mtbr member

bandit or blindside weeeeeeeeeowwwwwwww

I can't decide on my next bike. I finally got a great career that will allow me to purchase a high end bike. I've been very strongly leaning towards a transition. Now the question is the big hoops or the little ones? I used to ride a GT Sensor 29er and the bike was 120mm of travel and amazingly smooth and fast downhill. I loved the longer travel 29er but it was soooooooooooooooooooooooooo long and felt really cumbersome. I also like to spend quite a bit of time off the ground and I could feel that my loss of gravity was being hindered by the big hoops. However the overall ride experience was worth it. I've heard that the bandit is quite flickable for a 29er but have yet to get on one, my local dealer is out of stock until summer!

I've never owned a longer travel 26er. My bike before my Sensor was an Specialized FSR XC with 100mm of travel front and rear. The Sensor felt like a Cadillac in comparison. I know I'll never be doing 5 ft+ drops to utilize all the travel of the blindside. I've narrowed my picks down to a few bikes. Transition admittedly has the best deals on their build kits too. It's a smaller company though so my doubts are in the customer service department.

26er's
    Trek Slash(freefloater is awesome)
    Transition Blindside
    Santa Cruz Nomad

29er's
    Transition Bandit
    Kona Satori
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LT

re member
    Customer service at TR is top notch, don't need to worry about that. As for which bike, those two are pretty different. Maybe split the difference and get a Covert?
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Yes, top notch customer service from TR. That shouldn't be a worry in your decision making process.

Give them a call and see what they think about your dilemma and what they recommend for your riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveagibsonsg View Post
    I can't decide on my next bike. I finally got a great career that will allow me to purchase a high end bike. I've been very strongly leaning towards a transition. Now the question is the big hoops or the little ones? I used to ride a GT Sensor 29er and the bike was 120mm of travel and amazingly smooth and fast downhill. I loved the longer travel 29er but it was soooooooooooooooooooooooooo long and felt really cumbersome. I also like to spend quite a bit of time off the ground and I could feel that my loss of gravity was being hindered by the big hoops. However the overall ride experience was worth it. I've heard that the bandit is quite flickable for a 29er but have yet to get on one, my local dealer is out of stock until summer!

I've never owned a longer travel 26er. My bike before my Sensor was an Specialized FSR XC with 100mm of travel front and rear. The Sensor felt like a Cadillac in comparison. I know I'll never be doing 5 ft+ drops to utilize all the travel of the blindside. I've narrowed my picks down to a few bikes. Transition admittedly has the best deals on their build kits too. It's a smaller company though so my doubts are in the customer service department.

26er's
    Trek Slash(freefloater is awesome)
    Transition Blindside
    Santa Cruz Nomad

29er's
    Transition Bandit
    Kona Satori
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LT
    Bandit 29! It isn't shy of air time and the geo is designed to make it fun to ride, nimble and very unlike the stereotypes people have for 29ers. Great build kit spec and price too. In my opinion an optional upgade to a Reverb is a must.

If you have any more questions give us a call, send us an email or post on here. Ultimately I would let our regular customer base answer your question as well... I think there are a lot of Bandit 29 fans in here, but either way I am sure real world feedback is the best you can get.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Maybe split the difference and get a Covert?
    I second that!
    Get a Covert and you will have the best of both words

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by luke_ View Post
    I second that!
    Get a Covert and you will have the best of both words
    The covert is probably the best deal on a bike for your money. My local transition dealer has one in stock but I'm going to wait to ride the bandit before I pull the trigger. I like the big hoops but I come from a bmx background so i miss being able to get 3 feet off the ground on just a little bump in the trail.

Screw it ill buy both, girlfriends engagement ring can wait. I hope she doesnt read this!!!!!!!!

backwoods and backwards
    blindside is really a gravity bike at it's heart. I love it but don't buy one if you want a trail bike. Get a covert.
    Live the life you love!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I ride a Bandit 29 as my only mountain bike right now and like the TBC guys say, it's good at everything and does not feel like a 29er except that you roll over stuff so easily. I do find you notice on the big hits that it doesn't have a ton of travel (drops/jumps without transition) but otherwise it's more plush and faster through the rough than my Bottlerocket was, while kicking ass going up.

B29 if you're looking to enjoy both down and up. Blindside is a pedalable freeride bike, it is not going to allow you to enjoy the climb nearly as much but if you ride trails with lots of drops and speed, then it makes sense.

Personally, I'm planning to add a TR250 to my stable in the future for those gravity days. The Blindside has its place but I'd much rather be on the DH-inspired TR250 if I'm going to sacrifice the climbing anyway.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker