dontcha?

Idea! Blindside air shock thoughts?

I was playing with the idea of getting a Blindside, but the 205 mm of travel is a bit much for me.. I want something that rides like the bottlerocket, with the same amount of travel as my dirtbag.. I was looking at the transition site and I noticed they offer a DHX-Air with a 2.5" stroke as option over the dhx5-coil with a 2.75" stroke. That would effectively make the travel with the dhx-a 186mm, close to the dirtbag's 170mm of travel.. I'm trying to figure out what the geometry differences will be between the dirtbag (I ride a large and I'd probably ride a large blindside also), the blindside is slacked out 1.5 degree and .7" longer.. Anybody know what a2c of the fork the geometry of the blindside is based on? In any case, if any body's been riding a blindside with an air shock how do they like it? I'm just gonna swap everything from my dirtbag to the blindside including my totem, if do decide to do it..
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm thinking of buying an air shock for my Dirtbag - have you thougth about that too?

The Blindside will be to heavy to gain any advantage from the air shock. The Frame alone is listet with 8.6 lbs the Dirtgabs is 8,0 (was 8,2 in 2007 when I remember right but I don't see any changes with the frame)

I think I'm ordering one of those new Roco Airs

dontcha?
    Quote Originally Posted by firevsh2o
    I'm thinking of buying an air shock for my Dirtbag - have you thougth about that too?

The Blindside will be to heavy to gain any advantage from the air shock. The Frame alone is listet with 8.6 lbs the Dirtgabs is 8,0 (was 8,2 in 2007 when I remember right but I don't see any changes with the frame)

I think I'm ordering one of those new Roco Airs

I don't have an air shock on my dirtbag, just a ROCO wc..

Well I wasn't too concerned about the weight difference(I have an '06 dirtbag which is heavier than the 07's 8.2lb) , I was looking for feedback on the reduced travel with an air shock..

mtbr member
    why go air? if you want plush travel...u gotta go coil.

if you go dhx5.0 atleast u get a pedal platform and more tunability. a little slacker ha aint a bad thing....most of us rock em on the br with the 180mm marz forks

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    you could just get a shorter stroke coil?

btw its on the top of the transition geo chart but 578mm

Gex
    King of the hacks
    You get a platform on the air shock. I like it on the blindside. Its a pain to set up, but once it is done it is very plush. Should be vary reliable, at least I hope. Only time will tell. Plus I can always get a coil.

Just another FOC'er
    If you're not concerned about weight why not just put a slightly stiffer spring on the 2.75 stroke coil shock? Are you concerned the bottom out height will be too low with the longer shock?

I think the DB is spec'd at 66.5 deg with a 566 A-C fork and the BS is spec'd at 65 deg with a 578 fork. Based on that it looks like the BS would be 1 degree slacker for a given fork.

dontcha?
    ah ok so my totem is 565 a2c, so that should put me closer to that 66.5 deg head angle, zero stack reducer headset should put it even closer..
    I'm not concerned with the bottom out height, just feel like 205mm is too much travel and don't see a real reason to need that much.. I can't find a coil shock that's 8.75 i2i and 2.5" stroke..

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    avalanche

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by captain spaulding
    ah ok so my totem is 565 a2c, so that should put me closer to that 66.5 deg head angle, zero stack reducer headset should put it even closer..
    I'm not concerned with the bottom out height, just feel like 205mm is too much travel and don't see a real reason to need that much.. I can't find a coil shock that's 8.75 i2i and 2.5" stroke..
    I wish bike frame companies would say if their HA spec is using a zero stack headset, they never seem to though.

If the spec isn't for a zero stack you could probably get close enough to the 66.5 angle you're shooting for.

BTW, Specialized puts a spacer on the shaft of the DHX coil on the Demo 7 that limits the travel to 7".

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    cane creek double barrel

dontcha?
    monkey!

mtbr member
    Hey Capt you gonna get a BS kid !!!!

Is flexy
    Sucks for you the only shocks in that size are the "expensive" ones. A 7" travel BS with a CCDB might be the hottest sh1t ever.
    Good People... www.efingersports.com

dontcha?
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo
    Hey Capt you gonna get a BS kid !!!!
    considering it.. but not sold on it..

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by njhcx4xlife
    Sucks for you the only shocks in that size are the "expensive" ones. A 7" travel BS with a CCDB might be the hottest sh1t ever.
    i've got 2 ccdb's. 2.5" sroke and 2.75" stroke.

i'll send you the pictures when the frame arrives and i have it rigged up!

i'll be running the 2.75" though, as the 2.5" is mounted to my nomad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Get a ti coil
    Go BIG or Go HOME