mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Bottlerocket Spring Rates

Just bought an '07 Botttlerocket and my first bike with a coil. Shock is a DHX 5.0 and has a 400 lb spring. I am 185 lbs and thinking I need to bump up the spring rate... recommendations?

Also thinking I set SAG based on spring rate, prior to fine tuning with air?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i'm at the same weight and run a 450lb spring on an 08 BR. Seems pretty good to me. Maybe a little on the firm side.

yes, sag is based on the spring rate.

I'm curious though, why do you think it needs to be bumped up.

-joel

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the info Joel. I am getting to much SAG with the 400 and feel like I am trying to compensate with too much air. Plus, I am using most of the travel on smaller drops and jumps.

mtbr member
    I weigh 160lbs and run a 500lb spring (probably 15% sag for me...definitely not very much). I do like my suspension pretty stiff because a) I ride hard, and b) I love being able to pump through smooth, flowy trails.

There is generally a very wide tolerance amongst steel springs (I forget what it is exactly, I want to say +/- 25 lbs). In my experience, a 50lb jump doesn't result in enough ride difference to justify it - which might be related to the tolerance issue noted.

I recommend you bump up 100 lbs. If you decide it is too much, then at least you know what your sweet spot will be.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Awesome info dk and confirms I need to start with a 500. Where does a guy order springs online?

mtbr member
    Fox Shox Spring Dhx/Van 2.0-2.5 Stroke > Components > Forks > Springs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

I think all BottleRockets use a 7.875x2.25 shock (the new V5 and V6 might be different, but I doubt it). This means you need a 2.25 inch stroke Fox spring (you can go slightly longer as well, but probably no more than a 2.5 in stroke spring).

The above website says the 500lb Fox will be available on Oct 3.

You could also try to get a spring from another brand, but I can't guarantee it will fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    You Rock! Thanks again for the info and links. A new learning experience for me.