mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Which bearing tool kit?

Hi all, can anyone point me in the right direction for a kit to remove/replace bearings for a scout?
    Put your phone down and get riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Super reply, many thanks.
    Put your phone down and get riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm sure there's a good reason not to but I'll ask anyway--why not just use the pivot axle to press the bearings in? For my Bandit's main pivot, it looks like this should work so long as the front triangle is in place to keep the chainstay from compressing while pressing the bearings in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    A brief follow-up to share how I went about changing the bearings in my Smuggler.

As mentioned, I didn't purchase a bearing press for this job but rather went to Lowe's and spent less than $5 to get what I needed.

For bearing removal I used a 1/4" X 4" threaded bolt with sockets. To catch the bearings, I used a 1 1/16 socket - to press them out, it was either a 14mm or 17mm depending on which bearings I was pressing out.

Here is what my removal setup looks like:

Attachment 1048011

All set-up and ready to press a 6902 bearing out:

Attachment 1048012

For the 6903 bearings at the main pivot axle, you'll notice a sleeve that sits between the two bearings that has notches on one say. Those notches are so that you can get a punch in there (or screwdriver) and punch that one side out. Once you have the one bearing removed, you can take a long socket and tap the other bearing out. Sorry but I didn't get pics of this step or know the exact size of the long socket.

Keep one of each size of the bearings removed as you'll use them for install.

For install, I used a 1/2" X 3" threaded bolt and washers:

Attachment 1048013

In the pic above, you see a 2" and 3" bolt. The 2" isn't long enough to install the 6903 bearings at the main pivot axle.

Here is a pic setup for install:

Attachment 1048014

Extremely important: you must make sure the bearing is seated flush before you start pressing it in. Make sure you have plenty of grease on both the bearing and the frame. AND TAKE YOUR TIME!

I would get the bearing about 1/2 way pressed it and then remove the nut and washers. Then install and perfectly align your old bearing of the same size on top of the new bearing. Perfect alignment is critical. Then slowly press the new bearing in the rest of the way.

Here is a pic of that (you can see the new bearing barely protruding):

Attachment 1048015

The reason to use the old bearing to finish pressing in the new bearing is because when fully seated, it's recessed a bit:

Attachment 1048017

For the 6903 bearings at the main pivot axle, I pressed the drive side bearing in first and then the non-drive side. For the drive side, depending on the size of your washers, you may have to use the old bearing from the start to clear the lip that goes around the axle.

Before someone asks why I used two different size bolts for uninstalling and installing... I used a 1/4" for removal to ensure it would fit through the sockets I needed to use to push the bearings out. I then sized up to 1/2" for install based on past experience as I find it easier to align everything with the larger bolt and easier when pressing the bearings in. Everyone's experience may be different but this is what works best for me.

FWIW, I do have some experience in this area so I was comfortable tackling this job. I did seek guidance from TR (thanks Dave and Josh!) before proceeding a couple of times to ensure I fully understood the process. That being said, this is not a job for someone with limited mechanical abilities so please heed that guidance seriously.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. Hope this is helpful to those that decide to tackle this job when the time comes.
    Excellent post!! thanks for documenting this!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by gibsonlespaulspecial View Post
    I'm sure there's a good reason not to but I'll ask anyway--why not just use the pivot axle to press the bearings in? For my Bandit's main pivot, it looks like this should work so long as the front triangle is in place to keep the chainstay from compressing while pressing the bearings in.

You need to press the new bearings in from the outer race, the axle would put force through the inner race. Not good.