Thread: Bandit riders

one sick puppy

Bandit riders

I've been looking at making the jump from my 26er to a 29er. I know, I'm late jumping on the bandwagon. I demoed a Salsa Horsethief, which I really liked a lot, and also was thinking long and hard about the Devinci Atlas. BUT, I keep seeing these Bandit frames on sale and the reviews are all very positive. Problem is, the reviews may be a bit outdated. I don't know if a Bandit would compare well with the Atlas and Horsethief, and also, how skinny could I build up a Bandit. Would like to keep a new 29er under 30 lbs. Thanks for any and all info and opinions. Have a great Thanksgiving!!
    Saddle up, Effendi. We ride.

mtbr member
    I'm riding a 2013 b29 in medium. Built up kindaskinny. Rocking 28pounds including mud and innertube. Thinking I could drop another pound by changing the bars, dropping the spare innertube and giving het a spongebath. If money was no object more carbon fiber could drop even more!

I love the ride on this bike! And the haven wheels have been keeping up with me more than I expected!
    Bandit riders-img_0311.jpgBandit riders-img_0310.jpg

one sick puppy
    Hey bettes, Thanks for the reply. I see you're running a 1 x ?. How is your Bandit specced out to keep it at 28 lbs?

mtbr member
    From the bandit photo tread:
    Just finished my build... What do you think?
    Attachment 774375
    Attachment 774376

Medium 2013 stealth black/grey
    Revelation RCT3 140 20mm
    FSA Cheapo headset (CK on order)
    Renthal duo stem now a easton ea70 70mm for winter
    Element nickel-wide bars cut to 730mm
    yellow esi grips
    Reverb 125 now an easton ec90 for winter
    fizik antares carbon (cadel evans edition)
    Easton Haven wheels
    Schwalbe Rocket ron 2.25 setup with stans
    X9 shifter
    X9 type 2 RD medium
    1070 11-36 Cassette with wolftooth GC and 16T dura-ace cog
    1071 chain
    s2210 (X.0) crank with 33T E13 guide ring now with wolftooth 30t direct mount
    E13 TRS+ chainguide (only the top part for trail riding) gone
    Formula the one brakes (180-160) now with 200-180 discs
    CB mallet pedals xt trail pedals

Cannonball!
    Bandit riders-770438d1360533364-transition-bandit-29-photo-thread-bandit3.jpg

Mine was a 26lbs 9oz, as shown, but is built much more rugged now and is still under 30 with KS dropper, Pike, FlowEXs, and CC DBinline. I still love it for my style (or lack there of) it just works! Right now, the only thing that could convince me to get rid of it would be if Transition came out with a Carbon Smuggler!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hey there Coiler-D I have a 2012 Bandit and been considering to change my rear shock to CCDBA Inline called Cane creek they said they haven't tried the shock to install to Bandit so been looking on-line for someone who has it on their bike, so how do you like it? No problem so far?Bandit riders-img_2821.jpg

one sick puppy
    Thanks Bettes. Very close to pulling the trigger on a Bandit 29 frame and will probably be using your build as a template. Probably build it up slow over the winter and try to look for the best deals in my shopping. I'm excited to see it's possible for you and Coiler to keep the Bandits so skinny.

Cannonball!
    DB Inline is great, way better damping than the Fox CTD, through the full stroke. I haven't fully got it 100% dialed because I don't have many rides on it, but it has great small bump compliance, doesn't bob through the mid stroke and ramps enough at the end to prevent harsh bottom outs. I still think there could be a problem with mine and I am tempted to send it back to have it looked at. It feels just slightly rough through the stroke. I think it is maybe a seal dragging or something, but even with that, it rides better than before!

Cannonball!
    Quote Originally Posted by YetiBear View Post
    Thanks Bettes. Very close to pulling the trigger on a Bandit 29 frame and will probably be using your build as a template. Probably build it up slow over the winter and try to look for the best deals in my shopping. I'm excited to see it's possible for you and Coiler to keep the Bandits so skinny.
    I started out trying to keep it skinny and even left the dropper off intentionally, but I soon realized just how fun and capable this thing is. I sold my 6" travel 26" bike, beefed this ride up, and have never looked back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler-d View Post
    I started out trying to keep it skinny and even left the dropper off intentionally, but I soon realized just how fun and capable this thing is. I sold my 6" travel 26" bike, beefed this ride up, and have never looked back.
    Over the summer I beef her up with a reverb and fat maxxis tires. I've a pair of turner 5spots in the basement that are collecting dust...
    I'm going to try and run a pushed VanR coilover i have around in the back of the b29. See how she handels that!

It can take quite a bit of heft for a b29 not to be fun anymore, but lightish wheel is where it's at!

Now just make a carbon smuggler and I'll be all over that!