mtbr member

bottlerocket for trail/am riding?

Anyone ride a bottlerocket for am/trail riding? There's a nice one on craigslist and I've been thinking about trading my 2010 enduro for it. It has an adjustable seatpost and lyrik so it should be climb friendly. I love my enduro but I'm open to something new. I ride rocky socal terrain and hit drops no bigger than 4 feet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    In my opinion it's more bike than you need. But if it looks good and you think you would enjoy it go for it. Don't think it would pedal as good as the enduro but be way more fun every where else.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I did it for a while. Swapped the coil shock for a RP23, lightened up the build. I ended up selling it because while it worked alright, it was quite out of its element. I think I would have had a lot more success with a DHX Air on it - the RP23 does not suit the suspension, you lose all small bump sensitivity (tuning can help but not fix).

The bike rails berms well and feels best on flowy, jumpy trails. It is not meant for rocky, technical terrain so while it does fine, there are a ton of better options. I can't say it's a terrible idea for you to buy it, but I'm just offering my caution that you might be looking for a new bike again in a year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I love the bottle rocket, but i'd keep your enduro. Like the others said it's not meant for super rocky terrain. It is however at home on flowy berm and jump trails.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    you end up doing anything?

I just picked up a BR for my do-it-all bike and will be selling my 09 Enduro. I tend to lean my riding towards the FR stuff, but need to be able to get to the top and also need to ride some single track to/from some gravity stuff that I like.

I was fortunate enough to be able to pick up the BR before getting rid of my enduro so I could try it out. The key ingredient for me was the Lyric Uturn fork. I was struggling with the single track portion of the ride and about half way through I realized I could drop the fork a bit. Once I did that, the singletrack xc stuff was waaaay better. I actually cleared a couple uphill rooty,rocky sections that I couldn't clear on my Enduro with 160mm fork. Being able to have more fun on the gravity parts of my ride and knowing I could match the pedaling/climbing of my enduro made it a done deal. I ended up swapping over my wheelset and that lightened up the BR a little bit.

If I had a dropper post it would've been even better. There's a section that I flatter than I remember and I had my seat too low. I really should've stopped and raised my seat as it was difficult to get through that section. It turned downhill for 3 miles after that so I was able to catch up to my crew. Do you know what dropper post it was? I only know of one adjustable seatpost that will fit the BR. The RASE.

hope that helps.

mtbr member
    I use mine for everything, but i definitely have it built more for freeride and downhill then all mountain. It is my only bike and I ride it on all trails. Drop the rear end from 150 to 130 and the front from 180 to 140, raise the post and its a heavy trail bike But i love this thing at bike parks.
    bottlerocket for trail/am riding?-image00001.jpg

mtbr member
    I use my BottleRocket for trail riding, but it is not really the best option. The enduro would be a far better choice for what you are asking, in my opinion.

A medium BR doesn't give me full seat extension, is pretty heavy (about 38lbs with a stock build), rolls super slow with 2.5" minions, and the stock chain guide is terrible (super loud and lots of drag). It is a short travel freeride bike meant for jumps.

It is my favorite bike I have ever owned - I absolutely love it and will continue to ride everything on it. That said, I also can't wait to get a new covert! Transition makes a solid frame.

mtbr member
    I ended up trading the enduro for a super spec'd out jamis Dakar xam 2 and I'm buying a used covert frame to build up. Can't wait for the covert, it's the bike I've really wanted this entire time.