mtbr member
    May 2007

blindside shock reviews

i have been reading all the blindside threads trying to get an idea about them. the one thing i am having trouble finding is what shock people like and why. i am running a roco on my bottlerocket and love it but i notice most people have dhx on their blindside, is there a reason for this. i also saw that spring weights can be confusing on that bike so i am wondering what people are finding works. i am 240-250 geared up and trying to decide tranny said 600 or 650 but they sell the bikes with 600 or 700 so... i think i have the build kit decided other than the shock. any help would be really appreciated.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeymas
    i have been reading all the blindside threads trying to get an idea about them. the one thing i am having trouble finding is what shock people like and why. i am running a roco on my bottlerocket and love it but i notice most people have dhx on their blindside, is there a reason for this. i also saw that spring weights can be confusing on that bike so i am wondering what people are finding works. i am 240-250 geared up and trying to decide tranny said 600 or 650 but they sell the bikes with 600 or 700 so... i think i have the build kit decided other than the shock. any help would be really appreciated.
    I had a Roco TST coil on mine. I really liked how it felt. Also, the TST feature was great for the limited climbing I did. Although, if I were to do it again, I'd likely go with the WC...after all it's a DH rig...who the hell cares about pedaling up hill anyway ?

BTW, I ran a 500# spring and weigh about 195 "all geared up". Gave me between 30 and 35% sag.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Still working it out myself after 4 good days of riding on the bike...

Me 165-170 lbs loaded
    Med frame
    2008 DHX5
    450 lb Ti spring
    135 psi in boost chamber
    3 clicks of propedal (slow speed compression)
    Past 1st line on bottom out resistance

I'm still finding it bottoms a bit hard some times and tends to get squirrelly in high speed rock gardens. Pop off jumps is pretty good though.

mtbr member
    back off propedal for the rock gardens. Get a heavier spring to compensate for zero propedal and to help with the bottoming. What do you weigh? I'm 210 and here are my settings.

600# Spring
    zero propedal
    130# in the boost chamber
    Bottom out is right on the middle line

With these settings it's plush and ramps up nicely.

I could probably go to a 650# spring but the 600# is doing fine for now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i have a roco wc...i'm 230 with gear and it came with a 600lb spring...well that sucked so bad. i couldn't get it to feel plush. I ended up putting a 500lb rockshox spring on it. they're shorter so i sag more in the travel. i also put about 180lbs of air in the shock. it seems with roco's the more air you put in the better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I weigh about 180 geared up. I run my 2008 DHX like this:
    -Just changed from a 500 to 550 spring
    -No propedal
    -125 psi in the boost chamber
    -Bottom out is on the third ring

Still got to have som more rides on the new spring but so far I like it

mtbr member
    Are you saying you have the Bottom out all the way opened or closed? I've found that anything more than halfway down on the bottom out makes the shock a bit too stiff. It is my understanding that the bottom out dial controls where the end stroke compression starts. If it starts too early you greatly reduce how plush the shock feel through full travel. If all you do is go huge and you're not worried about performance through rough technical stuff then cranking down the BO dial is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    All the way open For making the shock as plush as possible....

More Riding Less Internet
    I have a Roco on my BS. I've been riding the bike park for over 30 days this year with now issues. the thing feels great.

Kyle,

mtbr member
    May 2007
    so alot are running fox and like it, thats good to know i was thinking fox. i have a roco on my bottlerocket and love it but marz quality now is iffy. i was 2 months without this one when it broke. thom what do you like about the roco does it have enough settings, its so simple. does anyone have info on the vivid, it interests me but bottom out with bumpers only and 2 rebound seem weird.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I just spent two weeks at a bunch of bike parks on my new BS with a Vivid. I couldn't replace my 450# with a lighter spring in time for the trip, so the ride was a little unbalanced and my susp. settings were a bit of a compromise to tame the oversprung rear. That said, I could still use all the travel on hard landings and big hits. I weigh 155 without gear and I think a 350# coil would be the ticket. Spring weights are usually lighter than DHX's. The Vivid works really well in all situations. The bottom out bumper isn't just a chunk of rubber, it's a tuned, simple way to get every bit of the shock's stroke. The dual rebound lets you control 'pop' after hard compressions, like jump trannies and bucking after a landing, separately from the beginning stroke setting that keeps the wheel tracking.

mtbr member
    I want a vivid. Who want's my DHX LOL

mtbr member
    May 2007
    hmmm vivid sounds interesting maybe i will look into it for the order. they dont advertise it very well. do you have anymore info on it/tuning it? have you ridden other shocks that you can compare it too. i have a roco tst on my BR and i like it but im not sure i want another roco, i want a change up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Ha!
    Do it...

Just did a local trail ride tonight with my Blindside still set up for DH and the floater (noticeable difference) finally mounted. After days of bombing lift runs, it was weird to pedal and weave through tight trees. I had the Vivid dialed for the small bumps and slower pace with a couple 'noticeable' clicks. It was quick. You won't miss the vague adjustments and bottom out fiddling of the DHX unless you're a techie racer who needs his rig uber tuned to shave a second off his run.

Now to get rid of my 40 for a Boxxer....

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I can tell you that buying a Cane Creek for my B/S has been the best decision I've made when it's come to this bike.

You can have it all with this shock. And it has got to be the easiest shock of them all for adjustment and set-up, granted you take the time to work the shock and fine tune. I've got 8" of top quality travel now. Super plush and active, and ramps very nicely. Having intendant tuning on all four adjustments allows you to tune this shock to feel soooooooo freaking good on the B/S. The wheel is glued to the ground like I've never felt with another shock.

I've never owned a Vivid, or a Roco, but I've done Van's, DHX's, Swingers and Evolver's and none compare. Quite recently I've have some experience with the Vivid as well, and however brief I can say it's not the same quality as the CCDB - not even close.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Long-winded post alert!

Ok, so I wasn't very clear when I said that I felt that Rockshox had the damping figured out better than other brands. I was referring to the big three, Fox, Rockshox and Marz. Cane Creek's DB is undoubtedly a high quality damper, but high priced too. Foes and BOS Engineering are in a league of their own. The majority of riders are buying from the three big brands and they all have their faults/benefits. Manufacturers change their products, sometimes annually and the way or even location that they're produced, sometimes for the worst. I think that this year, Sram has it covered as far as quality and reliability for the buck goes. I've seen a lot of Boxxers on the hills, ridden and raced by plenty of satisfied people. If a Cane creek DB feels way better than a Vivid, I'll probably own one in the next couple of years.
    When are they producing a fork???

- Three bike minimum -