mtbr member

Blindside with an 8.5x2.5 shock?

Anyone tried that to lower/ slacken one out a bit?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    reduces travel about an inch, but does work. Try the K9 cups also, kinda expensive but people are having good luck with them.
    The Dropnzone
    Bellingham,Wa
    www.dropnzone.com
    1-888-95 Pin it

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    you might want 150mm cranks if you went with that size shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_Money
    reduces travel about an inch, but does work. Try the K9 cups also, kinda expensive but people are having good luck with them.
    I've got a set in my BR I could swap over. Thing is, lowering the BB would be of interest too, so the short shock sounds more appealing.

Anyone have any real world #s on the BB height/ HTA with this setup?

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    I've got a set in my BR I could swap over. Thing is, lowering the BB would be of interest too, so the short shock sounds more appealing.

Anyone have any real world #s on the BB height/ HTA with this setup?
    Using the geometry changes on the TR450 adjustments as a baseline, where 0.25" BB height change = 0.5 degree HA change:

The average leverage rate on the Blindside is about 3, so shortening the Blindside shock by 0.25" lowers the BB by about 0.75" , and slackens the head angle by about 1.5 degrees, which would give you approximate geometry of:

BB Height: 13.5"
    Head angle: 63.5 degrees
    The rest of the geometry changes shouldn't matter

Geometry-wise, that looks pretty good for DH race. The rear travel would be about 7.4". It sounds like an interesting setup, if I had a Blindside, I would probably try this for DH racing. And, yeah, I agree, I'd be more interested in lowering the BB than making the HA more slack.

Also, if you shortened the rear shock by maybe 0.2" or so, then slide the fork stanchions up in the crowns a little, you could get the same low BB height of ~13.5" with a HA of about 64 degrees, if you didn't want to go quite as slack as 63.5.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa
    Using the geometry changes on the TR450 adjustments as a baseline, where 0.25" BB height change = 0.5 degree HA change:

The average leverage rate on the Blindside is about 3, so shortening the Blindside shock by 0.25" lowers the BB by about 0.75" , and slackens the head angle by about 1.5 degrees, which would give you approximate geometry of:

BB Height: 13.5"
    Head angle: 63.5 degrees
    The rest of the geometry changes shouldn't matter

Geometry-wise, that looks pretty good for DH race. The rear travel would be about 7.4". It sounds like an interesting setup, if I had a Blindside, I would probably try this for DH racing. And, yeah, I agree, I'd be more interested in lowering the BB than making the HA more slack.

Also, if you shortened the rear shock by maybe 0.2" or so, then slide the fork stanchions up in the crowns a little, you could get the same low BB height of ~13.5" with a HA of about 64 degrees, if you didn't want to go quite as slack as 63.5.

This is good info! I was thinking about doing this and running a Fox 36 up front. Make the bike a little shorter travel so its a little more poppy off of lips but some more travel than the Bottlerocket for the rough stuff. Anyone done this or what are your thoughts on giving this a go with the shorter fork up front too?

aaarrrggghh!

My 2 cents.....

I've got a Blindside with a 8.75 x 2.5 DHX-Air and an 06 Marz. 66 RC2X with 170mm fork on it. I think the axle to crown of the 66 is pretty close to the Fox 36 with 160mm. Not exact but close enough for the sake of comparison.

We have a bike park here with lots of berms and jumps, kind of slopestylie in nature. I also have a Boxxer and 8.75 x 2.75 DHX 5.0 for the bike for rougher trails or riding up in BC. The bike currently weight just under 40lb. as it sits in the photo. This set up is great for jumping and railing berms and doesn't feel too different than the Bottlerocket I used to have, just a little more plush in the back. If you set one up like this it makes it pretty versatile as a freeride bike. I'm having a good time with it when I get to ride, damn snow and ice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blindside with an 8.5x2.5 shock?-blindside.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Sweet! Thanks! That is exactly what I am looking for. I presently have mine set up with a Boxxer and a vivid. I have a 36 and a DHX air that is 8.75" x 2.5". I will have to give it a try. Ultimately I will be going to a size small instead of the medium i am presently on. I think this will be the best of both worlds between my bottlerocket which is a small and my blindside, it'll be nice and flickable with a touch more travel for the rough stuff.

mtbr member
    Ivan - No problem w/ pedal strikes? I did a shorter shock setup on my Uzzi VPX and had a horrible time w/ pedal strikes here in rocky Western Colorado. The Driver 8 has caught my eye, but I'm thinking a Blindside w/ a shorter shock would be a much cheaper alternative.

aaarrrggghh!
    Nope. Here's why. Stock shock is 8.75 eye to eye with a 2.75 stroke. I run a 8.75 eye to eye with a 2.5 stroke. So effectively my static bottom bracket height is the same and I actually sag less into the travel because there isn't as much stroke. So going with this set up actually decreases pedal strikes somewhat. I don't think I'd want to run a 8.5 on the Blindside. For my tastes it would be too low and would even be in danger of pedal strikes pedaling out of berms and stuff. My set up gives me the right travel and pop for jumping and stuff like that. IMHO anyway.

mtbr member
    Hmmmmm............ That is very interesting to know......

Transition Blindside v5
    Hi folks,

I happen to have an extra shock left from my '07/v1 BottleRocket (7.875"x2.25"), and wondering if it's "practically" usable for my '11/v5 Blindside (8.75"x2.75") on certain occasions/setups, or is that way too much in difference?

With both the eye-to-eye and the stroke being shorter, I know it'll change both the geo & travel. (But how much?)

Thanks,
    - PiroChu