mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Bandit carbon (for reals)

I want a new frame that doesnt exist(yet):
    Carbon bandit 26, add .5" to top tubes.
    Shorter head tubes so I can run a longer fork and still have bars lower.
    Drop 3/4 pound weight.
    Keep up the great mustache's!

Cause not everyone lives in real mountains. Covert is overkill - and I can push a bike (ax sumbody), but in TX and surrounding areas it's short steep ups n downs so we're not really seeing over 30'ish mph and that's only for a 10 second period (if that). The topography of the US just makes me think there's a huge untapped demographic of non-mountain riders (see what I did there). Maybe I'm wrong, but the bike I'd want in the mountains is a covert, the bike I'd want in rolling hills is the Bandit.

Or a lighter 140 Covert - hmmm.
    ORP

mtbr member
    And maybe a 650b option. Or dropouts at least.

wheelie king
    I agree with Grizzy.

mtbr member
    I am certainly intrigued by 650B modularity...in my worthless opinion that would yield more noticable results than exotic weight-savings. It would be a sexy little bastid though!
    Time wounds all heels...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Carbon is stiffer. Bigger wheels are harder to accelerate (29'er/650 is a gay ass trend to sell more bikes in my worthless opinion).

There was a TED talk on Internet marketing about how sales are driven by being different, not just really good. I think the Niner guy heard it, took a shot and everybody bought in. I mean, that dude is like 5'4 - why the truck would he even be thinking 29 unless it was some transmuted projection of being short and having a little weeny. In Texas those guys buy huge trucks, but if you ask any s1u+ they'll confirm it the little guy complex.

What I'm saying, subtly, is that I do not like the idea of a 650 wheel.
    ORP

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    For a company like Transition it makes sense to try designing frames that will fit 26" and 650b, whether that be off the shelf or with a different dropout. Why limit yourself to 650b sales or 26" sales if you can do both with the same frame?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    I want a new frame that doesnt exist(yet):
    Carbon bandit 26, add .5" to top tubes.
    Shorter head tubes so I can run a longer fork and still have bars lower.
    Drop 3/4 pound weight.
    Keep up the great mustache's!

Cause not everyone lives in real mountains. Covert is overkill - and I can push a bike (ax sumbody), but in TX and surrounding areas it's short steep ups n downs so we're not really seeing over 30'ish mph and that's only for a 10 second period (if that). The topography of the US just makes me think there's a huge untapped demographic of non-mountain riders (see what I did there). Maybe I'm wrong, but the bike I'd want in the mountains is a covert, the bike I'd want in rolling hills is the Bandit.

Or a lighter 140 Covert - hmmm.
    Have you looked at Ibis?

mtbr member
    I wanted a bike like you're describing, sold my Covert and bought a Blur TRc
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

mtbr member
    I almost started this exact thread about a month ago. The bandit is an absolutely brilliant bike, had the pleasure of riding mine all over the US this summer in most types of terrain. It’s by far my favorite ‘trail bike’ to date. The only bike I could see replacing it for me is a specialized carbon evo…That said, this bike is BEGGING to be carbon and 26”/650b compatible, give the customer the choice right?

My wish list for a carbon bandit if anyone is listening…
    -Carbon Frame (Matte Black or nude color option save the loud graphics)
    -650b/26” dropout options
    -Adjustable HA via ‘chips’ down to 67 degrees
    -Stealth seat post routing
    -Down tube protection

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manhattanprjkt83 View Post
    I almost started this exact thread about a month ago. The bandit is an absolutely brilliant bike, had the pleasure of riding mine all over the US this summer in most types of terrain. It’s by far my favorite ‘trail bike’ to date. The only bike I could see replacing it for me is a specialized carbon evo…That said, this bike is BEGGING to be carbon and 26”/650b compatible, give the customer the choice right?

My wish list for a carbon bandit if anyone is listening…
    -Carbon Frame (Matte Black or nude color option save the loud graphics)
    -650b/26” dropout options
    -Adjustable HA via ‘chips’ down to 67 degrees
    -Stealth seat post routing
    -Down tube protection
    Amen, brother! I'd even take an aluminum version!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    Amen, brother! I'd even take an aluminum version!
    You know i would to...However, carbon would greatly improve my internet swag.