Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Bandit with 650B?

Anyone try putting a 650B rear wheel into the Bandit? Got a good close up pic of the front chain stay area?

Seat stays have no brace so no problem. With 650B you need 1/2" more clearance in the front chain stay area than a 26" wheel (they are really only 1" bigger total diameter than a 26" wheel not 1.5"). Other issues would be if the tire would contact the seat post at full bottom out. My hunch is no with only 130mm travel and 74 degree STA

1st I really like 650B F/B (on my Prophet now) and 2nd it would raise the to low IMO BB of the Bandit a 1/2" to an acceptable 13.7" for the rocks here in new England.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

The White Jeff W
    Haven't tried it myself but on the geo chart they claim it will fit a 26 x 2.5 tire. At worst I'd think a smaller 650B tire would work.

Transition Bikes
    No moss...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Haven't tried it myself but on the geo chart they claim it will fit a 26 x 2.5 tire. At worst I'd think a smaller 650B tire would work.

Transition Bikes
    Yup, I did see that thanks!

Maybe someone would be so kind as to snap a close up pic(s) for me of their Bandit at the front of the chain stay arch with a 26" wheel/tire combo. 1/2"+ (5/8") is what I'm looking for.

Also maybe a tire/seat tube measurment pic with the shock bottomed out with no air. Again 1/2"+ (5/8") is what I'm looking for.

Thanks you!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    with a 2.35 Maxxis Larsen there is almost an inch between the tire and the arch.

at full compression (shock bottomed, no air) it's tighter, just 1/2" and the Larsen doesn't have an aggressive tread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bandit with 650B?-edit.jpg  

Bandit with 650B?-edit-2.jpg  

Last edited by davet; 01-02-2012 at 10:49 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Davet, thanks for those great pics!!

Chain stay is wow, lots of space and should be no problem.

Seat tube is soooo close to call without putting a wheel on to see. I use a Pacenti Neo-Moto 2.3" tire with a mounted OD of 704mm. I couldn't find any listed OD of the Maxxis Larsen 2.35". I really wouldn't want to space the shock travel as it's only 130mm now. There is 1 "somewhat" local dealer who carries Transition bikes so I'll have to see if he's got a Bandit in stock for me to try my wheel on.

Otherwise is anyone has a 650B wheel they can try on a Bandit let us know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post

Seat tube is soooo close to call without putting a wheel on to see. I use a Pacenti Neo-Moto 2.3" tire with a mounted OD of 704mm. I couldn't find any listed OD of the Maxxis Larsen 2.35". I really wouldn't want to space the shock travel as it's only 130mm now. There is 1 "somewhat" local dealer who carries Transition bikes so I'll have to see if he's got a Bandit in stock for me to try my wheel on.

I can get you an od on the rim/tire combo tonight, for comparison purposes. Listed od's won't mean much as it will vary with rim width won't it?
    Last edited by davet; 01-04-2012 at 12:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Keep in mind that that 1/2" of space is not counting compression in the bottom out bumper, or flex in the frame under load. It will get even closer than that...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Keep in mind that that 1/2" of space is not counting compression in the bottom out bumper, or flex in the frame under load. It will get even closer than that...
    True, there was 1/4" left showing on the shock shaft in that photos. I simply compressed the shock until it bottomed and cinched up a strap to hold it while I measured. A full bottom out would take it closer.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I look at shock stroke for bottom out and measure at the o-ring compared to what Fox says it should be for that particular shock. Some shocks aren't gonna push the o-ring off the shaft. My CD has an RP23 with 2" stroke and leaves about 1/4". If that was the 2.25" stroke version of the same shock the o-ring would be off.

Anyway, it looks like it's not gonna work on the Bandit which is ashame. That would be a sweet little bike with a full 650B conversion. As is IMO the BB is to low for New England rocks but with 650B wheels about perfect.

Hey Transition bikes...how about offering an optional slightly tweaked rear triangle for us 650B lovers out there

Davet... thanks for the info and pics. Enjoy your new Bandit

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I look at shock stroke for bottom out and measure at the o-ring compared to what Fox says it should be for that particular shock. Some shocks aren't gonna push the o-ring off the shaft. My CD has an RP23 with 2" stroke and leaves about 1/4". If that was the 2.25" stroke version of the same shock the o-ring would be off.

Anyway, it looks like it's not gonna work on the Bandit which is ashame. That would be a sweet little bike with a full 650B conversion. As is IMO the BB is to low for New England rocks but with 650B wheels about perfect.

