bike. But plenty of riders wont be ready to make the switch or wont be able to change the axle system on their existing hubs, so the addition of a 10x135 dropout will allow that rider to get rolling affordably and quickly.
    So to you options is the important reason.
    Never had a need for a tool for my 07 fox fork with a 20mm thruaxle.
    And I never take my rear axle out of the hub to install the rear wheel, so I'm not seeing any ease of use advantage there.
    Certainly a design that prohibits the rear wheel from dropping out of the "dropouts" without removing the axle will lead to the ease of axle reinstall, thanks to machined hub inserts.
    But isn't this a problem solved by the problem being created in the first place? Is that a real advantage?

I get Syntace's claims, thanks to the dropout redesign, but I'm not seeing that design in the linked picture. And since your only talking about the shimano axle that must mean Transition isn't going to redesign the dropout right? Or is that for the future when the dust settles and 142 is the "new" "standard"?
    Along these lines there can be no stiffness advantage to just converting the hub cause the body remains the same 135mm width.
    Also in the link I posted from trek, they are pretty animate that the 142X12mm hub/axle alone, does not increase stiffness, it is only about ease of use. See my comment above for my thoughts on that.

I guess my questions still stand for Transition to answer.

I won't be buying a full suspension 29er but another transition is most certainly in my future, hence my curiosity in the "Expect to see these same dropouts on more and more bikes in the future".

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast