Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bandit riders

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  bettes 
#1 ·
I've been looking at making the jump from my 26er to a 29er. I know, I'm late jumping on the bandwagon. I demoed a Salsa Horsethief, which I really liked a lot, and also was thinking long and hard about the Devinci Atlas. BUT, I keep seeing these Bandit frames on sale and the reviews are all very positive. Problem is, the reviews may be a bit outdated. I don't know if a Bandit would compare well with the Atlas and Horsethief, and also, how skinny could I build up a Bandit. Would like to keep a new 29er under 30 lbs. Thanks for any and all info and opinions. Have a great Thanksgiving!!

#2 ·
I'm riding a 2013 b29 in medium. Built up kindaskinny. Rocking 28pounds including mud and innertube. Thinking I could drop another pound by changing the bars, dropping the spare innertube and giving het a spongebath. If money was no object more carbon fiber could drop even more!

I love the ride on this bike! And the haven wheels have been keeping up with me more than I expected!
Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle accessory Bicycle tire Bicycle part Technology
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork

#4 ·
From the bandit photo tread:
Just finished my build... What do you think?
View attachment 774375
View attachment 774376

Medium 2013 stealth black/grey
Revelation RCT3 140 20mm
FSA Cheapo headset (CK on order)
Renthal duo stem now a easton ea70 70mm for winter
Element nickel-wide bars cut to 730mm
yellow esi grips
Reverb 125 now an easton ec90 for winter
fizik antares carbon (cadel evans edition)
Easton Haven wheels
Schwalbe Rocket ron 2.25 setup with stans
X9 shifter
X9 type 2 RD medium
1070 11-36 Cassette with wolftooth GC and 16T dura-ace cog
1071 chain
s2210 (X.0) crank with 33T E13 guide ring now with wolftooth 30t direct mount
E13 TRS+ chainguide (only the top part for trail riding) gone
Formula the one brakes (180-160) now with 200-180 discs
CB mallet pedals xt trail pedals

#5 ·
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle fork

Mine was a 26lbs 9oz, as shown, but is built much more rugged now and is still under 30 with KS dropper, Pike, FlowEXs, and CC DBinline. I still love it for my style (or lack there of) it just works! Right now, the only thing that could convince me to get rid of it would be if Transition came out with a Carbon Smuggler!

#6 ·
Hey there Coiler-D I have a 2012 Bandit and been considering to change my rear shock to CCDBA Inline called Cane creek they said they haven't tried the shock to install to Bandit so been looking on-line for someone who has it on their bike, so how do you like it? No problem so far? Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

#7 ·
Thanks Bettes. Very close to pulling the trigger on a Bandit 29 frame and will probably be using your build as a template. Probably build it up slow over the winter and try to look for the best deals in my shopping. I'm excited to see it's possible for you and Coiler to keep the Bandits so skinny.

#8 ·
DB Inline is great, way better damping than the Fox CTD, through the full stroke. I haven't fully got it 100% dialed because I don't have many rides on it, but it has great small bump compliance, doesn't bob through the mid stroke and ramps enough at the end to prevent harsh bottom outs. I still think there could be a problem with mine and I am tempted to send it back to have it looked at. It feels just slightly rough through the stroke. I think it is maybe a seal dragging or something, but even with that, it rides better than before!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.