mtbr member

Bottlerocket chainline

I've always run a single 2.5 mm spacer on the drive side to give what I thought was right around the recommended 51 mm chainline, using a Shimano 1x9 medium cage drivetrain, with Saint crank and 33T ring. I recently went to an X9 1x10 short cage setup and bumped up to a 34T ring and had one hell of a time getting the rear derailleur to move through all the gears smoothly....the chainline just looked off to the outside, so I removed the spacer which shortened it to right around 48-49 mm. With some more tweaking finally got everything buttery smooth, and it's been perfect ever since.

Anyone have similar issues, or am I just ignorantly missing something altogether? How much does it really matter to stick with that 51 mm chainline?

Really just curious more than anything!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Doesn't matter at all. A tighter chainline with 1x setups is generally preferred. If you were trying to run a granny ring and front derailleur it would not shift properly (or at all) to the small ring.

That chainline is in the spec list mostly to clarify it from the 56mm chainline used on 150mm rear end bikes.