Hey Transition bikes...how about offering an optional slightly tweaked rear triangle for us 650B lovers out there

out of curiosity I took another look and some more measurements. The o-ring on the shock is a full 2" from the seal so I'd guess that was full travel. It did feel like a hard bottom when I compressed the suspension. So that's a plus for you. I then measured my tire diameter at 680mm. So the difference of 24mm (from your tire measured diameter of 704mm) cut in half is 14mm, slightly more than 1/2". It's close, really close but I'd think enough for you to explore it a bit more if it's really what you want.

Addicted
    May 2006

The dropouts bolt on to allow for a 142x12 or 135x10 rear hub right?
    Machine up some different dropouts to get the wheel where you want it/so it will work and you're done.

the train keeps rollin
    OP, why not a 650b specific frame?

69er: El Basardo
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The dropouts bolt on to allow for a 142x12 or 135x10 rear hub right?
    Machine up some different dropouts to get the wheel where you want it/so it will work and you're done.
    Are the dropouts bolt on on both sides? I don't think so but if so it might be a possibility for Transition to do this. One reason I like this bike is the 12mm axle option and ISCG on a nice lightweight trailbike. Still not to common. Also I like the 74 degree STA. For my riding in New England the geo. is about perfect with a 140mm fork (and with 650B wheels to raise the BB height 1/2" for rocks)

[QUOTEOP, why not a 650b specific frame?][/QUOTE]

I'm aware of the El Bastardo. Just not my cup of tea. Old suspension design, 27.2 seat post, no tapered head tube, QR dropouts, weight etc. Their new El Ciclon is pretty nice (and it's not gonna follow to the El Bastardo sadly) and has bolt on dropouts both sides. Ventana's owners are 650B savy and there might be a possibility of custom 12mm dropouts for 650B wheels on the El Ciclon. Frame is heavier than I would like though. Ventana will also do custom tweaks if you want to pony up the coin.

mtbr member
    Are the dropouts bolt on on both sides?
    Yes - replaceable on both sides.

I have a Bandit in the Seacoast NH area if you want to try it out for shits and giggles some time.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    Yes - replaceable on both sides.

I have a Bandit in the Seacoast NH area if you want to try it out for shits and giggles some time.
    Yup, that would be really great. PM me with contact info.

What size Bandit and dropouts?

mtbr member
    What size Bandit and dropouts?
    Medium, 2011 frame without the bolt-on dropouts.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    OP, why not a 650b specific frame?

69er: El Basardo
    UPDATE... after pestering Ventana with 650B questions they informed me that yes they are gonna build a new 650B bike for next spring primarily because Fox will be introducing a 650B specific fork Almost for sure you will see a 650B Turner 5 Spot as well very soon.

Cats out of the bag and the 650B snowball is rolling

mtbr member
    someone get Toby a 650b wheel/tire combo so he can test for fit!!! Pronto! I'd do it myself but that would be a drive just to test for fit.

Hrmmmmm........wonder if Cutting Edge in Berlin, CT has a Bandit on the floor. Must call.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    someone get Toby a 650b wheel/tire combo so he can test for fit!!! Pronto! I'd do it myself but that would be a drive just to test for fit.

Hrmmmmm........wonder if Cutting Edge in Berlin, CT has a Bandit on the floor. Must call.
    I think it should fit but the seat post becomes the issue. Maybe a smaller 650B tire and it wont hit. Don't want to give up any travel by shock shimming.

I've emailed Transition again about 650B dropouts or rear triangle so hopefully get a positive response. This bike would be a little ripper with 650B wheels. Those guys have to be at least tinkering with it like Intense did with optional droputs on the Carbine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post

Ha! Funny, Mark!

Someone is itching to get a Bandit, huh?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Kevin has run 650b on his personal Bandit. He had Stans Flow rims with a 2.1 Kenda K-Rad. That particular tire/rim combo does hit the seat tube pretty significantly. He has sizeable wear marks in it, and you can feel the center ridge fromt he gap in the K-Rad tread.

Of course damage to the seat tube wouldn't be covered under warranty, but on the flip side, with a little smaller tire it would probably take a LONG time to do enough damage to be an issue. And since the frame is not a "walking link" (think Kona Stinky) the seat tube isn't under a lot of stress.

For what it is worth...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If someone really wanted to run 650b on a Bandit with the replaceable dropouts they could get custom dropouts made.

North Shore Billet in Whistler would likely be a good candidate to ask about getting some custom ones made. North Shore Billet

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    If someone really wanted to run 650b on a Bandit with the replaceable dropouts they could get custom dropouts made.

North Shore Billet in Whistler would likely be a good candidate to ask about getting some custom ones made. North Shore Billet
    That's a cool idea, and maybe a potential solution if they are game to do/try it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Did you ever get the 650b dropouts made?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I am ready for a 650b Bandit also. Have been looking real hard at Transition bikes i am very impressed. I think the bandit would fly. Just waiting on the whole 650b thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast